• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Really?

Not really, though one object of the trip is to tour some of them. I've stayed in lots of timeshares that would impress my friend. And in others that wouldn't but were satisfactory to be where we wanted to be. And in one where I stayed one night and left.

A request with RCI came through with a week in June at Onshore. We're really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. Keep 'em coming!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I understand what Glynda means. True - you are going away to experience a destination. But, the point of a timeshare is to have a really nice unit with all the comforts of home and then some - something different from just a hotel room. In a place like Newport, with all it's wealth and charm, you would expect that the resorts would have the same feel to them and would be at the very least Gold Crown. Why own a timeshare then? You might as well stay in a nice hotel. When I go away to a resort - I expect it to be really nice. I am not looking to stay in a tired, worn out place. I am on vacation and pay a lot of money year after year for maintenance fees and expect a nice accommodation - period. When I get back each day from exploring the surrounding area, I want to relax and be comfortable in a nice unit. I want to be able to use decent facilities - like a pool and gym, etc. I expect an internet connection. That is why I do not stay in motels or go camping. That is why I bought a timeshare!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks!

I understand what Glynda means. True - you are going away to experience a destination. But, the point of a timeshare is to have a really nice unit with all the comforts of home and then some - something different from just a hotel room. In a place like Newport, with all it's wealth and charm, you would expect that the resorts would have the same feel to them and would be at the very least Gold Crown. Why own a timeshare then? You might as well stay in a nice hotel. When I go away to a resort - I expect it to be really nice. I am not looking to stay in a tired, worn out place. I am on vacation and pay a lot of money year after year for maintenance fees and expect a nice accommodation - period. When I get back each day from exploring the surrounding area, I want to relax and be comfortable in a nice unit. I want to be able to use decent facilities - like a pool and gym, etc. I expect an internet connection. That is why I do not stay in motels or go camping. That is why I bought a timeshare!

Thank you and well said.

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great side trip

Hi Glynda,

Another great side trip would be to drive to Providence and visit the Brown University and Rhode Island School of Design campuses on College Hill. In June, school will be out and the Brown campus, and the Rhode Island School of Design with its world class museum, and Benefit Street right by them both will be uncrowded and beautiful. Also, if you go on Saturday, you might be able to catch Waterfire on the River right below College Hill. It is a wonderful art and music display that happens many weekends every summer.

Enjoy the Ocean State!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a great time at the Topiary Gardens which are part of the Newport Preservation society propertiess. They are in Middleton. The resort gave us a list of special deals at restaurants and some were exceptional. The Atlantic Beach Restaurant just over the bridge taking Memorial out of downtown Newport about 5 minutes away had a fantastic early bird special, around 10. There was a restaurant on Memorial, Italian, had 2 for $16 Mon thru Wed and the food was excellent. Also, enjoyed the Panini Grill for lunch and there is a Panera Bread I think it is near where ou are staying.

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
Great place.

Unfortunately it is very pricey

compared to what :confused:

lunch mains from $15

2 course lunch for $19 >
native littlenecks ($14) + scottish salmon ($25) = ($39) = $20 savings

its a plus that the restaurant is one of the best in newport, but the property and views are the point

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
We had an excellent time at Long Wharf.

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort gave us a list of special deals at restaurants and some were exceptional. The Atlantic Beach Restaurant just over the bridge taking Memorial out of downtown Newport about 5 minutes away had a fantastic early bird special, around 10. There was a restaurant on Memorial, Italian, had 2 for $16 Mon thru Wed and the food was excellent. Also, enjoyed the Panini Grill for lunch and there is a Panera Bread I think it is near where ou are staying.

We'll be staying at Newport Onshore too and DD and her family are joining us. Thanks for the restaurant tips, rapmarks.

Sullco2

Reaction score
One more point about Doris Duke

Okay, more than one.

She funded the restoration and repainting of the working folks' homes in the Point neighborhood of Newport. Just across from Goat Island where the Hyatt Regency is. This is another charming part of town.

She also was married briefly to Porfirio Rubirosa, a "playboy" polo player and race car driver from the Dominican Republic who was notorious for romancing Hollywood stars, etc. At the risk of getting barred from this website, I must tell you that he was also known for being very well endowed. In fact, in the Dominican Republic, when waiters arrive at your table with a large pepper mill in hand, they refer to it as the Rubirosa."

I find this hilarious--I hope you do to. And when you visit Rough Point, keep this story in mind. Timeshare is so educational.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
we enjoyed the tour of Rough POint. what I thought was neat, after hearing about houses that had dining tables that sat 120 people at one table, to see her ding room that sat 8 people.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Glynda would like to stay in one of the mansions. Not a TS. It sure would impress her friend.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh. Glynda, this isn't Branson:D

I know you will have a wonderful time there.

Hugs, Shaggy

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Branson

I'm sorry but I had to laugh. Glynda, this isn't Branson:D

I know you will have a wonderful time there.

Hugs, Shaggy

Shaggy, I loved our timeshare cottage at Big Cedar in Branson! But, as you know, I hated Branson itself. I'd go back to Big Cedar to sit in front of a roaring fire nestled in with a good book and my computer any rainy cold day! My friend would be impressed with Big Cedar as well. Who knows, she might even like Branson.

I don't know where the poster got the idea that a timeshare would have to be a "mansion" to impress me or my friend and I thought the comment rather insulting but hey, it's a public message board and you get all kinds.

I'm looking forward to Newport. Where are you off to next?

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the waterfire in Providence, RI. It's approx. a 20 minute drive from Newport. http://waterfire.org. We reserved a gondola online ahead of time and it was beautiful...

A few restaurant suggestions:
www.brickalley.com - pub - great for lunch - extensive menu
mama luisa - italian
Cafe Zelda

danrucker3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love Newport

My family looooovves Newport. We recently stayed at the Newport Bay Club and Hotel. It was nice, nothing real great by itself, but the location is superb. I think (I know others will think differently) that NBC&H has probably the best location in Newport.

- It is centrally located right on Thames, easy stroll to quaint cafe's for breakfast, and good eats at night.

We really enjoyed out stay there, but I plan on staying at another timeshare next time, there are a lot to choose from there.

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at several hotels and timeshares in Newport, and I agree the
Newport Bay Club has the best location. The rooms are more outdated than some; and there isn't the amenities found in some of the other resorts, but you can park your car and walk to several bars, restaurants and shops. You are in the middle of everything except of course the mansions. We also love Newport and visit there at least once a year. We will be back the week of Labor day, and I can't wait. Sue

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also love Newport. We've stayed at the Inn on Longport and the Newport Bay Club. We'll be at Newport Onshore in the next few weeks and I can't wait as my daughter and her family will be staying with us and we don't get to see them as often as we'd like.

This is off-subject but may be helpful to some of you.The pet-friendly Howard Johnson's in Middletown (very close to Newport) is a more than acceptable place to stay. The staff is great, the rooms are clean, the furniture is fine, and the price is cheap off-season and discounted for last-minute stays all through the year. Next Christmas, we'll be staying there so we can bring our labradoodle. Check gonewport dot com if interested.