• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bringing a cooler to non AI resort

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiting for our luggage recently on a trip to Vegas, we saw someone who duct taped a large cooler on wheels. They probably filled it as a regular suit case.

Would such a large cooler be permitted at places like the Grand Mayan RM? We are travelling with kids, so the convenience at the pool or beach would be nice. I doubt it would be needed at the AI Sunset Lagoon, at which we're staying next Spring.

Any opinions? Thanks.

Jana

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
We always bring a small softsided cooler onto the beach. We have done it at Club Regina Westin PV, Aruba, etc. It has never been a problem. It is about the size of a small shoebox, but a little wider so it is fairly unobtrusive. It holds a few cans of beer/soda and some bottled water. It just packs up into our suitcase. It is much easier than running to our condo to get a drink.

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
We try to like Blondie. We had security Nazis at the following three non all inclusive resorts.
Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Club Regina at the Westin Puerto Vallarta
Playa Grande Cabo San Lucas

They all say it is for safety Hogwash it is just protecting $ 4.00 beer sales and $ 8 for drinks. At the Grand Mayan they had a security guard standing outside each building and they stopped most with any kind of ice chest. Ours was soft sided and was small but they stopped us anyway. We got in out later in a beach bag. Club Regina has ridiculous prices too and we had a waiter rat us out to the security.
The companies with the timeshares should lighten up after all that is part of their pitch to sell to us.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had no problem bringing a large cooler on wheels to the POOL at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. Then again, our group consisted of 3 couples and 3 toddlers all under the age of 2 -- and it was a necessity to a degree. We had to have the children's food, snacks, milk and juice nearby -- with a little extra room for our beers and snacks. :D

Kenrabs

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I use a cooler bag instead of a hard case cooler. I was only cautious about using it at the ME Cabo. They are easy to pack or I fill it up and use it as an airplane carry on. Be sure to use plastic or cans, most places don't want glass by the pools.

Deer Path

TUG Member
Reaction score
WE ALWAYS take a hard sided roller cooler to Mexico with us. We fill it with food that we will use while there.(exp.popcorn,crackers,cereal,6 Pk.water to get started ect.) Then when we go fishing and catch fish we can have it frozen and bring it back in the cooler. Once it is inspected when we leave we use the duck tape to seal it and it is never opened again. The fish stays frozen all the way back to Minnesota.

We also will put in a small softsided cooler to use around the pool or take with us for other sightseeing trips and have never had a problem or question at the Playa Grande or any other resort.

When we go to the grocery store in Cabo and return to the Playa Grande with beer, pop,and other stuff they are wonderful about loading it up in their "golf" carts and hauling it to our units. WE have never been questioned.

Judy

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We generally take a rolling cooler on vacation - we pack snacks, coffee, 32 oz insulated mugs, etc in it. We also take a small collapsible cooler (with a hard plastic liner) that we take to the beach. At the Mayan Palace/Grand Mayan at the Mayan Riviera we took the small cooler to the pool area everyday that we were there this past February (for 3 weeks).

When in Acapulco, we take the rolling cooler with us to the OXXO down the street and buy beverages there. We keep the rolling cooler in our unit with the beer and pop iced down during the day so we have space for other stuff in the frig.

In Acapulco & Nuevo, they do seem to watch more closely around the pool area, but if you have kids, they seem to let smaller ones by. We watched groups with larger coolers on the beach in Acapulco, but at the pool, we were told to either go to the beach or take the cooler back to our room.

We take the large insulated mugs to use at the pool area so that our beverages stay cool. We start out the day with ice & water or lemonade and then put iced cold beer or pop in the mugs in the afternoon.

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
We take the large insulated mugs to use at the pool area so that our beverages stay cool. We start out the day with ice & water or lemonade and then put iced cold beer or pop in the mugs in the afternoon.

This is what we plan on future trips, plus we had a soft cooler that was kind of square and still looked like a cooler. We now got one that looks like a small bag or piece of luggage.
At Solmar we have not had a problem by the owners pool ever.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Maybe the issue for anyone stopped is the glass bottle thing. We never bring glass to a beach or pool. And, I would support security removing those items because they are not allowed and can be dangerous. But, we also put our small cooler bag into our beach bag so it is unobtrusive. At Club Regina PV there were so few wait staff on the beach I think they just did not notice. One day I even brought a sandwich out from my room and ate by the pool as the wait service was just too slow. Nobody said a thing. Plus, there are no postings to this effect that I have ever seen- just about not glass rule. Blondie