• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

e-mailing- member to member

bc803

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! Sorry if this question is not posted in the correct area of the site. I just joined today so please be patient with me. Thanks

My question is about the member to member email service on the TUG BBS.
When you send an email does it go to the recipients personal email account or does it have to be received/read on this site? What about the response from the original email recipient, would that come to my personal (home) email account or back on this site somehow?

Thanks from the new guy, "80J"

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It goes to the email that the member provided, unless they have their email blocked. However, when you receive an email through TUG, your personal email address is not revealed to the sender, unless you reply to them.

If you use the Private Message function instead, you communicate through your TUG message box, and your private email is not used or revealed, at all.

bc803

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise,

So an email I just sent to another member went to their personal email but they cannot see my personal email address. Right? What address/name would it show?

Now if/when they respond back to me it will come to my personal email inbox and I would then see their personal email address and they will still not know mine until I would reply back to them? Did I get that right?

80J

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you are the sender - it shows your email.

If you are the receiver, the sender doesn't see your email, unless you respond.

Unless you are going to spam members with unsolicited offers, you will be fine. ;)

Last edited:

bc803

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it's not an offer. I have an issue in common with another member that I read on an old post and I am seeking info from them regarding their experience.

Thanks, 80J

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, it's not an offer. I have an issue in common with another member that I read on an old post and I am seeking info from them regarding their experience.

Thanks, 80J

If they are active on TUG, you can just send them a PM.

If they posted long ago and never came back, they may not want to discuss it anyway.

What is your concern about sending them an email?

bc803

TUG Member
Reaction score
Concerned that they would be uneasy with questions from a stranger in a personal email as I do not like getting unsolicited mail.

......and I'm just trying to learn the customs/rules here.

Is there a spell check here? I can't find it?:wall:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Click on my blue user name and send me a pm with their user name, and I may be able to shed some light on that.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For spell check, it's the little 'abc' 3rd icon from the right in the compose window.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
My problem with the TUG service is that I cant send or receive attachments. So I have to ask for an email address and provide mine.

I have never understood why some people want to keep their email address secret. Like an unlisted phone number, it doesnt make sense to me. The purpose of these things is to make communication possible. How can people communicate with me, and me with them unless our phone numbers and email addresses are easy to find

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
spam mostly...

we get far more complaints from folks having their emails harvested and ending up on spam/scam lists.

there is nothing that prevents someone from putting their email address on their ad(in the description) if they like...and every ad poster is specifically asked if they want to include a phone number on the ad.

if its not there, they specifically didnt put it there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The OP wants to contact a guest, who posted a time or two, and then disappeared, over a year ago - it's not regarding an Ad.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks Denise,

So an email I just sent to another member went to their personal email but they cannot see my personal email address. Right? What address/name would it show?

Now if/when they respond back to me it will come to my personal email inbox and I would then see their personal email address and they will still not know mine until I would reply back to them? Did I get that right?

80J

As soon as you send the email through the BBS, the person who receives it has your email address. You don't have theirs until they reply to your email to them.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As soon as you send the email through the BBS, the person who receives it has your email address. You don't have theirs until they reply to your email to them.

Post from July?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Post from July?

Yeah, who knows what I was thinking. It was on the first page of the forum, so for some reason I thought it was fairly new. Guess this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic for new threads.