• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Airline ID==Real ID

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There has finally been some give on this. Instead of going into effect in 2016. you now have until 2020 to get a "Real ID" Driver's License to use as positive Identification to board an airplane.

This will please many people who had complained that they renewed their licenses last year before they found out about the new licenses.

It doesn't help my sister, though. She's under 65, and in Nevada you can get an eight year license in Nevada, so hers doesn't expire until 2022! I guess she will either renew early or use her passport.

You can't please everybody. Ticking everybody off, of course, is much easier.

Fern

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never heard the term "Real ID" but it sounds like I am in luck because I need to renew my license later this year. Just hope I can pass the eye exam.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I haven't hear about this either?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This may be more of an issue in states that allow undocumented immigrants to obtain a driver's license. There has been a real push to either not allow this, or to come up with a "real" driver's license, meaning one where you can prove you are a legal citizen. We've started carrying our passports with us whenever we travel now, just in case.

And since there are people who think New Mexico is a foreign country..........:rolleyes:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Here is the scoop:

http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

A) Noncompliant States/Territories

Am.Samoa
Arizona
Louisiana
Minnesota+
New Hampshire**
New York+

+ Federal officials may continue to accept Enhanced Driver’s Licenses from these states.

** Has an expired extension and will be subject to enforcement beginning January 19, 2015

B) Compliant/Extension States/Territories

Alabama
Alaska*
Arkansas*
California*
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
DC
Florida
Georgia
Guam*
Hawaii
Idaho*
Illinois*
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky*
Maine*
Maryland
Mass.*
Michigan*
Mississippi
Missouri*
Montana*
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey*
New Mexico*
N. Carolina*
N. Dakota*
N. Marianas*
Ohio
Oklahoma*
Oregon*
Pennsylvania*
Puerto Rico*
Rhode Island*
S. Carolina*
S. Dakota
Tennessee
Texas*
Utah
Vermont
Virginia*
Virgin Islands*
Washington*
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

* Has an extension, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver's licenses from these states.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My state had to get the extension thing when they found that people (even employees) couldn't use their DLs to get onto the Nat'l Lab reservation and that flying would soon be limited to those with another approved ID- like a passport. Ours wasn't the only such state.

geekette

Reaction score
Interesting thread, I'd never known my DL might not be "real" ; )

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been using my passport for many years now AS my official form of ID ... I have a P O Box on my driver's license due to multiple YEARS of domestic violence and assorted stalking ---- for years. Way before 9/11 ... and I just keep renewing it (even with getting a new one every 3 years at the local DMV office).

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I've used many times my Global Entry card at TSA checkpoints and at airline check in. It's never been an issue. Get Global Entry -- not only do you get an expedited experience but it works for an ID as well.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
Global entry is fantastic - well worth the one-time $100. Shorter TSA lines (you get TSA pre-check with it), you can keep your shoes on and laptop in your bag, and it's definitely shorter immigration. Only downer is that you don't get a passport stamp. :bawl: (Though I think you can ask for one, not sure.)

Didn't know they can work as IDs though, thanks for the heads up! Will try it next time.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Global entry is fantastic - well worth the one-time $100. Shorter TSA lines (you get TSA pre-check with it), you can keep your shoes on and laptop in your bag, and it's definitely shorter immigration. Only downer is that you don't get a passport stamp. :bawl: (Though I think you can ask for one, not sure.)

Didn't know they can work as IDs though, thanks for the heads up! Will try it next time.

It doesn't sound like it's a one time $100 fee. I found this:

Global Entry requires a non-refundable application fee. If approved, the Global Entry membership is valid for five years with no additional charges. Global Entry members must still pay all regular duty fees on items brought into the country.

The $100 fee per applicant must be paid at the time of your Global Entry application. Applications must be completed and submitted online through the Global Online Enrollment System. The application fee is paid by credit card or through an electronic bank transfer. The fee is non-refundable, even if an application is denied.

I also found this that makes it sound that in addition to the Global Entry you do need to show other identification:

At airports, program participants proceed to Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingertips on the scanner for fingerprint verification, and complete a customs declaration.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You can use your card for photo ID for boarding a domestic flight. You need your passport or other documentation for landing from an international flights.

Global Entry is $100 for 5 years. If you live near Canada and cross every once in a while you should consider the Canadian Nexus application instead. It is $50 for 5 years and includes a Global Entry for no additional charge.