• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Family resort, swimable beach???

Ducky

TUG Member
Reaction score
We want to go to Mexico in July, it will be our first time. I'm reading all the reviews and still not sure what area/resort to pick. If I was using one of my Interval weeks I would do the Royals in Cancun, but need to use up an RCI week.

We will be exchanging through RCI.
Do NOT want all inclusive.
Want a swimable beach.
Kids aged 11 & 15.
We like to be close to stores, resturants, ect...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Janis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royal Mayan used to trade with both RCI and II - you might be able to try that.

Swimmable beaches are another matter. Some days, the water is calm and peaceful. Other days, depending on the weather at sea, the ocean is really rough.

We just came back from a week in Cancun. Out of 7 days, 3 were pretty rough, 2 were unswimmable, and 2 were perfect. We have been there and had 7/7 days with calm water. You just can't predict what it will be like.

However, if you get a timeshare on the top of the 7 (Club International for example), that water is always calm. The beaches aren't as beautiful, but you can be assured of smooth water.

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Imperial Fiesta Club has a great beach perfect for kids. I think you might still be able to trade with RCI there.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Check RCI for Cabo San Lucas in July. If you can get Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos (the Blanco) or the Rose, both would meet every criteria you list. They are next to each other on the safe, swimmable Medano Beach; within easy walking distance to town; and great places for a family vacation. They are NOT all-inclusive.

If you can't get the PB's, try for Playa Grande (not on a safe beach because of dangerous undertows, but has nice pool complex and is near town--you could get to Medano Beach without too much trouble) or PB Sunset Beach (also not on safe beach but has free shuttle to PB Rose and the beach; very nice pools)

Forgot to mention another couple: Cabo Villas or Marina Fiesta. Cabo Villas is on Medano Beach and Marina Fiesta is on the marina and just a short walk to the beach. They would be my 5th and 6th choices of the ones I've listed.

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Royal Mayan and VCI both trade with RCI and Interval. VCI always has a swimable beach; the Mayan mostly does not for an 11 year old, but a 15 year old maybe. I would try for VCI.

If you can't get VCI the Imperial Fiesta Club is pretty good too. It is adjacent to VCI. I have traded into there twice, an easy trade. I traded for my son and his friends while we were there the same week at our Royal Carib. I must say I was very impressed with the 2 bedroom villa. It was bigger than the Royals. The master bedroom was huge. The terrace is quite small though and no where as enjoyable as the Royals. They list the kitchen as partial but the only thing missing is an oven. This place will not disappoint you; if you can't get VCI.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
You could probally get Villa del Palmar or Villa del Arco through RCI in Cabo on Mendano Beach. This is a great resort offering free activities for familys with kids through out each day. www.myuvc.com

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
The Pueblo Bonito resorts are nice for older adults but lack the activites for kids. . . .
I would stay away from the Marina Fiesta and Sunset Beach with young kids.
The ages of the OP's kids are 11 & 15. There are a number of activities at the PB resorts that appeal to that age group--water volleyball, Spanish bingo, ping pong tournaments, sand volleyball, card games--and the walk to town is a little more convenient than further down Medano Beach to VDP and Los Arcos.

But, there are many nice resorts from which to choose in Cabo and I know people have a great time at all of them.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Southeast Mexico

Last edited:

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It would probably be easier to do your RCI search with your week specifying non-all inclusive first. See what you pull and then look into what would be the best fit.

JMO

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I doubt that any of the resorts in Mexico on the West side will have waters and sand like your Plantation Island Resort in Figi. Tulum would be cool place with kids. Mayan ruins and cenotes to swim in. Nice swimable ocean water and nice sand. South east side of Mexico for sure.

Last edited:

Ducky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to all for your thoughts, I think I will go with Pueblo Bonito Rose, we love to have things to do within walking distance, not always having to hop in a car.
My Plantation Island week in in Florida, I wish it was Fiji, somewhere I would love to have the chance to go one day.