• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Handicap Parking placard

cmdmfr

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife has a South Carolina Handicap placard and I have one from Delaware that I have not got changed yet. I have heard that South Carolina does not honor out of state handicap Placards. Does anyone know if that is the truth I also have heard that some one moved from Detroit and had a placard from there and when they parked in a gated community they wrote them a ticket and were told that they need a South Carolina Placard does any one know what the truth is and where I may be able to find it on the internet

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Out-of-State Travelers & Traveling SC Residents
South Carolina has a reciprocal agreement with all other states. If you're a traveling SC resident, other states will honor your valid state-issued handicapped plates and placards. If you're a visitor, SC will recognize your own state's plates and placards.

If you need more information, contact the appropriate DMV agency in the state where you will be traveling.

From this site.

http://www.dmv.org/sc-south-carolina/disabled-drivers.php

It would appear and make sense that if you are a SC resident, you need a SC permit just like you need a SC driver license.

Reaction score
For the most part, placards are honored everywhere. For instance, a PA handicapped placard would be honored in Florida. But, the caveat is, ONLY for visitors. If the person moved to another state, the handicapped person must get a new placard for the state.

TS

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So how do they know if you're a visitor or a resident?

I guess if you rent a car there, there's probably some indication that it's a rental car on the licence plate or something? I don't know.

What if Greg and I are visiting my brother, who works down that way, and we're driving in his car, which is an insured South Carolina vehicle? Surely we wouldn't get a ticket if we use Greg's B.C. handicap pass in the window.

Seems a bit unworkable to me. I guess you could fight the ticket with some sort of proof you, as an out-of-state visitor were there.

Just curious, that's all.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose there is the 'letter of the law', and then there's the practical matter. While technically, it may not be exactly legal for a handicapped visitor to use their home state placard to park in a handicap space, who's going to write the ticket? What cold-hearted moron is going to call a traffic cop to write a ticket when a handicapped person gets out of a placarded- car and makes their way into a business? It just isn't going to happen.

OTOH, I can't begin to count the times when I see a person who appears to be able-bodied gets out of a car in a handicapped space and goes into my neighborhood grocery store. I'm fully aware of some handicaps not being visible, but most are. And that doesn't address the times when the elderly or handicapped person stays in the placarded car while the able-bodied driver dashes into the store.

For the most part, the system works, even though for the most part, it's an 'honor system.' If there were lots of occasions when the truly disabled couldn't find a space because of the 'entitled' able-bodied had taken up the spaces set aside for the disabled, I'd gripe about it. But as it is, I have to cruise the Costco lot for a parking space- ANY parking space- more than a handicapped person does for a 'special' one.

Jim

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Commonwealth of Virginia will honor all handicap placard that have not expired.

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL
I suppose there is the 'letter of the law', and then there's the practical matter. While technically, it may not be exactly legal for a handicapped visitor to use their home state placard to park in a handicap space, who's going to write the ticket? What cold-hearted moron is going to call a traffic cop to write a ticket when a handicapped person gets out of a placarded- car and makes their way into a business? It just isn't going to happen.

OTOH, I can't begin to count the times when I see a person who appears to be able-bodied gets out of a car in a handicapped space and goes into my neighborhood grocery store. I'm fully aware of some handicaps not being visible, but most are. And that doesn't address the times when the elderly or handicapped person stays in the placarded car while the able-bodied driver dashes into the store.

For the most part, the system works, even though for the most part, it's an 'honor system.' If there were lots of occasions when the truly disabled couldn't find a space because of the 'entitled' able-bodied had taken up the spaces set aside for the disabled, I'd gripe about it. But as it is, I have to cruise the Costco lot for a parking space- ANY parking space- more than a handicapped person does for a 'special' one.

Jim

What really gets me, is when I see signs for Mothers with children spaces and all the handicapped spaces are full. Why do mothers need special parking? Not sure who came up with this idea.

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim

I must be one of those people your talking about, I have one of those handicapped placards. I do park in one of those spots if no other spot is close enough to where I need to go. You might look at me and say exactly what you posted, but I wish you could live in my body for one hour and see what I am going through on a daily basis. I spent 20 years in the finest fight force this country has, and it might not look like it on the outside, but my insides are in constant pain. So please don't judge a person by his/her cover.
Semper Fi

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
"OTOH, I can't begin to count the times when I see a person who appears to be able-bodied gets out of a car in a handicapped space and goes into my neighborhood grocery store. I'm fully aware of some handicaps not being visible, but most are. And that doesn't address the times when the elderly or handicapped person stays in the placarded car while the able-bodied driver dashes into the store."

