• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI - cancelled exchange to Grand Mayan Cabo without notice!

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a week confirmed at the Grand Mayan for 2008. I went into my account about a month ago and found that I had an ongoing search for Mexico and figured I had forgotten to confirm the week and it was automatically released by RCI.

Today, I found the RCI Exchange Confirmation for the above week. It turns out that I did in fact confirm the week and RCI decided it would be sneaky and release my week without notifying me.

Has this happened to anyone else? What is my recourse?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like it has happened to others -- I found this thread in the Mexico forums which highlights the same problem experienced by another member:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35921

I guess I will have to call to speak to RCI about this.

It happened to me and I had to escalate to the second level of managment to get it straightened out. Our reservation doesn't show up on the website at all but I do have a confirmed hard copy I got in the mail. I hope that when we get there to the GM in Riveria Maya that they do have the two bdrm as promised.

bltfam

Reaction score
This happened to me when booking within the US We booked a place in Florida and without my ok a rep switched the resort. i went to the supervisor and to make a long story short they gave me my exchange fee back and put my week back in the bank and the supervisor came up with a better resort than i originally had booked and i didnt use my week to go Be persistent with them you pay for a service and they try to rip you off
Good Luck If you really want the week and have the conformation letter from them make them honor it. If you are more flexible and can change dates make them pay for your airline tickets if you had to change them ?

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This happened to me when booking within the US We booked a place in Florida and without my ok a rep switched the resort. i went to the supervisor and to make a long story short they gave me my exchange fee back and put my week back in the bank and the supervisor came up with a better resort than i originally had booked and i didnt use my week to go Be persistent with them you pay for a service and they try to rip you off
Good Luck If you really want the week and have the conformation letter from them make them honor it. If you are more flexible and can change dates make them pay for your airline tickets if you had to change them ?

They will not pay for your air reservations, that would be pushing your luck to ask for that. They will find you alternate accommodations but hold out for the GM. Keep escalating until you get someone to help you. Each personn tells you that the next supervisor won't do any more for you but lo and behold they do. We got our original week returned to us, and we got the GM for the dates we booked (althought it is in Jan and anything can happen in Mexico) but we paid the exchange fees for the GM and for the vacation I used the returned week for. I didn't care, I got the GM when before I was placed uncerimonously into the Mayan Palace without our permission.

grest

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you got any update, TravelSFO? Am hoping that something satisfactory was worked out..
Connie

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
What date was your reservation for? The GM Cabo is just being built. I have a feeling that it won't be ready for your check in.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI lied ... ??

When I called RCI, I was told that I must have canceled the exchange since RCI never cancels an exchange without consulting with the Exchanger.

I am now communicating with Sheri Carte via feedback@RCI who indicates she is a supervisor. I must say that I am disappointed. I am now being told that someone from RCI called me and spoke to me about violating the 1-in-4 rule and that I was offered another resort but I declined and asked that my ongoing search be canceled and that I be refunded my money! This is absolutely false and I am appalled that RCI would make something like this up!

Sheri tells me that I am in violation of the 1-in-4 rule for Mayan resorts since I exchanged into the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya in Dec 2005. My exchange in Dec 2005 was for an owner deposited week. My confirmed exchanged into the Grand Mayan Los Cabos, Dec 2008, was for a bulkbanked (promotional) week -- I am assuming it was promotional because there were two months worth of units available (back-to-back) AND furthermore, it is not the same location as the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya which is the specific location I am restricted from exchanging into for for years according to the 1-in-4 rule.

I referred her to Madge's response here where she indicates the difference in treatment between owner deposited vs. promotional units:

"Mayan has two types of properties in RCI's exchange system:

1. Deposited units representing owners (1009, 1294, 2984, 4125, 4350, 7486, 6483, 6866, 6973, 6982, 6823)

2. Promotional units provided by the resorts to generate sales (6631, 6632, 6633, 6634, 6635, 6636, 6860, 6867, 6974, 6983, 7491)

The rules are different for these two groups. Following are the highlights:

Group 1 --

One-in-four rule is applied per individual resorts - not to entire group of resorts. One additional concurrent or consecutive week is allowed within 4 years. One-in-four rule does apply to internal exchanges, even if a Mayan deposit is not used."

I know, I know -- it is 1-in-5 now ... maybe that is where they are getting me. Can someone confirm? I'm ok if they have to cancel my exchange because I am in violation of the 1-in-4 rules. But they have outright lied about speaking to me about this and made up additional details about the conversation (that never took place.)

I have also read something about Grandfathering of the 1-in-4 rules. I think I need clarification from someone (maybe a 2nd level supervisor .. which I am still not comfortable with.)

Sheri's response is that there are no "promotional weeks" at the Grand Mayan -- that they are ALL owner deposited weeks. I think someone doesn't have their information straight and it is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING. This and the fact that someone lied about speaking to me (or they have their information wrong, that is possible but it doesn't look like they are going to admit it.)

If there are no promotional weeks at the Grand Mayan, I guess what Madge posted is false information (I doubt it.)

Last edited: