• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using Air Miles on Partner Airlines

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just wanted to share a real life experience I've just gone through:

We need to fly from Seattle to San Diego for a family reunion later this Summer. Spouse and I each have 25K+ Alaska Air miles in our FF accounts. Historically, this has been enough for a round trip on a domestic flight. I figure it's a good use of the miles, so I start shopping for flights. I wasn't happy with what I found.

If I want to keep it at 25K miles each, it requires a really poor itinerary from Seattle to San Diego, with lengthy layovers of several hours each way. Ridiculous schedules. But I can get nonstop flights with a decent schedule - if I want to spend 32.5K miles each.

Not happy, I try and find other options. Turns out Delta is a Partner Airline to Alaska. And I can use Alaska miles on Delta flights. What do you think I find?

Yep: Nonstop flights with reasonable itineraries from Seattle to San Diego for 25K miles each. Ding ding ding! We have a winner!! I booked the flights, and I'm doing the Happy Dance.

Then, to sweeten the pot, I check to see what I can do with the 25K+ miles I have sitting in my Delta FF account for a long time. I booked r/t airfare for my sister to go with us, on the same flights, sitting in adjacent seats with us.

So all three of us are going to the family reunion. I got decent flights in three itineraries with air miles from three accounts, and I used up the Delta miles I didn't think I'd be able to use. I'm a happy camper.

The lesson I wanted to share: If you can't find decent flights on your primary airline, try their partners. In my case it got me what I needed, and saved me 15K air miles in the process. :banana:

Dave

Last edited:

MAJPLO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. My husband is going to Alaska laterh this year and I was wondering if we could use our Delta points for an Alaska Airlines flight.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Way to go Dave! I have had some success using partner miles too . . . mostly with American/British Air and American/Alaska.

To the subsequent poster asking about Delta, good luck. I have never found DL to be worthwhile on partner airlines or vice versa.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The lesson I wanted to share: If you can't find decent flights on your primary airline, try their partners. In my case it got me what I needed, and saved me 15K air miles in the process.

Sounds great but my question is (I'll use your example in this case): If I have Alaska Airlines points but I want to book a flight on Delta Airlines, to which airline's website or Customer Service would I go to request this?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
I have some miles with Hawaiian. I see that AA is their partner.

I was wondering whether HA miles were valued 1 to 1 with AA, but I found my answer.
The following chart lists the points for each flight within a geographical area.
You need this number of Hawaiian miles to take each flight on AA, if space is available.

Roundtrip Award Award Mileage
Economy Business First
1 Roundtrip within North America 30,000 60,000 75,000
1 Roundtrip between North America and Hawaii 45,000 90,000 110,000
1 Roundtrip between North America and Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central America; within the Caribbean; between the Caribbean and South America 35,000 70,000 85,000
1 Roundtrip between North America and South America 60,000 120,000 150,000
1 Roundtrip between North America and Europe 60,000 120,000 150,000
1 Roundtrip between North America and Asia 80,000 160,000 200,000

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent