• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hurricane Irene [merged]

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
As for me, I have um... Russell Stover chocolates, chocolate cake, oreo cookies, cinnamon rolls in the tube, and steak. And eggs, bread and milk, of course. Ready for a hurricane!

How are you gonna cook those cinnamon rolls, eggs and steak if the power goes? Do you have a plan? :bawl:

Not many hurricanes around here, but if we expect to lose power in the snow, we usually cook up a few things that we could eat cold if necessary. Do you have an outdoor grill for the steak and eggs?

Sheila

loafingcactus

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How are you gonna cook those cinnamon rolls, eggs and steak if the power goes? Do you have a plan? :bawl:

Not many hurricanes around here, but if we expect to lose power in the snow, we usually cook up a few things that we could eat cold if necessary. Do you have an outdoor grill for the steak and eggs?

Sheila

I do have a grill and I used to live in the country where I had to use it (Hurricane Fran, various ice storms). But then I moved next to a hospital. Electricity restoration priority, I has it.:whoopie: :whoopie:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do have a grill and I used to live in the country where I had to use it (Hurricane Fran, various ice storms). But then I moved next to a hospital. Electricity restoration priority, I has it.:whoopie: :whoopie:

Wow - did the same; Hurricane Andrew in Baton Rouge. Had electric back on in 4 hours as I was a block from a hospital and the regional electric company's dispatch yard for repair trucks. Plus, the McDonald's was there. Life was good. ;)

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.
This is going to be our first trip to Virginia Beach, arriving at Ocean Beach Club around the time Irene is expected to blow through that area. DH has been through a couple of hurricanes and thinks it is going to be OK. :eek: as it is only expected to be a Cat 3. Myself, I am trying to think of ways to stretch out our drive there by an extra day or two.

I don't know an easier way to say it. Your husband is STUPID!

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The current path seems to put landfall somewhere between my bedroom and bathroom. I'm on the barrier beach 1 mile west of Jones Beach, 4 1/2 feet above sea level and 15 feet from the water. 1st time in 60+years I'm getting out of "Dodge", hope something is left on Monday. Taking the jewelery, passports and memories to higher ground. One bright point though, we have been plagued with mosquitoes since last weeks 1 foot+of rain with an earthquake thrown in for good measure so a change in lattitude perhaps might help.

loafingcactus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The current path seems to put landfall somewhere between my bedroom and bathroom. I'm on the barrier beach 1 mile west of Jones Beach, 4 1/2 feet above sea level and 15 feet from the water. 1st time in 60+years I'm getting out of "Dodge", hope something is left on Monday. Taking the jewelery, passports and memories to higher ground. One bright point though, we have been plagued with mosquitoes since last weeks 1 foot+of rain with an earthquake thrown in for good measure so a change in lattitude perhaps might help.

Good luck to you! Can you imagine if someone had told us there would be an earthquake and a hurricane the same week? Because the earthquake alone wouldn't have been surreal enough!

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and get a hotel for a couple of nights for my son and daughter in law who live on the James River in Newport News.

Told them to not wait until the evacuation order, just go straight to the hotel as soon as Jordan gets off of work on Friday. If it turns out to be nothing, they wil just have a romantic weekend on mom.

My daughter in law has been preparing, plenty of canned food that tastes good cold. Filling containers with water. Buying flashlights and batteries, candles and matches. They are going to move their furniture away from thei windows and remove their valuables and hope for the best.

Scares me bad! (i wish that there was a chewing your fingernails until they are bloody icon).

elaine

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
A grill is your best bet with a power outage. We have a gas stove but most of our friends do not and as Bobby Flay made clear - you can cook anything on the grill.

csudell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and get a hotel for a couple of nights for my son and daughter in law who live on the James River in Newport News.

Told them to not wait until the evacuation order, just go straight to the hotel as soon as Jordan gets off of work on Friday. If it turns out to be nothing, they wil just have a romantic weekend on mom.

My daughter in law has been preparing, plenty of canned food that tastes good cold. Filling containers with water. Buying flashlights and batteries, candles and matches. They are going to move their furniture away from thei windows and remove their valuables and hope for the best.

Scares me bad! (i wish that there was a chewing your fingernails until they are bloody icon).

elaine

You are a great MIL Elaine :cheer:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bread, milk, ice and canned goods are not in the grocrey stores in the Tidewater Virginia areas (Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Hampton and Newport News,VA).

I am praying that Irene turn east into the Atlantic Ocean and miss the east coast.

Pardytime

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, Wyndham
Cooler heads prevail

Seeing on TV cars full of people leaving the coast has finally convinced DH to stay home until we know more. :) Thanks folks for putting a personal touch on this situation - it helped me hold my ground. Although the resort and II have not responded yet, I was able to cancel our reservation for the hotel enroute and hope that in some small way this helps an evacuee, and when we finally do head out, we will bring food with us so as not to contribute to pressure on the supply system.

Having grown up in a resort town, I understand the need to have people stay away at times like this, but also recognize they need people to start coming back to keep the economy functioning. I will be most happy to contribute when the time comes.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, it always seems like the ''I'' storms are the ones that zap the OBX. Last time, it was Isabel. This time it is Irene. I would not be surprised to see some more extended closings for repair from some of the beachfront resorts.

hvsteve1

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you with DirecTV and wanting to have wall-to-wall hurricane news, DTV is going to have continuing coverage on channels 259,325 and 349. They say coverage will originate with local affiliates from cities in the path.

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are a great MIL Elaine :cheer:

Thank you. I am breathing a little easier now.

Jordan and Rose are safe (pretty safe) in Roanoke Rapids NC. They are all checked in and unloaded. They said the traffic wasn't bad.

Bonus daughter in Wilmington Delaware was 3 blocks from the mandatory evacuation area. She has headed to Charlottesville. Was just about 45 minutes out when we talked to her. Laura said traffic wasn't bad either.

All the kids were saying that traffic wasn't bad. Is everyone just waiting to see what happens?

All I kept imagining was the parking lot that I45 became in Houston right before Katrina struck. And looking at the maps, it seems like I64 would be worse, much worse.

Rose had told me that one of the evacuation routes is through a tunnel - I think the Suffolk tunnel. The very idea of that gives me the heebiejeebies.

I hope everyone stays safe.

elaine

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My well-wishes to everyone in Irene's path.

So, after it passes, what can we expect as visitors to a beach resort? If a resort has closed up temporarily and has little damage, do they normally open up again within a day or couple of days? If we can't get there because we aren't allowed into the area, what happens with the timeshare credit? Is it normally just a write-off on our part? Will a resort allow you to reschedule under these circumstances? (Marriott Ocean Beach Club, booked through Interval International)

I know, I know, it seems like such a minor issue when others may have bigger problems (like no power), and having been through that ourselves I really do feel for them, but I was also hoping to salvage even a few days of our precious vacation, maybe by Wed, or if not, reschedule. I will call the resort tonight, but would like to know if anyone else can offer some insight or experience.
Tks.

I think that this varies by the resort. I know that some of the people that were displaced from the Galveston resorts when Katrina hit were given rain checks for later dates. I think that was largely because the resorts were not operable for months, some like Peregrinem, took 2 years to become habitable.

There is nothing wrong to be concerned about the loss of your vacation. And you have it in perspective, too.

I hope that all is well and everyone can get back to their mundane lives soon. After this kind of adventure (even vicariously) it is good to get back to mundane.

elaine

csudell

TUG Member
Reaction score
your daughter in Wilmington could have come here :) except who knows who will get hit.

Much of the NJ highways near the "shore" have been closed heading east/south. I havent heard about major traffic heading north/west. I think people are spreading out the evacuations. I have friends that were told to leave the Jersey shore and are leaving tomorrow morning. Others have left already.

We were supposed to leave for HRA on Sunday. I switched the reservation until Tuesday. They are fine down there from what I've seen. Now its our turn.

glypnirsgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
your daughter in Wilmington could have come here :) except who knows who will get hit.

Much of the NJ highways near the "shore" have been closed heading east/south. I havent heard about major traffic heading north/west. I think people are spreading out the evacuations. I have friends that were told to leave the Jersey shore and are leaving tomorrow morning. Others have left already.

We were supposed to leave for HRA on Sunday. I switched the reservation until Tuesday. They are fine down there from what I've seen. Now its our turn.

I suspect that Laura was secretly thrilled to have a valid reason to evacuate. She just completed her first year as a trial attorney doing "high stakes corporate litigation" (the quote is from the firm website). It seems to me that she is working 12 to 14 hours a day 5 days a week and then a couple more hours on Saturday and Sunday.

Her boyfriend is an engineer that just started law school at UVA. He had been a patent examiner and figured that he would get paid alot more if he had a law degree as well as his engineering degree.

So Charlottesville is the perfect evacuation spot.

I hope that all is well for your vacation --- good thing that you put it off for a little.

elaine

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Came back to NJ from FLL on Thursday AM. SWA would NOT switch my reservation without charging me an upgrade/change fees. So I brought another ticket. Tonight, SWA posted on the web, those holding tickets for cancelled flights (like my original flight for late Sat afternoon to PHL) can request their money back. And I just called Beachplace and checkout of my timeshare a few minutes ago (I did check before I left for the airport to make sure I could do that too).

So, I am now truly home for the bad weather.:( And I can continue to board up my big plate glass windows at 7am. I think I am now up to 30 sheets of plywood.

loafingcactus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bragged too early about my hospital power priority proximity... 10,000+ in Raleigh without power, including ME, Waaa! :bawl:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hurricane Irene Hits North Carolina

Hurricane Irene's outer bands reach Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina, early Saturday, August 27, 2011.

Hurricane Irene has weakened to a Category 1 storm as it nears the North Carolina coast but forecasters say it remains extremely dangerous.

The center of Hurricane Irene has now hit the coast of North Carolina near Cape Lookout with Category 1 - force winds of 85 mph.

Nearly 200,000 homes in North Carolina are experiencing power outages, according to Power Energy. Winds up to 85 mph ripped power lines from their poles, causing many of the shortages. The hardest hit areas were Wilmington and Wrightsville Beach, N.C.

There are so many timeshares along the North Carolina coast
Please post any damages to NC timeshares after the storm.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Anxiously awaiting Irene

I'm ready and not happy. The eye is still headed right over my house. Just put in another load of laundry just in case. Crock pot is going with enough for 2 days. Deck furniture is either in my garage or in my den. I know a lot of friends that are evacuating. Offered to them to come here, but so far so takers. They want to go further inland. I'm not worried about flooding because we live up on a hill. I'm more worried about my roof that is 25 years old. I'm staying tight. How about you?

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bragged too early about my hospital power priority proximity... 10,000+ in Raleigh without power, including ME, Waaa! :bawl:

Posting via ipad or cell phone? At least, those towers still have power. :D Wait til they crash, then you will really feel cut off.:rolleyes:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
My prayers are with all that are in Irene's path. My brother and his family and some of his wife's family live in the Rockaways and have (mandatory) evacuated. Not worried about them physically, however, they have 2 homes there and the destruction could be horrendous.

That community has lost so much, first with all of the firefighters in 9/11, then the plane that went down 5 blocks from their house and now this...

I'm glued to the TV. Fox news has excellent coverage.

Ingrid