• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

UVC International

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Got it for a dollar without all those fees, that is good, but it was a RTU and how much for your maintenance fee if you don't' mind me asking. I did check ebay but cannot find something like that. what is the best way to find a cheap deal like you did on Ebay, what you searching for?

Thx for the information easyrider

There is a link to a thread in the mexico forum that explains everything UVC. Do a search for UVC or Villa del Palmar. Beach Barbecue Bob has placed alot of good info in these threads.

With UVC there are 5 tiers of ownership, fixed, premiere, gold, access points and elite access points. Fixed weeks are mostly the penthouses weeks.

Premiere has the lowest mf but has a higher cost for extras such as week banking and week splitting. Also has a 10 month reservation window. The mf on premiere contracts depends on when it was originally sold. Mine are just under $600 for the one bed and just over $600 for the 2 bed.

Having a RTU that expires gives you a way out eventually. Mine will be expired by the time Im 67 - 70 depending on how I use my weeks.

The reason I like UVC is the ability to travel to all of the resorts by just making a reservation, the ability to bank weeks forward to use later, the ability to pull weeks from upcoming years forward, the ability to split weeks along with location and resort size.

I had a Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach but got rid of it. It only traded into RCI. I couldn't use my home resort, Sunset Beach, to trade internally with the other Pueblo Bonito resorts.

The good word must be out as resales have seemed to dry up.

Bill

ProTurbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a link to a thread in the mexico forum that explains everything UVC. Do a search for UVC or Villa del Palmar. Beach Barbecue Bob has placed alot of good info in these threads.

With UVC there are 5 tiers of ownership, fixed, premiere, gold, access points and elite access points. Fixed weeks are mostly the penthouses weeks.

Premiere has the lowest mf but has a higher cost for extras such as week banking and week splitting. Also has a 10 month reservation window. The mf on premiere contracts depends on when it was originally sold. Mine are just under $600 for the one bed and just over $600 for the 2 bed.

Having a RTU that expires gives you a way out eventually. Mine will be expired by the time Im 67 - 70 depending on how I use my weeks.

The reason I like UVC is the ability to travel to all of the resorts by just making a reservation, the ability to bank weeks forward to use later, the ability to pull weeks from upcoming years forward, the ability to split weeks along with location and resort size.

I had a Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach but got rid of it. It only traded into RCI. I couldn't use my home resort, Sunset Beach, to trade internally with the other Pueblo Bonito resorts.

The good word must be out as resales have seemed to dry up.

Bill
Thx for the info much appreciated, I will definitely stick round and learn as much as I can and did find some nice 1 RTU on ebay today who sold right away but did not know if they had a tiers to them....

Thx Again.

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Thx for the info much appreciated, I will definitely stick round and learn as much as I can and did find some nice 1 RTU on ebay today who sold right away but did not know if they had a tiers to them....

Thx Again.

Hey ProTurbo -

Here's an easy way to learn more about UVC's properties and memberships:
1) Here's the member website http://www.myuvc.com/
2) Here's a link to a member presentation that does a great job of explaining the various levels of UVC memberships that Bill (Easyrider) was describing. Check it out http://www.myuvc.com/files/Members_101_Class - New Feb 2014-No Senior.pdf

My personal observations and recommendations regarding UVC membership:
1) Resorts - I really love most of the properties...especially Villa del Arco in Cabo and Villa del Palmar Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta. We just returned Saturday from a week at one of the two new resorts - Villa del Palmar Cancun. Absolutely stunning resort. Some pros and cons...I prefer Cabo. As Bill mentioned, one of the great UVC membership benefits is that once you own a membership you own at all the resorts. Your membership "floats" across all the inventory in all the resorts. Very flexible.
We're obviously fans of UVC - we own four weeks - three of those weeks purchased resale.

