• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

X husband filed bankruptcy & didn't pay the maintenance fee's

JFST

Reaction score
Has anyone had this experience? My X-spouse was awarded the timeshare that we owned when we were married over six years ago in our divorce decree. I have found out that he has not been paying the Maintenance Fee's and he now owe's about $4000 to the timeshare. Now he has filed Bankruptcy chapter 13. I am concerned that because of the Bankruptcy that he will get off the hook but the time share will come after me because my name was never taken off the deed. If you have had this expericence could you please tell me what your outcome was or how best to deal with this? If there are any attorney's out there I would be very interested in your comments.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have the final decree that says that the ex is awarded the TS solely and separately? If so, and a legal description of the property was included, you can probably record it in the county under just his name.

Is the note paid off, and this is just MF? If so, you might get away with showing the resort/collector that he was awarded the TS, and they might just go away. They might even try to ding your credit, but you can challenge that.

In either situation, opinion from here, masquerading as legal advice, no matter how well intentioned, is a poor substitute for competent legal counsel. You probably need some.

Jim

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my divorce each of our attorneys insisted that proof be supplied to them all re-deeding and re-titling was properly done.

If Court ordered probably could get contempt order.

It would appear TS is innocent party and could go after you.

Have you talked with your attorney? I would think (s)he is in best position to advise you.

Not an attorney.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to rectify the deed oversight immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The devil is always in the details...

I am concerned that because of the Bankruptcy he will get off the hook but the time share will come after me because my name was never taken off the deed.

Your concern may be well founded; the resort likely has (if not, can easily obtain) a copy of the current deed, on which your name surely appears as the co-owner.

A new deed (without your name on it) should have been prepared and recorded (with a copy sent to the resort) in the course of wrapping up the divorce details.
Someone evidently "dropped the ball" there. If it had been a home and not just a timeshare, a new deed would certainly have been prepared and recorded pronto.

Frankly, I think that you should very promptly seek legal counsel in the specific state in which you were divorced. I would recommend doing so sooner rather than later, in order to to actively and energetically pursue a suitable remedy here --- before it gets to be even more of a mess and more complicated to fix.

P.S. If you were represented by counsel in your divorce proceedings, I would respectfully suggest first contacting that very same attorney.
Not throwing stones, but that office may well be exactly where (and by whom) the new deed "ball" got dropped in the first place. :shrug:

Last edited:

persia

Reaction score
Yes, what everyone has said, the timeshare company may come after you. There is no way of knowing so you need to get your divorce papers in order in case they do. Changing the deed at this point would likely guarantee the timeshare company will come after you. You need to seek advice from your family solicitor. As the Boy Scouts say, "Be prepared."

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you were represented by an attorney when you were divorced, I'd call him/her and tell him/her something has come up and you need proof that Week was deeded to your ex. Play dumb. Tell him/her you may have misplaced the documentation. If he/she comes back and says it wasn't done, I'd tell him/her it should have been and you would like him/her to get it done. Then play it by ear!!

George