I see able bodied people all the time doing this and briefly, ever so briefly, I wonder if they are truly handicapped? Then I think of myself and keep my mouth shut. While I also have a placard, I am able to still play golf twice a week while being on the UNOS heart transplant list! Sure, I'm short of breath a lot and don't have the energy level of most people but, when we go to the hospital I look around and think about how sick most of those people truly are. You cannot tell how sick some people are by just looking at them. Some yes, the majority, probably not. I don't know about other states but in NC it doesn't matter who is driving the vehicle as long as the disabled person is in the vehicle with them. I don't think I'd want the handicapped person trying to dash into the store!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
"OTOH, I can't begin to count the times when I see a person who appears to be able-bodied gets out of a car in a handicapped space and goes into my neighborhood grocery store. I'm fully aware of some handicaps not being visible, but most are. And that doesn't address the times when the elderly or handicapped person stays in the placarded car while the able-bodied driver dashes into the store."

I see able bodied people all the time doing this and briefly, ever so briefly, I wonder if they are truly handicapped? Then I think of myself and keep my mouth shut. While I also have a placard, I am able to still play golf twice a week while being on the UNOS heart transplant list! Sure, I'm short of breath a lot and don't have the energy level of most people but, when we go to the hospital I look around and think about how sick most of those people truly are. You cannot tell how sick some people are by just looking at them. Some yes, the majority, probably not. I don't know about other states but in NC it doesn't matter who is driving the vehicle as long as the disabled person is in the vehicle with them. I don't think I'd want the handicapped person trying to dash into the store!

Not all handicapped persons have physically disabilities that can be seen by the naked eye some disabilities are mental disorders. Just thing about some recent killing that were carry out by some individual with some major mental disorders from the outside they look normal to the naked eye. But inside they were trouble. That is my opinion only.

Health care for individuals with mental disorders have been hard by budget cuts all over the United States.

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are/were talking about Handicap Placards. I don't know about a jurisdiction which issues them for mental disorders. In my state (Nevada) here are the following qualifiers:

Criteria for Disabled Persons
A licensed physician must certify an individual's disability by completing the bottom half of the application. The patient must have one or more of the following conditions to qualify:
  • Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
  • Cannot walk without the use of a brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair, or other device, or another person.
  • Is restricted by a lung disease.
  • Uses portable oxygen.
  • Has a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified as a Class III or Class IV according to standards adopted by the American Heart Association.
  • Is visually handicapped.
  • Is severely limited in his/her ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
Handicapped Placard
The physician must also certify whether a patient's condition is subject to change and, if so, the length of time the disability is expected to last. DMV will issue up to two placards or motorcycle stickers for temporary or moderate conditions. Those with a permanent condition may receive license plates for all vehicles registered in their name and one placard or any combination of two plates/placards/stickers.

Our state's list is fairly liberal. Some states are much more restrictive.

Fern

Not all handicapped persons have physically disabilities that can be seen by the naked eye some disabilities are mental disorders. Just thing about some recent killing that were carry out by some individual with some major mental disorders from the outside they look normal to the naked eye. But inside they were trouble. That is my opinion only.

Health care for individuals with mental disorders have been hard by budget cuts all over the United States.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Gee, you should go to the Costco in Henderson. I often must circle multiple times to find an empty accessible parking space (there are only fifteen or so of these), or any other close space, for that matter. Are they all being used appropriately? I dunno. Mostly, I guess.

There are several hundred other spaces *you* can park in my lot. Can I park in them as well? Well, yes, but I wouldn't be physically able to walk to the store, shop, and then walk back to the car.

Fern

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gee, you should go to the Costco in Henderson. I often must circle multiple times to find an empty accessible parking space (there are only fifteen or so of these), or any other close space, for that matter. Are they all being used appropriately? I dunno. Mostly, I guess.

That's just one of the many reasons we live in our little town (OK, small city) of 40,000, 100+ miles from anywhere bigger. Except for the first Saturday of the month, we never have to take laps to get a Costco parking space, and can usually get a shady one.

In your 105+ degree heat, a one-way trip from the car would be about enough for me too.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
"I don't know about other states but in NC it doesn't matter who is driving the vehicle as long as the disabled person is in the vehicle with them.

Here in B.C., it's pretty plainly stated that a handicapped spot should not be used if the handicapped person is not getting out of the vehicle. Makes sense, no? If I'm going to the store with my husband and he's waiting in the car for me, why should I park in handicapped? I can walk from a "regular" spot and should leave that spot for someone like him who has to drive themselves.

And I definitely agree with Fern. Having a handicapped placard shouldn't be looked at as a pass to get a great spot. It's amazingly stressful for me when we're going somewhere and I'm worried if there's going to be appropriate parking close enough. Will there be handicap parking? Will it be full? Will he be able to make it in with his walker to wherever we're going? If I'm by myself, I don't care where I have to park, I'm lucky enough to be able to walk it.

As for people who just use grandpa's placard when he's at home and they just want a close spot, well, you can't really legislate good behaviour and a sense of morality. There will always be people who put themselves ahead of everybody else. I'd like to think it's not human nature, but it is the nature of some humans.

Okay, will be putting my soapbox away for the day - LOL.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are/were talking about Handicap Placards. I don't know about a jurisdiction which issues them for mental disorders. In my state (Nevada) here are the following qualifiers:

Criteria for Disabled Persons
A licensed physician must certify an individual's disability by completing the bottom half of the application. The patient must have one or more of the following conditions to qualify:
  • Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest.
  • Cannot walk without the use of a brace, cane, crutch, wheelchair, or other device, or another person.
  • Is restricted by a lung disease.
  • Uses portable oxygen.
  • Has a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified as a Class III or Class IV according to standards adopted by the American Heart Association.
  • Is visually handicapped.
  • Is severely limited in his/her ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.
Handicapped Placard
The physician must also certify whether a patient's condition is subject to change and, if so, the length of time the disability is expected to last. DMV will issue up to two placards or motorcycle stickers for temporary or moderate conditions. Those with a permanent condition may receive license plates for all vehicles registered in their name and one placard or any combination of two plates/placards/stickers.

Our state's list is fairly liberal. Some states are much more restrictive.

Fern
Your statement are correct for your state and they are include for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Commonwealth of Virginia as I quote from the DMV web site includes as found on page 2 document MED 10 (07/012013) ...LICENSED PHYSICIAN/PHYSICIAN ASSISTANCE/NURSE PRACTITIONER MEDICAL CERTIFICATION
1." Had been diagnosed with a mental or developmental amentia or delay that impairs judgment including, but not limited to, an autism spectrum disorder."

2. "Has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's or another form of dementia."

INFORMATION ONLY

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I believe you, however I personally don't see why it would be such. None of the things you listed precludes a person from physically being able to walk the distance from a parking space to the place of business.

Fern

Your statement are correct for your state and they are include for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Commonwealth of Virginia as I quote from the DMV web site includes as found on page 2 document MED 10 (07/012013) ...LICENSED PHYSICIAN/PHYSICIAN ASSISTANCE/NURSE PRACTITIONER MEDICAL CERTIFICATION
1." Had been diagnosed with a mental or developmental amentia or delay that impairs judgment including, but not limited to, an autism spectrum disorder."

2. "Has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's or another form of dementia."

INFORMATION ONLY

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What really gets me, is when I see signs for Mothers with children spaces and all the handicapped spaces are full. Why do mothers need special parking? Not sure who came up with this idea.

Is this a Texas thing? I have never seen a Mothers with children sign parking spaces.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I believe you, however I personally don't see why it would be such. None of the things you listed precludes a person from physically being able to walk the distance from a parking space to the place of business.
By that logic, those who use electric scooters / electric wheelchairs should not get special treatment of an up-front space either. Once they get on their scooter, what difference is it as to how far they are from the front door of the business? Why don't they park in the furthest spots at the end of the parking lot? They would have plenty of room around their vehicle for access, etc.

(only half serious, but something to definitely ponder)

Kurt

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Is this a Texas thing? I have never seen a Mothers with children sign parking spaces.
I see it here in Colorado, but usually only in front of places like Babies-R-Us and maternity / children's stores.

Kurt

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

I see it here in Colorado, but usually only in front of places like Babies-R-Us and maternity / children's stores.

Kurt

Some of the grocery stores around here have spaces marked for pregnant women. I think most can use the exercise so I park in them if nothing else is nearby.:ignore:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fern

I agree with you Fern on your post 100%. There are too many people that are abusing the system and that is my opinion.

Hophop4

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV/Silverleaf Owners-Holiday Hills, Branson; Seaside, Galveston;
Landmark Holiday Beach Resort, PCB, FL

I don't know if this is a Texas thing but I think I have seen them at the HEB grocery stores. I have also seen the Pregnant signs too here. Which isn't too bad but the Mother's with children ....why the kids can walk unless one is handicapped then they should have a handicap plate.

I have handicapped plates and a placard and use a cane most of the time and sometimes a walker and many times find myself parking way out just in order to park my car. This is mostly at grocery stores.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Around our mall, there are a few 'Stork Spaces' strategically places near the kiddie departments of the anchor department stores. I think it's just a courtesy, and nothing officially sanctioned. I guess they're intended for someone I'll never be. Young, female, with either a 'bun in the oven' or infant.