• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Mountain Vista & Lakeside Terrace

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Is there some literature on these two properties and the differences? Is one older than the other? More family oriented? I've never been to Avon/Vail before, but was just browsing the SVN resorts for future planning. Any help would be appreciated!

smsavage

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem in deciding which resort to book for our trip this coming June. I couldn't find anything to distinguish between them. Ultimately I relied on the TUG reviews (showing SMV as the higher rated of the two) to make my decision.

Make sure to take a look at the posting by Topeka Tom for stuff to do in and around Vail. This is better than a AAA guide book.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28182&highlight=things+vail

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
the smv is a few years newer and is all 2 br lock offs. LAkeside terrace is regular 2brs withouth the lock off. Smv is interior entry and a mid rise- i think 8 stories. lAkeside terrace is outside entry and i think 2 story buildings spread out. those would be the big differences.

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also I do not believe that lakeside terrace has their own pool, but uses the one at SMV. Smv has a decent szed pool with hot tubs and also has 2 nice rooftop hot tubs one indoor and one outdoor. Smv has underground parking and I believe lakeside terrace is all outdoor.

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also I do not believe that lakeside terrace has their own pool, but uses the one at SMV.... Smv has underground parking and I believe lakeside terrace is all outdoor.

When we stayed at Lakeside Terrace we had complimentary use of the Avon Rec Center which has a lap pool, childrens pool, lazy river, jacuzzi and large indoor slide. It also has weights and aerobics.

Lakeside Terrace has underground parking, which was greatly appreciated when we stayed there in January 2004.

Jerry

derb

TUG Member
Reaction score
BEWARE: Construction noise at Sheraton until around sept as they install/change air conditioning. Use of jack hammers.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
You did not mention when you would be going, but you would NOT want 3 childeren at Mountain Vista in a one bedroom. You would HAVE to get a 2 bedroom. Even the premium one bedroom is kind of small with hardly any storage space. So, that may help make your decison. We stayed at Mountain Vista in March 2006 and it was getting a little worn. So, I would not consider age of properties at this point. I like the layout of Lakeside better the Mountain Vista. The two bedrooms at MV are lock outs, plus with Lakeside the use of the Avon rec center would give your kids lots of fun things to do.

One word of caution - if you stay at Mountain Vista be sure your room does not face 1-70. It is VERY loud at all hours, ask for the back side of the hotel, even if it is a corner room. Either property will be nice, there is also construciton of the Avon Gondola - which is fairly close to the Mountain Vista. You could call the hotel or check the Vail web site to see when this will be completed. Bascially either one will work, as long as it is a 2 bedroom.

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to double check the accesibility of the rec center at avon as I thought that was for a limited time while they were redoing the pool at mtn vista that lakeside terrace also has access to.... IMO the small one bedroom at mtn vista is only small if you are comparing it to a 1 bedroom, compared to a studio (which is what it really is) it is very nice having 540 sq feet and the ability to have privacy with the door to the room in the smaller ide of a 2br. I agree that three kids in a one bedroom of any timeshare would probably be cramped....that is the boat we are in now too, and on the one hand it seems cramped, at least until I look back on my folks cramming me and my 2 sisters into one room at a Best Western year after year.:D

divenski

TUG Member
Reaction score
On another note, how close is SMV to ski areas such as Beaver Creek or Vail? Is it considered a ski-in/ski-out property? If not, how convenient is it for skiing? I could have traded into it this year, but decided to go to Marriott Breckenridge instead.

Also, someone mentioned that the property looked a bit worn in March, 2006. Any known plans for repairs, etc?

Last but not least, how many StarOptions are needed for a 1 bedroom for a week during ski season?

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was there last month and I would not refer to it as "worn". It is no longer brand new, but it still feels newer/nicer than the vast majority of five star resorts that I have seen. It is very possible in any resort to get a room that has been roughed up a bit and is in need of attention, but I have not been or heard of any SVN resort where room quality/ wear and tear are normally a concern as they seem to keep very high standards. SMV is not ski in ski out, but there is a convenient shuttle to Beaver creek and vail which are both close. they are building a gondola to beaver creek about 150 yards from the resort which will make it even more convenient. A larger 1br during ski season is 81000 options and a smaller 1 bedroom is 67100 options in ski season

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt
We stayed at Mountain Vista when it was only one year old. We were there again this March and we could tell the difference. It was still a nice property, but they had some serious issues with the hot tub on the 7th floor and mold on the walls. To me that is a problem, I am sure they have gotten this fixed by now - but I just did not want the person asking the question to go to MV just because it is newer. I disagree with the one bedroom not being small, we have stayed both times in the larger one bedroom with just 2 adults and a small child. Both times it felt cramped with the us and the child. Perhaps we have just gotten spoiled with large 2 bedroom units. We would go back to MV, it is a nice property - but I think I prefer Lakeside for a couple reasons. MV is nice location as long as you can get a back facing room, the 1-70 noise is not MV's fault and is an issue with many Vail/Avon resorts. Just something nice to know about before you go. I would take either property, the Gondola will make the Beaver Creek situation much better!