2) Buying a membership:
  • The memberships are RTU.
  • Do NOT buy a points (VPA) membership on the resale market. You'll likely pay a premium and resale points memberships revert to Premier memberships when sold but retain their higher maintenance fees.
  • I think the best option is to buy a resale "Winter Gold" membership. Don't opt for a summer week...those are essentially worthless unless you plan on visiting the resorts only during the summer months. Opt for the winter memberships
  • Look on eBay and search for Villa del Palmar...currently there is only one listing - an expensive one at that. As Bill mentioned, the eBay market for UVC memberships has really dried up. I've been looking for a two bedroom Gold Winter week for a friend = I've seen one listing on eBay that meets the bill since last April...and we lost out on that one. Your other options for finding a resale unit would be on the TUG Marketplace or on RedWeek. Remember to look at listings for all the UVC resorts...a Gold membership at one has equal rights across all resorts.
3) Maintenance Fees: UVC does not have the special assessments or every 5/10 year additional maintenance fees as some other Mexican properties do as referenced earlier in this thread.
UVC has held maintenance fees flat - no increase for the past three years. That's pretty good compared to some others.

4) Member update meetings:
I always read horror stories here about people having terrible experiences with the timeshare sharks. I have no doubt the stories are true. However, that said, I've been to 6-7 update meetings at UVC and with one exception they have been pretty short and painless.

5) All-Inclusive:
Everyone has their own opinion on AI...I prefer not to be on the AI - especially in Cabo where there are dozens of great restaurants a short walk or cab ride away.
All-Inclusive is offered as an option at all the UVC resorts. The costs vary by season and resort. It was $105 per person per day in Cancun last week. $89 per person per day at Villa del Arco in late Feb this year.
If you elect all-inclusive it must be for all people staying in the unit for a minimum of three days.

6) Exchanging:
All Gold/VPA memberships include an "optional" week. As a member you have the right but not the obligation to pay a second maintenance fee in any year and reserve a summer week. You can then use this week and stay at the resort or use it as a "trader" and exchange for a week via Interval International. This is a poorly understood feature of the UVC memberships. Sort of a two for one. Buy a winter week pay the maintenance fee and stay in a great UVC resort...but, wait, there's more...pay one more maintenance fee and stay at another great resort somewhere else during the same year. One membership, two weeks of vacation...but never forgetting you also pay two maintenance fees.

UVC Premier memberships trade via RCI. I'm not a RCI member so I can't speak to that.
UVC Gold/VPA memberships trade via Interval International.
We've exchanged this optional week via Interval Int'l several times in the past few years...contrary to public opinion expressed earlier in this thread, I've found these weeks to trade just fine...
We've traded into the Marriott Frenchman's Cove in St Thomas, USVI, (this is a pretty hard trade), Westin Lagunamar in Cancun (Mexico to Mexico trade so pretty easy), Grand Solmar in Cabo (Mexico to Mexico...but this is a rare trade...Grand Solmar is something else), Grande Bay Resort in St John, USVI (another tough trade).

7) New resorts.
Membership contracts explicitly state that the membership includes all future UVC resorts. During my owner update meeting in Cabo in February they announced that they have acquired property and will be building another resort in Cabo on the corridor north of the current resorts and south of where the Westin is located. This was confirmed by the General Manager of the resort and the Regional Manager of all the Baja resorts.
UVC usually builds two resorts at a time...they alluded to but were not specific about something south of the Cancun area. They own a ton of property next to the existing Cancun resort. I wouldn't be surprised to see that they build out phase 2 there rather than at a new location. Time will tell.

FWIW

Good luck.

bbb

ProTurbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey ProTurbo -

Here's an easy way to learn more about UVC's properties and memberships:
1) Here's the member website http://www.myuvc.com/
2) Here's a link to a member presentation that does a great job of explaining the various levels of UVC memberships that Bill (Easyrider) was describing. Check it out http://www.myuvc.com/files/Members_101_Class - New Feb 2014-No Senior.pdf

My personal observations and recommendations regarding UVC membership:
1) Resorts - I really love most of the properties...especially Villa del Arco in Cabo and Villa del Palmar Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta. We just returned Saturday from a week at one of the two new resorts - Villa del Palmar Cancun. Absolutely stunning resort. Some pros and cons...I prefer Cabo. As Bill mentioned, one of the great UVC membership benefits is that once you own a membership you own at all the resorts. Your membership "floats" across all the inventory in all the resorts. Very flexible.
We're obviously fans of UVC - we own four weeks - three of those weeks purchased resale.

