• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No luck on DC Points.....best plan B?

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am making a seperate thread for this; I'd hidden it in a different one.

I attempted to book 5 nights for Paris at 10 months with no luck.
I have the dates reserved via the MOD rate and also as a MR Points reservation, so we are covered. I hoped to use points for 3 midweek nights and pay the MOD rate over the weekend.

Here is a question for the many experts here. Which is the better option:

1) MOD rate is 824.50 euros (so about $1100) OR

2) 170,000 MR Points

You are a group who would be well versed in the travel opportunities of the 170K points. So better to just use them, or save them for something down the road.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Have you looked at the 5 night travel packages? Not sure if you have more points in your MR account than the 170K, but if you do, you might want to ponder a 5 night MVC owners travel package and get some FF airline miles as part of it. And if you have to either use MR points or cash, you might just ponder a hotel option right in Paris. Just spit balling ideas.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at the hotels in the city; very very expensive. I'm not sure if we will be a group of 4,5 or even 6. I'm sure at least one could hold 4. Otherwise 2 rooms.

The 170K points are an odd number. I think the 5 night package was 180K with 100K miles but the villa requires 2 upgrades a night so I'd need another 50k on top of that. I wasn't sure I'd have the 50 but I actually do. So converting the point allocation is a possibility.

I love the ideas; please keep them coming. I don't have much faith in the wait list.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
The timeshare is what I have the reservations on hold for right now. I just can't in on the DC points, but can either pay the cash rate or use my Marriott Reward points.

For those that have stayed in the villas, do we need to rent a car? I'd like to use the trains, but not sure we can get to a train heading into the city without a car.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The timeshare is what I have the reservations on hold for right now. I just can't in on the DC points, but can either pay the cash rate or use my Marriott Reward points.

For those that have stayed in the villas, do we need to rent a car? I'd like to use the trains, but not sure we can get to a train heading into the city without a car.
You certainly can survive without a car, if your primary objective is to spend time in the city or at Eurodisney.
There is a regular shuttle from the resort to the train station.
To visit many of the interesting places outside of the city, you really do need a car though.
The shuttle/train is fine for one or two trips into Central Paris. Any more and I believe it could become rather a chore and quite time consuming.
We have both stayed in the centre without a car (obviously) and and at the resort with a car.
Both were good, but personally if my priority was to spend a fair chunk of time in the city I would without any doubt choose to stay in the city.

SWichma

Reaction score
I am making a seperate thread for this; I'd hidden it in a different one.

I attempted to book 5 nights for Paris at 10 months with no luck.
I have the dates reserved via the MOD rate and also as a MR Points reservation, so we are covered. I hoped to use points for 3 midweek nights and pay the MOD rate over the weekend.

Here is a question for the many experts here. Which is the better option:

1) MOD rate is 824.50 euros (so about $1100) OR

2) 170,000 MR Points

You are a group who would be well versed in the travel opportunities of the 170K points. So better to just use them, or save them for something down the road.

I would try to get on a wait list. We went to France last summer and got the reservation by getting on a wait list. They will close the wait list if they don't think they will be able to honor it, I found this out because I wanted I decided I wanted to add another week to our request be the list was closed. Our was reservation was filled pretty quickly, I want to say in 2 weeks The destination club points are actually pretty reasonable for that property so I would say that is the most cost effective way to go.

I do find the rewards points to be a good value any where the exchange rate is not favorable. None of the Paris hotels will let you use points for a room with more then 2 people so with large groups it is very expensive to stay at a Marriott in Downtown Paris. We did, however, get two rooms on MRP when on the Champs Elysees each room would have cost use $1,100 a night if we had paid. The most effective way to use your points, unless you have a ton of air miles it the vacation packages. I would try to save them for that if you can.

If you do go the route of the wait list I would keep your other reservation ( or both if you can't decided be between the two yet) until you destination club res comes through and then cancel the ones you no longer need.