• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

solara Surfside

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a one bedroom on hold for Nov 2013. Just read the reviews, I gather the one bedrooms do not see the beach, the beach is very narrow, the furnishings are tired, and it is not close enough to walk to restaurants.
I thought this would be a good catch, so i am asking opinions of anyone who has stayed there.

geekette

Reaction score
I love this resort.

have stayed in a 1-br and can get an oceanview from teh balcony. Best is that I can stumble out of the resort and onto sand.

It's been a few years so I'm not the best authority on the state of the furnishings - it was clean and comfy and not tired-looking. If you hate art deco, stay away. The one bedroom had 2 bathrooms and a giant closet. Was a large unit compared to 1 brs elsewhere.

"Narrow" beach? nothing about the beach struck me as odd so not sure what that means.

Not much in walking distance. Again, it has been a few years, I do not know what may have changed.

If you are looking to be in the action this isn't it. But I recall enjoying the small hot tub a lot, loved the beach, awesome staff, enjoyed valet parking.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
we aren't looking for action, in fact we are intimidated by the traffic in Miaimi. We would like to see some of the sites in the area, and enjoy the beach, so it sounds fine. wish I could get a two bedroom to have family too.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Pat, Solara is a great little resort. Very little exchange activity. I'd take it if I were you. The area is quiet. None of that South beach craziness. It's actually located in a residential area of the beach called Surfside.

It's not tired but some rooms have a humidity problem. I think it's mostly the Studio/Junior 1 bedrooms with the issue since there is no balcony. I've stayed in the Junior 1 bedroom and the full 1 bedroom and have seen a friends 2 bedroom oceanfront.

The Junior 1 bedrooms do not have balconies. The full 1 bedrooms do have a balcony and a partial view of the Intracoastal as well as the ocean. It's very breezy in that area so it's nice to enjoy the balcony.

The 2 bedrooms that face the beach are awesome but I doubt you'll see it deposited. I've been trying to get one for a while with no luck. I have just traded with a BG owner to get in there. Much easier. ;)

The resort has a concierge, valet parking, a hot tub, hammocks, BBQ's, volleyball and a beach cabana boy to put up your free beach chairs. Each unit gets two free chairs a day.

You will probably need a car to stay in this area. I think the valet is around $3 a day, maybe $5. I think they had two prices. One for owners and another for exchangers/renters. I always have a car so really can't speak to the public transport issues there but the beach does have some free buses.

There isn't alot of pressure to do the "update" which is nice. If you do it they give you some gift card or something. I didn't want to do it so didn't really pay much attention. I did see several people walking around with the sales people during my stay.

I think you will like it there. :)

vettebuf

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved our stay at Solara Surfside. We're an older couple and, although we had a rental car, we walked to the town several times on Collins and Harding. Flanagan's was a good casual restaurant. My favorite place in town though is Publix. They have good take-out an a delicious bakery items.

I've been trying to get another exchange there for a few years but my Shawnee TPU's aren't high enough. Hmm, maybe I should try to exchange my Shawnee ski week directly with a BG owner.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
going to confirm it, sounds good