2) Buying a membership:
  • The memberships are RTU.
  • Do NOT buy a points (VPA) membership on the resale market. You'll likely pay a premium and resale points memberships revert to Premier memberships when sold but retain their higher maintenance fees.
  • I think the best option is to buy a resale "Winter Gold" membership. Don't opt for a summer week...those are essentially worthless unless you plan on visiting the resorts only during the summer months. Opt for the winter memberships
  • Look on eBay and search for Villa del Palmar...currently there is only one listing - an expensive one at that. As Bill mentioned, the eBay market for UVC memberships has really dried up. I've been looking for a two bedroom Gold Winter week for a friend = I've seen one listing on eBay that meets the bill since last April...and we lost out on that one. Your other options for finding a resale unit would be on the TUG Marketplace or on RedWeek. Remember to look at listings for all the UVC resorts...a Gold membership at one has equal rights across all resorts.
3) Maintenance Fees: UVC does not have the special assessments or every 5/10 year additional maintenance fees as some other Mexican properties do as referenced earlier in this thread.
UVC has held maintenance fees flat - no increase for the past three years. That's pretty good compared to some others.

4) Member update meetings:
I always read horror stories here about people having terrible experiences with the timeshare sharks. I have no doubt the stories are true. However, that said, I've been to 6-7 update meetings at UVC and with one exception they have been pretty short and painless.

5) All-Inclusive:
Everyone has their own opinion on AI...I prefer not to be on the AI - especially in Cabo where there are dozens of great restaurants a short walk or cab ride away.
All-Inclusive is offered as an option at all the UVC resorts. The costs vary by season and resort. It was $105 per person per day in Cancun last week. $89 per person per day at Villa del Arco in late Feb this year.
If you elect all-inclusive it must be for all people staying in the unit for a minimum of three days.

6) Exchanging:
All Gold/VPA memberships include an "optional" week. As a member you have the right but not the obligation to pay a second maintenance fee in any year and reserve a summer week. You can then use this week and stay at the resort or use it as a "trader" and exchange for a week via Interval International. This is a poorly understood feature of the UVC memberships. Sort of a two for one. Buy a winter week pay the maintenance fee and stay in a great UVC resort...but, wait, there's more...pay one more maintenance fee and stay at another great resort somewhere else during the same year. One membership, two weeks of vacation...but never forgetting you also pay two maintenance fees.

UVC Premier memberships trade via RCI. I'm not a RCI member so I can't speak to that.
UVC Gold/VPA memberships trade via Interval International.
We've exchanged this optional week via Interval Int'l several times in the past few years...contrary to public opinion expressed earlier in this thread, I've found these weeks to trade just fine...
We've traded into the Marriott Frenchman's Cove in St Thomas, USVI, (this is a pretty hard trade), Westin Lagunamar in Cancun (Mexico to Mexico trade so pretty easy), Grand Solmar in Cabo (Mexico to Mexico...but this is a rare trade...Grand Solmar is something else), Grande Bay Resort in St John, USVI (another tough trade).

7) New resorts.
Membership contracts explicitly state that the membership includes all future UVC resorts. During my owner update meeting in Cabo in February they announced that they have acquired property and will be building another resort in Cabo on the corridor north of the current resorts and south of where the Westin is located. This was confirmed by the General Manager of the resort and the Regional Manager of all the Baja resorts.
UVC usually builds two resorts at a time...they alluded to but were not specific about something south of the Cancun area. They own a ton of property next to the existing Cancun resort. I wouldn't be surprised to see that they build out phase 2 there rather than at a new location. Time will tell.

FWIW

Good luck.

bbb
BBB thank you very much for all the great information, I will make sure to follow your wisdom when buying and searching for a UVC property.

I really Like Cabo, What I'm looking for is a 2br property if I can, but will opt for a Jr Suite if the terms are great.

We always did a A.I. in all the resort we did, if we do get a time share will definitely try new restaurants and feel what cabo and other towns have to offer.

thx again

Dan

Smudge

Reaction score
Renting 2-br with VDP

Several posters in this thread mentioned that it is actually cheaper to rent at the VDP locations rather than to own and pay maintenance fees.

What are some of the best ways to rent a 2-br at the VDP Flamingos, Cabo and Cancun locations? Thanks very much!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look in the TUG Marketplace rentals (red stripe above here) under Mexico, at #197 or 312. There are others, and remember if you are flexible, there are LOTS of VERY nice resorts in Mexico. If you are committed to one size unit at one resort, you will have to pay what the owner asks. These are private rentals

Of course, as the time before move-in gets shorter, the price goes down- and sometimes the airfae=re does too. Sometimes it doesn't . It's like 'playing 'Vacation Chicken' Do I book ahead and lock it in, or wait.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are some of the best ways to rent a 2-br at the VDP Flamingos, Cabo and Cancun locations? Thanks very much!

