• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Returned From Cancun

irish1218

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just returned from Cancun last night and had a great time. Stayed at the Barcelo Tucancun Beach Resort which has a "Vacation Club" with Villas. We went all inclusive and Stayed in the Norte Tower while our other two friends wound up in the Sur Tower.Room was great, overlooking the Caribbean (unobstructed" while the Sur tower view was somewhat obstructed being behind the villas. The service at the resort was top notch, anywhere you went you were greeted with an "Hola" and a smile. We ariived about 12:15pm and we were told the room wasn't ready until 3pm. But we were given wristbands and told to start enjoying the facilities. We went to one of the 5 resturaunts had a nice lunch and multiple margaritas. At 3pm we went to the room, nicely done in marble and tile, very clean and with a balcony. The resort has 3 pools and daily activities. At night they have a diffrent theme show that was good.

We used Brant at USA Transfers for our ride to and from the airport. After the initial madness, we got outside and found the USA sign, we waited about 5 minutes for our driver and then off to the resort. USA is $52.00 roundtrip. ON the return to the airport the driver arrived exactly at the pickup time. Will definitely use Brant again.

We ate at Lorito Joe's across from the Marriott one night, it was good but it is not like Joe's of old. Instead of unlimited lobster with their buffet special, they limit you to one 10 oz tail. Still not a bad deal for $49.

Utilized the buses to travel and they are a great value at 6.5 pesos (65 cents). Highest exchange rate for the week was 10.74 pesos to the Dollar.
we took the bus to Gran Puerto Cancun then the Ultamar ferry for $7 round Trip to Isla Mujeres. There we rented a golf cart to tour the Island. Another good trip you can take yourslef without paying the high prices at the resort. Saw at the main bus terminal, bus rides to Tulum, Coba and Playa de Carmen starting at $14us roundtrip on nice roomy air conditioned coaches.

The beach in front of our resort was fantastic, plenty of sand, no rocks at all. THe only problem was it was pretty windy and the waves were crashing in pretty good.

The weather was great, no rain at all in mid 80's to low 90's

There was no pressure at all from staff to see the vacation club presentation and you could do as much as you wanted or nothing at all.

Lots of new construction going on in the Hotel zone as big money condo highrises are being built.

If anyone has any questions please ask as I traveled along the hotel zone and downtown

JEFF H

Reaction score
Dave,
Thanks for posting your review.
How much was the all-inclusive plan per person at this resort and did you feel it was a good value?

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Tucancun one week on RCI exchange about 7 years ago and were deeply disappointed with maintenance, housekeeping and services. Things could have changed since then but with so many newer resorts in Cancun and in Riviera Maya this place is certainly not on my list. :eek: :(

Kola

irish1218

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was no problem with sea lice to report. traveled by buying a package on Expedia which included the all inclusive, room and airfare fro about $689 from Indianapolis. I thought it was a great value just for the convenience of not having to pay for drinks or meals which are available all day. I have done other all inclusives and thought this was one of the best.

THings have probably changed alot in 7 years because this resort was immaculate. The rooms were spotless everyday, the grounds were great, and the service was top notch. The management staff was also around making sure things were being done right. I will return on my off years from my timeshares.

mexico-mvt

Reaction score
Utilized the buses to travel and they are a great value at 6.5 pesos (65 cents). Highest exchange rate for the week was 10.74 pesos to the Dollar.
we took the bus to Gran Puerto Cancun then the Ultamar ferry for $7 round Trip to Isla Mujeres. There we rented a golf cart to tour the Island. Another good trip you can take yourslef without paying the high prices at the resort. Saw at the main bus terminal, bus rides to Tulum, Coba and Playa de Carmen starting at $14us roundtrip on nice roomy air conditioned coaches.

The beach in front of our resort was fantastic, plenty of sand, no rocks at all. THe only problem was it was pretty windy and the waves were crashing in pretty good.

The weather was great, no rain at all in mid 80's to low 90's

You seemed to cover all the things that I needed to know for a trip. Except shopping. I love to go to flea markets. Do they have one over there? I like to buy some native handicrafts from places I have been to.
thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note that this is a thread from 2007.

Jameson18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why is a 2007 thread getting posted now??? This was a little confusing since some of the information is changed. The bus fare in Cancun now is 7.5 psos, and I think the beaches are in bad shape.
However, I did find a section i was really interested in which is the trip to Isla Mujeres. Has anyone else tried this lately, which is to take the bus to Gran Puerto Cancun and then the ferry without booking it as a tour. I was thinking of doing it during our last trip but didn't get around to it.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get to Isla on your own via any of the ferries-- the price per person is under 20 dollars. When you get off the ferry you can do whatever you wish - walk around, rent a golf cart.

Jameson18

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get to Isla on your own via any of the ferries-- the price per person is under 20 dollars. When you get off the ferry you can do whatever you wish - walk around, rent a golf cart.

Thanx Karen; What is there to do apart from walking around. I heard of tours on Isla but don't really know if it is worth going there. Are there restaurants, shops, open beaches ? also, the earlier message said 7 dollars, is this correct or is it closer to 20 dollars...

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jameson, I haven't been there in a few years, but I recall it was about 15 dollars; the peso has moved up and down since then. What to do?? There is a nice beach at the end of the island just past the town. If you are a shopper, many people buy jewelry there - they think the prices are better. There are some nice looking restaurants as well. At the other end of the island is El Garrafon, where you can snorkel and swim with the dolphins. There are some old ruins out there and a lighthouse at the end of the island.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanx Karen; What is there to do apart from walking around. I heard of tours on Isla but don't really know if it is worth going there. Are there restaurants, shops, open beaches ? also, the earlier message said 7 dollars, is this correct or is it closer to 20 dollars...

We recently paid about $5 -$6 each round trip on the Ultramar when the exchange rate was 13 to 1. They only accepted cash. I recommend taking a taxi to the ferry station since you would need to change buses. It cost around 180 Pesos for a taxi each way from the Tri - Royals.

There are other ferries that are closer to the hotel zone but the boat is much smaller than the Ultramar, the schedule is less frequent and it cost much more (cost about $16 round trip per person).

It was worth the trip especially since the beaches in Cancun are not the best right now. The beach in Isla Mujeres is very nice.

It cost 160 Pesos to rent 2 lounge chairs and 1 umbrella on the beach at Isla Mujeres.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Why is a 2007 thread getting posted now??? This was a little confusing since some of the information is changed.

Because mexico-mvt, who is probably a spammer, posted to a bunch of old posts and brought them out of mothballs. Next week he or one of his buddies will come back around and answer his "questions" with spam...

Jameson18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanx Denise;

Actually I am glad the info was there, i was looking for this for some time and now I have some great answers. Thanx All. Plans for next year. Thanx NJdave....by the way, how do you get to the Ultramar by bus from Tri Royals.

jschmidt

Reaction score
how do you get to the Ultramar by bus from Tri Royals.

You will catch the Route 1 bus that has a “Puerto Juarez” sign in the front window. The Route 1 buses that do not have the “Puerto Juarez” sign in the window turn around on Calle de Jose Lopez Portillo just past the end of Calle Tulum. The buses with the “Puerto Juarez” sign continue on Calle de Jose Lopez Portillo and turn around at Puerto Juarez.

There are three places you can catch a public transportation boat across to Isla Mujeres.

1. Gran Puerto Ultramar. Look for the light house and get off there. That will be about one kilometer before you get to Puerto Juarez.
2. Puerto Juarez, where the Route 1 bus turns around.
3. At the car ferry dock which is past Puerto Juarez. This can be gotten to by taxi or car (of course).

Here’s a map if you’re interested: http://cancungooglemaps.com/cancun-downtown-map.htm . Look for the two boat symbols that are on the coast north of downtown Cancun. One is Gran Puerto Ultramar and the other is Puerto Juarez.

Remember the local people have to get to work at all the places the tours take you, which means there will be public transportation to all those destinations. :whoopie:

Jameson18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Info, thanx Jschmidt and all. I wish i had asked these questions before we went to Cancun. My wife kept asking me to plan a trip to Isla and Playa del Carmen but I didn't want to take tour buses, i hate being pushed into tours and herded like sheep, its so frustrating.....:wall:
Oh well, i'll have a better plan for next year...Tanx all, what a wonderful group.
:clap:

jschmidt

Reaction score
My wife kept asking me to plan a trip to Isla and Playa del Carmen

If you want to go to Playa del Carmen, catch the Route 1 bus to the bus station (see the bus (station) on the map in my above post) and take the bus to Playa. They leave every 10 minutes and cost $32 Mex. Pesos per person one way ( http://www.playadelcarmentravelers.com/bus1.htm ). The bus station in Playa is located at the corner of Ave. Benito Juarez and La Quinta Avenida (Fifth Ave.) and within two to three blocks of the Cozumel ferry dock. Fifth Ave. is the main street in Playa with all the shops and lots of restaurants. Sorry I can’t tell you where we eat. If I do, all of the tourist will start going there and the prices will go up.

Note: If you go one block west of Fifth Ave. and find a 7-11 type store you can buy a cold beer for half price. Suggestion: Bring a cozy to carry your beer in.

See map: http://www.travelyucatan.com/playa_del_carmen_mexico_map.php . Click on the bus and you will see a picture of the bus station.

I always suggest that if someone is going to downtown Cancun (El Centro de Cancun) that they go to the front desk at their Royal Resort and ask the guy for a map of downtown and to show them where the place is that they plan to go.

Buena Suerte! (Good Luck!)