• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help me choose my first timeshare!

darnoc23

Reaction score
Here are some questions you can answer to focus your timeshare wants/needs.

If you click on QUOTE at the end of my post, the questions will open up in a new window for you to answer:

1) Where do you want your home resort to be?

I live in southern California. So looking at some of the threads, I should have my home resort in driving distance. So San Diego, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and considering Cabo San Lucas.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Trade more.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

Maui, Kaui, Cabo San Lucas, Beach areas basically.

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

Six. Me, wife and four kids.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

School schedule.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

Yes.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Yes.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

Beach and pool areas - 5 stars. Kid activities.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

2k. The maintenance fee should be lower than a weeks rentals.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Yes.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes.

I live in southern California. So looking at some of the threads, I should have my home resort in driving distance. So San Diego, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe and considering Cabo San Lucas.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

Trade more.

School schedule.

Yes.

Yes.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

Yes.

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

Yes.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you really want 5 Star Accommodations you should look at the hotel affiliated timeshare systems: Marriott, Starwood, Hilton, and Hyatt.

Don't buy IN Mexico - Mexico has far more supply than demand, so it's a poor trader.

You didn't say what your budget is, but a 2 bdm. at a 5 Star Resort could be in the $10-20K range to purchase, even on the resale market, with a maintenance fee of $1,500- $2,400 a year.

I can't really think of anything in Southern CA that is 5 Star, except the Four Seasons Aviara, but since they only have 2 resorts, it doesn't meet your requirements to have a system of 5 star resorts that you can trade for. Using it as a regular trader with an exchange company would be like depositing a Mercedes in a pool of Chey's - not a good value.

http://www.fourseasons.com/northsan...3aviaS01&KW_ID=sA8XRSxeO_dc|pcrid|22937889642 -

Tahoe, where there is a Marriott and a Hyatt might work for you.

Last edited:

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Trade more.

School schedule.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

After looking at your answers, I'd suggest checking out Marriott 2 bedroom platinum weeks. MFs are lower on weeks vs. their points program. You could buy a 2 bedroom at either newport coast villas or Palm desert. Newport would be good if you want to use it for home use, as Crystal Cove is very close. With either, you'd have priority for any marriott trading in II and that would get you the Maui and Kaui exchanges during high season.

Hiltons are very nice, but there aren't any in Maui or Kaui. They trade in RCI and since they are among the best that RCI has to offer, you'd be trading down most of the time.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I forgot about Marriott's Newport Coast Villas - that is an excellent idea, unless it's TOO close to home for you.

darnoc23

Reaction score
Thank you both for the response. Apologies, I think I read question #8 incorrectly. For some reason I thought it was asking for amenities that's important to me and gave beach areas and kid activities the most import rating. Anyways, I'm not sure of the accommodation rating. As far as timeshares I've stayed at the Sheraton Vista in Orlando and Villa Estancia in Cabo San Lucas. So those types of accommodations is what I'm looking for. Regarding not buying in Mexico, is it because I can probably rent cheaper than purchasing. I was considering purchasing Villa Estancia if there was any resales. Friends have told me that I should look into Wyndham/Worldmark since my family does travel a lot in different locations. Thoughts? Newport Marriot sounds good as well. What would be the price range for a 2 bedroom. Are there any timeshares in Laguna Beach that fit what I'm looking for? Thank you.

darnoc23

Reaction score
Apologies, I forgot to ask also. I read in a thread that purchasing Mariott in resale doesn't give the same points and trading as if I purchased from them? Can someone confirm the cons of purchasing from a resale for Mariott. I see a couple of listings for Newport in the marketplace and is within my budget. Thanks.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Friends have told me that I should look into Wyndham/Worldmark since my family does travel a lot in different locations. Thoughts?
I love Worldmark because it has so many locations. However, if a Marriott is about a 5 on a scale of 1 to 5, Worldmark would be about 3.
Apologies, I forgot to ask also. I read in a thread that purchasing Mariott in resale doesn't give the same points and trading as if I purchased from them? Can someone confirm the cons of purchasing from a resale for Mariott. I see a couple of listings for Newport in the marketplace and is within my budget. Thanks.

I wouldn't buy Marriott points. You'd want to buy a week. A platinum week will trade very highly in II for any other Marriott. If you buy a gold season, you'd be getting good trades in the gold season, etc. Size also matters for trading.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was considering purchasing Villa Estancia if there was any resales.

Villa la estancia is fractional ownership, minimum of 6 or 8 weeks. They do have resales but they are $$$. I checked in their nuevo vallarta location and $144k was the lowest price for a 2nd floor 2br unit. You can probably find a fire sale but it won't be less than $100k, at least not when I last looked a year ago.

Villa del Arco/ del palmar is the traditional timeshare part of the Villa Group.

