• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What if I can't use my SVN exchange?

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are still trying to decide if Starwood is right for us (we are almost sure it is) and whether to buy annual or eoy. I was wondering what our options are if we do an internal exchange to another SVN resort and then are unable to use the exchanged week. Are we allowed to rent out the week even though it is not our home resort? Can we deposite with II? I know Starwood picks the week and that is fine with us, but I thought I read somewhere that you can't deposite a week that isn't from your home resort.

Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can't deposit an exchange week with II.

You can return the week to Starwood, with some major restrictions.

A while back we debated whether you can rent an exchange week or not and I think the concensus was that it is against the rules, but some people are doing it.

With any exchange/timeshare, not just Starwood, changing your mind after you've made an exchange is problamatic. For timesharing to work for you, you have to be able to commit to a vacation at 12 to 8 mos. out. I know that's difficult for many people because of work schedules and other commitments, so it is a big factor to look at when you are considering buying a timeshare.

You are smart to be doing your homework before you buy.

Reservations Cancellation Policy

Reservations may be cancelled within 24 hours of making the reservation request without incurring the cancellation fee of $29, unless the reservation was made less than 30 days prior to the check-in day.

Cancellations or changes in reservations made more than 60 days prior to the check-in day will result in unrestricted restoration of the related StarOptions to your account for further use during that Use Year, although your related Home Resort Preference Period rights will not be restored.

If you cancel 60 days or less prior to the check-in day, you will still be able to make reservations during that Use Year, but only to reserve a vacation that is within 60 days of the arrival date.

If you fail to arrive on your reserved check-in day without notifying Owner Services, you will lose all the StarOptions associated with your reservation. Be sure to let Owner Services know if there is a problem prior to your check-in date.

If an owner is holding an existing reservation and wishes to cancel that reservation and convert to Starpoints, they must do so at least 60 days prior to the arrival date of the existing reservation.

Last edited:

djp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise,
I remember the debate but thought the consensus was that it was not against the rules. Am I confused?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
See this thread for a brief discussion about Staroption weeks:

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486&highlight=rent

Post #4.

In general, your best option would be to try and change the dates or go somewhere else ($29 change fee applies), or let a friend or family member use the week. Hopefully you will be able to plan in advance and use your week yourself! Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise,
I remember the debate but thought the consensus was that it was not against the rules. Am I confused?

I guess it's depends on how you interpret the rules. I took the following to mean you could rent out your own week, but not a Staroption week. I think there was another post somewhere that spelled it out a little more. I'll look.

Q: I made a reservation to travel to a different Starwood Vacation Network Resort than I own and then found out I won't be able to use that vacation week. Can I place that week into the Owner Rental Program?

A: No, Owners may only place weekly intervals at their Home Resort into the Owner Rental Program. Owners may not place a confirmed week at another Starwood Vacation Network Resort into the program. For example, if you own at Sheraton Vistana Villages but you used StarOptions to travel to Sheraton Mountain Vista and are unable to use that week, you could not place the Sheraton Mountain Vista week into the Owner Rental Program.

As an Owner, you have a few other choices to consider if you cannot use your weekly interval:

* Allow another family member or friend to use your weekly interval.
* Reserve a different time that will work with your schedule.
* Deposit your weekly interval with an external exchange company so you can carry it forward into the next year.
* Rent the weekly interval on your own.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the post I was referring to:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16640&highlight=rent

According to the SVN Disclosure Guide:

"Rental by a Club Member of Units reserved through the Club or the Network (other than a Vacation Period reserved at the Network Member's Home Resort) is prohibited."

and

"With the exception of Vacation Periods reserved at the Home Resort, Network Members are prohibited from renting to a third party any accommodation reserved through the Network's exchange program, including accommodations of the External Exchange Program."

nell

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an Owner, you have a few other choices to consider if you cannot use your weekly interval:

* Allow another family member or friend to use your weekly interval.
* Reserve a different time that will work with your schedule.
* Deposit your weekly interval with an external exchange company so you can carry it forward into the next year.
* Rent the weekly interval on your own.[/b]

I still a little confused. Is this saying that you can deposit a week through staroptions into II or just your home resort?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the last two posts it seems Starwood is contradicting itself. The first post says you can:

You just can't put it in the Owner Rental Program which is the one where Starwood rents out your week and keeps half of the proceeds (after deducting fees and commissions to others).

The second post clearly says you can't rent to third parties once you've made an exchange through the network.

I guess even Starwood has conflicting answers in their written documentation. I would think the disclosure carries more weight than an FAQ. However, has anyone called owner services to see what they say?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I still a little confused. Is this saying that you can deposit a week through staroptions into II or just your home resort?

Only your home resort.

From my owner's guide:

9. An SVN member may not utilize StarOptions to make a reservation through the External Exchange company.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Based on the last two posts it seems Starwood is contradicting itself. The first post says you can:

You just can't put it in the Owner Rental Program which is the one where Starwood rents out your week and keeps half of the proceeds (after deducting fees and commissions to others).

The second post clearly says you can't rent to third parties once you've made an exchange through the network.

I guess even Starwood has conflicting answers in their written documentation. I would think the disclosure carries more weight than an FAQ. However, has anyone called owner services to see what they say?

As I interpret it, the FAQ is referring to your owned week - not a Staroption week.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
When this first came up, I called Starwood and asked if it is allowed to rent out an internal exchange (i.e., a week I reserved using StarOptions at a resort I do not own). They said, no problemo.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I interpret it, the FAQ is referring to your owned week - not a Staroption week.

Yes but that quote is part of the answer related to:

I made a reservation to travel to a different Starwood Vacation Network Resort than I own and then found out I won't be able to use that vacation week.

To me that means it refers to the Staroption week.

Anyhow, what customer service says is what counts.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyhow, what customer service says is what counts.

Really? You would accept what someone said over the phone when it contradicts written Starwood policy? My guess is that the policy is that you cannot rent exchange weeks, but Starwood is just looking the other way.....as long as it suites them. :D

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Touché. You're right. :D

In this case SW has two separate documents contradicting each other but the disclaimer in a contract has more weight than an FAQ.

I don't think they can do anything about you privately renting your week, but I don't know if there is any way to deposit it into II. I suppose you could restore your StaOptions as described above and then do an II exchange. I would still talk to owner services and find out. The answer there is probably as good as our speculation here, unless someone with actual experience chimes in. :)

kalie12

Reaction score
Response on SVO

To answer your question about renting your week(s). You can rent out your week through the company, but only from your home resort. Lets say you make a reservation to go to a sister resort in the SVN and you do not wish to use it, you can rent it out on your own and charge what you want. All you have to do is contact Owner Services to change the reservation out of your name to the "renters" name.

When you deposit a week into II, you can rent that out as well, but if you are making an exchange to anyplace but your home resort II will require that you purchase a Guest Certificate. It runs around $49 or so. Once that is purchased you will give II the name of the "renter."

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge

ladycody

TUG Member
Reaction score
Neither II nor RCI allow exchangers to rent exchange units. Some people do...but it's extremely risky because if the exchange companies do catch wind of it (and it seems they find out more frequently than one might think)...the reservation will be cancelled and your "renter" will show up to a resort with nowhere to go...and they will NOT be happy.:p

Bill4728

Reaction score
When you deposit a week into II, you can rent that out as well, but if you are making an exchange to anyplace but your home resort II will require that you purchase a Guest Certificate. It runs around $49 or so. Once that is purchased you will give II the name of the "renter."

When you say you can rent a week gotten from an exchange with II. What that means is that a family member or friend may use that week. If that family member or friend give you something to cover your costs thats OK. BUT if you advertise the exchange unit to the general public for rent, you may be caught and the reservation will be cancelled.