Besides TUG Marketplace, you can peruse the rentals on Red Week, E-Bay, Craigslist, My Resort Network, VRBO, or even Bidshares. As well, if you can wait until 1.5 months before your intended travel date to book, try posting an ad in TUG's Last Minute Rental section.

ProTurbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on red week, and look at a ad for:

"Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico,"

I ask a few ?'s, but one that a need your expertise on is when I ask if I was going be always be in the Del Arco when I reserve my week? and the reply was:

"This is a Premier membership with the home resort being Villa Del Palmar, Cabo. You are allowed to reserve at that resort up to 24 months in advance. You are also allowed to reserve at any of the other UVC/Villa Group Resorts, such as Villa Del Arco, up to 10 months in advance. As with any floating unit/week timeshare, always based upon demand"

My ? is why only 10 month for Del Arco and 24 month for Palmar, when his advertising for Arco??? the ad did not mention Palmar at all

Thx

Dan

Last edited:

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
I was on red week, and look at a ad for:

"Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico,"

I ask a few ?'s, but one that a need your expertise on is when I ask if I was going be always be in the Del Arco when I reserve my week? and the reply was:

"This is a Premier membership with the home resort being Villa Del Palmar, Cabo. You are allowed to reserve at that resort up to 24 months in advance. You are also allowed to reserve at any of the other UVC/Villa Group Resorts, such as Villa Del Arco, up to 10 months in advance. As with any floating unit/week timeshare, always based upon demand"

My ? is why only 10 month for Del Arco and 24 month for Palmar, when his advertising for Arco??? the ad did not mention Palmar at all

Thx

Dan

While he is advertising in the Villa del Arco section, he is really selling a UVC membership so he has placed is ad on one of the UVC areas. Some sellers will list under every resort...which given the nature of the memberships is fair. As always with timeshare sales remember "buyer beware". You need to take ownership of making sure you are buying what you want.

The reason is the difference in the ownership rights that accrue to the different membership types. See the link I posted earlier to the membership presentation. Premier memberships have fewer/lesser membership rights that Gold/VPA (aka points) memberships. Premier memberships have a home resort. Gold/VPA memberships do not...unless they are fixed week memberships.

When is comes to reservations a Premier membership may make reservations up to 24 months in advance at it's "home" resort (usually VDP Cabo or Puerto Vallarta) and at any UVC resort 10 months in advance. Premier memberships were the main memberships sold back when there were only the original two resorts. Shortly after opening Villa del Arco and Flamingos UVC began selling Gold memberships. Gold members have equal rights in all current and future UVC resorts. Gold members may make reservations up to 24 months in advance at any UVC resort.

There are many other membership differences between Premier and Gold. This is one of the compelling reasons that I suggested a Gold Winter week is the best option when buying resale...especially if your goal is to be able to stay at Villa del Arco during the busy winter season in particular Feb/Mar.

Good luck.

bbb

ProTurbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
While he is advertising in the Villa del Arco section, he is really selling a UVC membership so he has placed is ad on one of the UVC areas. Some sellers will list under every resort...which given the nature of the memberships is fair. As always with timeshare sales remember "buyer beware". You need to take ownership of making sure you are buying what you want.

The reason is the difference in the ownership rights that accrue to the different membership types. See the link I posted earlier to the membership presentation. Premier memberships have fewer/lesser membership rights that Gold/VPA (aka points) memberships. Premier memberships have a home resort. Gold/VPA memberships do not...unless they are fixed week memberships.

When is comes to reservations a Premier membership may make reservations up to 24 months in advance at it's "home" resort (usually VDP Cabo or Puerto Vallarta) and at any UVC resort 10 months in advance. Premier memberships were the main memberships sold back when there were only the original two resorts. Shortly after opening Villa del Arco and Flamingos UVC began selling Gold memberships. Gold members have equal rights in all current and future UVC resorts. Gold members may make reservations up to 24 months in advance at any UVC resort.

There are many other membership differences between Premier and Gold. This is one of the compelling reasons that I suggested a Gold Winter week is the best option when buying resale...especially if your goal is to be able to stay at Villa del Arco during the busy winter season in particular Feb/Mar.

Good luck.

bbb
Its almost misleading, like you said buyer beware, that's why I ask a lot of ? on that one. but I did also found and ask a lot on a TS that I found in sellmytimesharenow.

it was under flamingo, but its a Arco, also stated had 2 banked weeks, but they were expired. I guess after 5 years you lose them. It goes like this

$ 900.00 for the TS
Home resort villa del Arco
Gold membership
Floating week
Unit type is one bedroom that sleeps 4 (like a JR Suite)
Expiration year 2036
Seasons summer weeks 18 through 43 which is may to October
Maintenance fees are approx $794
No Bank weeks

and dunno about the transfer fee yet.

One problem is that, its a summer season :(

Pretty close to what I want

Dan

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
Its almost misleading, like you said buyer beware, that's why I ask a lot of ? on that one. but I did also found and ask a lot on a TS that I found in sellmytimesharenow.

it was under flamingo, but its a Arco, also stated had 2 banked weeks, but they were expired. I guess after 5 years you lose them. It goes like this

$ 900.00 for the TS
Home resort villa del Arco
Gold membership
Floating week
Unit type is one bedroom that sleeps 4 (like a JR Suite)
Expiration year 2036
Seasons summer weeks 18 through 43 which is may to October
Maintenance fees are approx $794
No Bank weeks

and dunno about the transfer fee yet.

One problem is that, its a summer season :(

Pretty close to what I want

Dan

Couple thoughts:
1) Don't buy a summer week if you wish to use it in the winter season. Yes, there is a membership benefit that allows you to "upgrade" from summer to winter by paying the difference in maintenance fees. The problem is that you can only exercise that right within 60 days of your intended stay and only if there is inventory available. Impossible at Arco during the winter...perhaps at VDP Cabo or Puerto Vallarta.
2) $900 is too much for a summer week. It should be free and include the seller paying all the transfer fees. UVC now charges 10% of the initial purchase price for the transfer fee...That's probably going to be in the neighborhood of $1800-$2000. Pretty steep price for a summer week. Check this link for more information about UVC transfer fees http://www.myuvc.com/default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=241800&ssid=96514&vnf=1#resale
3) Unless the membership is for a fixed week, Gold memberships do not have a home resort - regardless of what the ad says . When it was initially purchased, UVC may have "inventoried" it from Arco, but that has no impact on your membership rights/benefits. It's a floating week with equal rights across all UVC resorts. Many buyers/sellers "think" they own at Arco because they bought there...but that is not the case.
4) Since the maintenance fees are $794 that indicates to me that it is a true one bedroom with kitchen/living area plus a full master bedroom. If it were a studio/lockoff the maintenance fees would be more in the $500-600 range.
5) Yes, weeks can be banked for up to five years...then they expire.

FWIW

bbb

ProTurbo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Couple thoughts:
1) Don't buy a summer week if you wish to use it in the winter season. Yes, there is a membership benefit that allows you to "upgrade" from summer to winter by paying the difference in maintenance fees. The problem is that you can only exercise that right within 60 days of your intended stay and only if there is inventory available. Impossible at Arco during the winter...perhaps at VDP Cabo or Puerto Vallarta.
2) $900 is too much for a summer week. It should be free and include the seller paying all the transfer fees. UVC now charges 10% of the initial purchase price for the transfer fee...That's probably going to be in the neighborhood of $1800-$2000. Pretty steep price for a summer week. Check this link for more information about UVC transfer fees http://www.myuvc.com/default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=241800&ssid=96514&vnf=1#resale
3) Unless the membership is for a fixed week, Gold memberships do not have a home resort - regardless of what the ad says . When it was initially purchased, UVC may have "inventoried" it from Arco, but that has no impact on your membership rights/benefits. It's a floating week with equal rights across all UVC resorts. Many buyers/sellers "think" they own at Arco because they bought there...but that is not the case.
4) Since the maintenance fees are $794 that indicates to me that it is a true one bedroom with kitchen/living area plus a full master bedroom. If it were a studio/lockoff the maintenance fees would be more in the $500-600 range.
5) Yes, weeks can be banked for up to five years...then they expire.

FWIW

bbb
Ya I definitely want a winter season and gold VPA(how do u get that)

also very glad you told me about #3 above, I would of waiting long for a Arco or Loreto. so I get a gold membership(how much) and I get no homeresort and I can make 24 month reservation to any Villa right? and must be a floater/

But why I see a lot TS floaters with gold member, and saying Villa Del Palmar is the home? I guess they don't know, right?

Good information...thx BBB

Dan

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
Ya I definitely want a winter season and gold VPA(how do u get that)

Keep looking!! For example, there's a two bedroom gold winter week for sale right now on Redweek.com. Look under Cabo San Lucas and Villa del Palmar Cabo. But...check it out closely...it says it's for high season on the summary listing page, but the ad copy does not say anything about the specific season. It also doesn't say it's a Gold memberhip, but I can infer that based on the maintenance fees and the expiration year. Still needs to be verified.

Assuming it checks out then it's simply an opportunity to negotiate. I think the price is about double what it should be and don't forget the 10% transfer fee likely to be close to $3000.

Check it out.

also very glad you told me about #3 above, I would of waiting long for a Arco or Loreto. so I get a gold membership(how much) and I get no homeresort and I can make 24 month reservation to any Villa right? and must be a floater/

Yes. Unless indicated as a fixed week, a gold unit floats across all resorts. There are a very limited number of fixed gold weeks that were sold...primarily oceanfront penthouses.

Gold members get 24 month lead times for reservations.

But why I see a lot TS floaters with gold member, and saying Villa Del Palmar is the home? I guess they don't know, right?

My guess is that the person selling the unit isn't that familiar with the UVC world. They may be a resale sales person that deals with dozens of different resorts all with different policies or perhaps it's a family member disposing of a no longer needed membership.

Good luck

bbb

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Hey Bob, we looked for you a couple of times. We spent a week next door at the VDP then headed to Sunset Beach where we turned two rci extra vacations into a villa suite. Our friends already had a villa reserved. I am done with villas. The Arco penthouses are about as good as it gets, imo.

The way these premiere and gold contracts are disappearing it could be the resort has smartened up and has been actively purchasing these contracts through a proxy buyer. I have been called every few weeks with offers of purchase on my contracts. This would be a good way for UVC to be rid of products like the premiere contracts that are paying about $300 or more less a year in mf on a 1 bed unit.

Because most people procrastinate there has never been a problem for a premiere contract owner to reserve a week anywhere when the reservation is made before the 8 month out period. That being said, at 8 months out it gets dicey for all contract holders to reserve at the more popular UVC resorts because of lack of inventory. This happened to me this year in Cabo because I waited too long and got stuck at the VDP instead of the Arco. I did work out for us as we were upgraded to an ocean front penthouse, which are not too shabby.

Bill

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA/Elite/Gold
Hi Bill -

We were at Arco for two weeks in Feb and just returned from a week at the VDP Cancun. Beautiful resort, nice time, but I guess I just like Cabo better. Spent two great days on Isla Mujeres though.

We'll be back at Arco for two weeks including Turkey Day in Nov and two, maybe three weeks in February. So lots of chances to run into one another again.

I think you're right...It would be very smart of UVC to inhale all the outstanding Premier memberships they can and then the outstanding Golds (once they've given up converting the remaining Gold members to points). I think the way they account for the inventory under the points system is far more advantageous for them. Not to mention that the maintenance fees on new memberships are significantly higher too.

They recently instituted a 10% transfer fee to non-family members...so if they are buying for their own purposes then they can easily agree to "pay" the transfer fees on a sale since they are transferring to themselves. Gives them a competitive advantage in pursuing those units when they become available. If I were them that's what I'd do.

I think there are certain times/weeks at Arco specifically that are difficult to get into without booking around 12 months out. We like to spend a two/three week block in February. That usually includes President's Day week. We don't care about that, but lots of other people do. We've seen a lot of problems booking that week. The last week of March as well. Our daughter is a school teacher...that's the big spring break week for high schools around here. Arco was booked last year and again this year at about 10-11 months...so we went to Flamingos last year and Cancun this year for her break - neither of which suck by the way :) Also, this year will be our second visit over Thanksgiving week...my brother's family is joining us. He owns a gold week and was not able to get a week reserved at Arco at 10 months.

Hope to bump into you again soon. Loved the Loreto pics by the way. The ones with the whales were incredible.

bbb