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
Villa la estancia is fractional ownership, minimum of 6 or 8 weeks. They do have resales but they are $$$. I checked in their nuevo vallarta location and $144k was the lowest price for a 2nd floor 2br unit. You can probably find a fire sale but it won't be less than $100k, at least not when I last looked a year ago.

Villa del Arco/ del palmar is the traditional timeshare part of the Villa Group.

what are MF on something like that?.. if you are getting 8 wks for 100k that's about 12.5k per week.. is the place worth that?

12.5 will buy a lot of nice resale places .

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
what are MF on something like that?.. if you are getting 8 wks for 100k that's about 12.5k per week.. is the place worth that?

12.5 will buy a lot of nice resale places .

As of last year , it was $3.7k for the 8 weeks. It's an awesome resort. Rated #1 in tripadvisor and 4 diamond rated. If I had the $$ and could afford it easily and near retirement, I would purchase, but that's not the case so no go for me.

It belongs to a high end trade system for fractional ownerships which includes four seasons.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Are there any timeshares in Laguna Beach that fit what I'm looking for?
There are two in Laguna Beach:
Laguna Shores - http://www.thegoodlifelaguna.com/
Laguna Surf - http://www.lagunasurf.org/
Both are rated "Gold Crown" by RCI. They are older resorts with smaller rooms and fewer amenities than some newer resorts. The location for both is fantastic, right by the beach. To me, that location is just fabulous and makes up for nearly any other flaws such as ugly furniture or lack of a pool (Laguna Surf does not have a pool). I haven't stayed at either so I can't speak to the rooms or service.

My impression for both is that they're currently better for use than for trading. A lot of people who trade seem to prefer on-site amenities over proximity to the beach or town. And the bigger resorts get more attention too simply because bigger means more people stay there and thus more word-of-mouth, more online reviews, etc.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Neither of those can hold a family of 6.
Not in one room ;)

Yeah, they're not a great option for the OP. At least not now. But he was curious about Laguna Beach and no one answered the question directly. So those are the options in Laguna Beach. And BTW, both timeshares have owners' resales listings right on their webpages, which in my opinion is a great sign.

1950bing

Reaction score
Plan all the way through ! Know what to do when you no longer want it or can not use it. What you buy can determine how easy it will be to unload. Don't assume the kids will want it.

darnoc23

Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. More research. Interesting in Villa Estancia. We stayed their about 2-3 years ago and went through the presentation. Previously it was like a timeshare program where we were offered a week. It was a very nice place.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses. More research. Interesting in Villa Estancia. We stayed their about 2-3 years ago and went through the presentation. Previously it was like a timeshare program where we were offered a week. It was a very nice place.

Buying in Mexico is a horrible idea and it's not just because renting is cheaper. I wouldn't take any timeshare in Mexico even if you paid me $3k to take it. You have little to no recourse and it is very hard to get rid of.

You wanted help choosing your first timeshare and nobody is going to suggest that the answer is one in Mexico.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I think you are talking about Villa del Palmar or Villa del Arco which is next to Villa la Estancia since they are all under the Villa Group.

darnoc23

Reaction score
Seaport, I think you're right. We stayed at Villa Estancia, however the presentation was for the units next door. I recall it's the one with the pirate ship in the pool.

Anyone have any thoughts on going with Starwood?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seaport, I think you're right. We stayed at Villa Estancia, however the presentation was for the units next door. I recall it's the one with the pirate ship in the pool.

Anyone have any thoughts on going with Starwood?

Yes, the one with the pirate ship is Villa del Arco, one of their newer resorts.

As for Starwood, for me their selection of resorts was not a good fit for me. I'm a beach vacationer but unfortunately, Hawaii is too far from the East Coast for me to go every year when I can only get away a week at a time. Other than Atlantis and St. John, none of their other resorts interests me that much. Their restrictions on banking (due by July, I think) turned me off as well. But to each it's own. Plus I have a good friend who owns a 2 units in Atlantis that will rent me her unit at cost since I'm the one she goes to with her timeshare questions and I found her resale 3BR Gold (her 1st unit was developer purchase) :hysterical:

However, if I lived on the West Coast where Hawaii is easily accessible, it would be more attractive to me.

Last edited:

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
darnoc23- I was in the same shoes as you trying to figure out the "timeshare" thing and all I can say is research and read a ton of posts here on Tug.

The great thing about timeshares is every one's needs and expectations are different but this forum gives you multiple perspectives and it allows you to see which ones you relate to or fits your profile. I read through tons of posts and the stickies on each of the major systems to get a feel of the various nuiances associated with them, checked out the resort websites, tripadvisor, posted questions for approximately 8 months before I pulled the trigger and so far I am, as well as family and friends, loving them (even though I own 2 timeshare in Mexico :D).

Smokatoke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grandview. They give awesome point:MF value, u never have to use points to stay there its so inexpensive via cash and its very much driving distance from So Cal. The double units at GV are only $30 more than the single units so accomdations for 6 are do-able.

Koontzy

Reaction score
Do plenty if research also to make sure it's hat you want.