• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Earthquake at 8:10 in Central CA

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We are about 100 miles from the Bay Area, but we just had a pretty good shaker in Modesto - anyone else feel it?

It looks like it was a 5 or 6 in the Bay Area - map

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Our wooden shutters rattled and lights swung for several seconds (10-15) and there was a distinct rolling motion. Whew..... :eek:

I was at the World Series during the Loma Prieta earth quake in San Francisco...so I am probably just a little more nervous than I should really be.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're perched on a hillside in Saratoga, and it was quite substantial here. Part of the house is attached to the deck and held by supports into the hillside. I was in one of those rooms when it hit...and moved into the "stable" part of the house :)

All is well.

Cheers.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I felt it also. About 20 miles away. DH is off on business travel and I was talking to him when it hit.

Interestingly, the USGS website categorizes it as light shaking because there was no damage although, personally, it felt more like moderate shaking to me!

Ingrid

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is an interesting map - for some reason, we got a pretty good jolt in Modesto - the colors indicate the intensity. Not sure why. We are 70 or so miles away, on the other side of a mountain range, but we really felt it here, although we don't have a major fault line.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
The internet is amazing, I just read the headline on Drudge about the quake and Tuggers already giving personal experiences!!!

Sure hope all of you up there are OK....please don't send it south OK? :D

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Here in San Jose, we are pretty close to the Alum Rock area. It shook the house harder than any CA earthquake I can recall (even more than the one that knocked the freeways down years ago). Two Disney figurines fell off a shelf, hit the wall, and broke. Water sloshed out of our small fish tank. My daughter was doing homework and I was gathering up recyclables for garbage night. I had enough time to register the quake, and call (okay, yell) for her to stand under the doorway arch with me, and it was still shaking. Very noisy one for us. My husband pulled my son out of the tub, wrapped him up, and got under a doorway upstairs.

I am still a bit unnerved, not unlike when the HA pilot flew into OGG like madman last December.

Waiting for aftershocks...

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiting for aftershocks...

Let's hope they are small and that there are very few.

I know the last time we had a little shake down here in LA, I was awake the rest of the night waiting for the just in case aftershock.

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are amazing! I missed the ticker tape message earlier tonight about an earthquake and then I learn about it here at TUG. The internet truly is an amazing place. I hope you guys are all okay up there and I echo ricoba's sentiments, keep it to yourselves if you don't mind. We've had enough to deal with concerning these darn fires! Thoughts are with you.

Take care,
janna

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Bed

I was already in bed because I get up at 2:30 am for work. It seemed as if this one was going to just keep going and going. Shortly after I heard the phone ring a few times and figured it was our daughter and the store where we work calling. Hopefully, I don't walk into a store full of broken items today.
We are about 20 miles from the center of the quake.
Bart

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting map - for some reason, we got a pretty good jolt in Modesto - the colors indicate the intensity. Not sure why. We are 70 or so miles away, on the other side of a mountain range, but we really felt it here, although we don't have a major fault line.

Intensity is much more related to local geology than it is to proximity to the actual earthquake location. During the 1986 Loma Prieta quake, for example, the most intense shaking occurred in waterfront areas in Oakland and San Francisco, not in the south Bay close to the epicenter. During the 1904 San Francisco quake, Stockton had much more intense shaking than did areas of San Francisco such as Twin Peaks and Potrero.

See here and here. You felt it more in Modesto because much of the soil in the Modesto area is loose sedimentary soil. Areas on the west side of Modesto, where there is shallow groundwater, should have had the most intense shaking in the Modesto area.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We definitely felt it. We're a bit north and east of where it hit. Being a true "California girl" I knew immediately what it was. What I didn't know was that whenever there is a quake of 5.0 or larger, there is a greater possibility of a larger aftershock that will occur in the following 72 hours. :eek: The USGS was saying they would have been more concerned if the quake had been on the Hayward fault, which we happen to be right on top of.

Between the fires in southern California and this latest quake, it's just our way of saying "Are you sure you want to move to California?" :ignore:

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Intensity is much more related to local geology than it is to proximity to the actual earthquake location. During the 1986 Loma Prieta quake, for example, the most intense shaking occurred in waterfront areas in Oakland and San Francisco, not in the south Bay close to the epicenter. During the 1904 San Francisco quake, Stockton had much more intense shaking than did areas of San Francisco such as Twin Peaks and Potrero.

Composition is also a factor. The homes in (on) Potrero (Hill), where we are, are built on rock. We felt some motion but it was very, very minimal. Let's just say I could not see anything move except for the leaf on our plant. Not a peep from our animals, either.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Composition is also a factor. The homes in (on) Potrero (Hill), where we are, are built on rock. We felt some motion but it was very, very minimal. Let's just say I could not see anything move except for the leaf on our plant. Not a peep from our animals, either.

Composition is local geology. The situation that Potrero Hill is composed of rock is the geology of Potrero Hill.

johnmfaeth

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Very glad to hear that it appears minor in damage levels, hopefully no one was injured which is more important.

Luanne's comment made me recall a Johnny Carson monologue of several decades ago.

Carson was commenting on Jerry Brown wanting to run for President and stated that as Governor, Brown had dealt with Earthquakes, Fires, Medflies, Droughts, et al. His punch line was "this guy clearly has bad luck, who wants him in Washington!!!".

Hope you are through the worst of this stuff for a while and have a quiet, boring spell coming up.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You live on Potrero hill? I used to work at 17th & Mariposa, at the Muni barn (I was a dispatcher). Small world.

Fern

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're in the Almaden Valley area of San Jose (near base of Santa Cruz mountains) and we felt it but it didn't seem very strong. For us it was a moderate initial boom, followed by a few seconds of mild shaking. The china cabinet rattled and chandeliers swayed, but that was it.

And the internet is amazing. Although the phone circuits were busy (both landline and cell) I was able to find the USGS report within 5 minutes that pinpointed the location followed by a report of the magnitude and (no) damage reported. Pretty cool.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fern,

17th runs parallel to Mariposa. Do you mean the barn at 17th and Bryant?

Btw, there is a Whole Foods here now. Safeway at the Potrero Center has an entire organic section to keep from losing customers.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Areas on the west side of Modesto, where there is shallow groundwater, should have had the most intense shaking in the Modesto area.

Yep! We live on the west side of Modesto.

S

Steamboat Bill

fires...earthquake....what's next?

I will be in the Bay area in 2 weeks...Hmmm.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates