• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finn Law Group & Help For TS Owners

Squire3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anybody worked with either of these 2 firms? If yes, what was your experience with them?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anybody worked with either of these 2 firms? If yes, what was your experience with them?

Have you used the "Search" function to find threads about these groups?

What are you hoping to accomplish by using either of these two firms? What are the terms of their offer(s)?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
From the Finn Law Group Website:

Once you retain our firm, our legal staff will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your case as well as construct an appropriate engagement letter based on the specific information you provide to us.

Translation: They are going to charge you a stiff fee to send a form letter to the management company/HOA and ask them to let you out of your contract.

Go see a local attorney - he can write a letter on letterhead for you for $100 or less - with the same (nil) results.

From the Better Business Bureau website:

Additional Notes - Finn Law Group

Complaint Category: None of the Above - Contract Complaint Issue

Complaint: firm sent me a contract, contacted them back with questions, they started calling me names and insulting me and my carreer, I then cancelled initiated contact with the firm regarding cacellation of timeshare, they requested 4500$ upfront to start working on the case with 550$ down, I paid the money down and then they send me contract that contained a lot of contradictions to the phone conversation with the paralegal earlier. the issue was multiple extra costs and no protection against judiciary foreclosure and credit protection. when I called to question further and reuest a written clarification, he called me "pain in the ****" and a waste of his time and a "horrible surgeon", and either I go ahead and just sign or he will refund the money back as he has no time for me, so I cancelled the contract. this is a complaint about unprofessional behavior and failure to answer questions especially when the cost is 4500$

Last edited:

foredogg

Reaction score
From the Finn Law Group Website:

Translation: They are going to charge you a stiff fee to send a form letter to the management company/HOA and ask them to let you out of your contract.

Go see a local attorney - he can write a letter on letterhead for you for $100 or less - with the same (nil) results.

From the Better Business Bureau website:

I just had a conversation with their PA and he said the flat fee is $6300 for HGVC members. I'm not sure if the price is higher because they are dealing with a larger corporation such as HGVC or they raised their fees? He also mentioned a 6 payment option but that price is higher or pay their hourly rate at $350/hr. He said, however, that they will guarantee to get me out of the contract/deed and I will walk away without owing any more $$ on the HGVC balance. He also mentioned they will also try to recover any HGVC money you paid during ownership but that he said is usually 99% no and in negotiations HGVC will forgive what is owed and take back the deed.

Has anyone else used them and can share their experience? Are these guys scammers or legit? This sounds too good to be true, albeit the stiff $6300 price, but if they can get you out and not owe anything, the fee is worth it as that is just 3 yrs worth of HGVC maintenance fees. My concern is that they are just another scam company doing business in Florida and I will be out another $6300 + stuck with HGVC unit.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
what steps have you taken to give this unit away sofar?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
foredogg - Did you read post #3?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are I think real lawyers. and like most lawyers you might hire, they are expensive and they offer no guarantees. Whether they can make good on their guarantee is the big question

press release

website

foredogg

Reaction score
foredogg - Did you read post #3?

Hi, yes I read your post and I checked out the Florida BBB site. It appears the issue has been resolved so it seems Finn Law worked out something with the customer who said he would update his review but so far has not. The reason I am asking is that I have seen other good reviews on lawyers.com but I wanted to get other opinions as well if anyone has used Finn Law before.

http://www.lawyers.com/largo/florida/Finn-Law-Group-157055517-f/

Thanks!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Last edited:

foredogg

Reaction score
what steps have you taken to give this unit away sofar?

I tried asking HGVC to buy it back but I get the run-around and no one has called back. When we purchased we were told the value would go up and it's an investment but as anyone can see you can buy the same 2/2 unit I have for a fraction of the cost from other sellers. I have not tried to sell it via Redweek because we are upside down on it, hence why the Finn Law group option looked so attractive. If they are legit, I guess the fee is worth it compared to my balance.

Our fault for walking into it eyes wide open but didn't do the research but how can you when they put the pressure and time sensitive stamp on it when you're on vacation there! ;)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if you are upside down on your payments, you cant sell it to anyone anyway....nor is anyone going to be able to "get you out of it". If its a mortgage you financed, you might not even owe HGVC that money, but instead a 3rd party lender.

How can you be upside down on it, but have $6000 dollars to give away to an upfront fee company?

How can you have never attempted to sell or even give away your timeshare, but be on the fence about giving a random entity more than $6000 dollars to rid yourself of it? wouldnt it be easier to pay that money towards what you owe and give the timeshare away to a willing owner?

inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:

foredogg

Reaction score

foredogg

Reaction score
if you are upside down on your payments, you cant sell it to anyone anyway....nor is anyone going to be able to "get you out of it". If its a mortgage you financed, you might not even owe HGVC that money, but instead a 3rd party lender.

How can you be upside down on it, but have $6000 dollars to give away to an upfront fee company?

How can you have never attempted to sell or even give away your timeshare, but be on the fence about giving a random entity more than $6000 dollars to rid yourself of it? wouldnt it be easier to pay that money towards what you owe and give the timeshare away to a willing owner?

What I meant by upside down on it is that the balance owed is much much more than what the HGVC unit is selling for on Redweek. I'm not saying we are financially strapped by it, I'm just saying that I would rather pay 6K than my balance owed and be free of it. :)

foredogg

Reaction score

Even if I paid the 6K toward the balance I'd still be in the hole for so much more so that is not an option unless we decide to keep it.

If anyone is willing to take over my payments they can have that timeshare for FREE! :) Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with timeshares. I just don't think it's for me as the money we pay in maintenance each year can easily pay for a good part of a hotel at our HGVC location and we'd have the liberty to select a different hotel each time. Plus HGVC has become more restrictive on their point conversion rules over the last couple of years which was one of reasons we purchased in the first place.

foredogg

Reaction score
I forgot to add, it was financed through HGVC themselves but you're right it could be a 3rd party that I am not aware of as the payments go to HGVC.

Also from what I was told by Finn Law, the HGVC unit share would just go back into their inventory and get resold for another $$$ so whatever the balance is, it's just a wash for HGVC because they already have the thousands of $$ that we already paid + maintenance fees and taxes and they will resell it. Does that sound right?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
it sounds similar to something id tell you if I wanted you to pay me $6000 right now.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add, it was financed through HGVC themselves but you're right it could be a 3rd party that I am not aware of as the payments go to HGVC.

Also from what I was told by Finn Law, the HGVC unit share would just go back into their inventory and get resold for another $$$ so whatever the balance is, it's just a wash for HGVC because they already have the thousands of $$ that we already paid + maintenance fees and taxes and they will resell it. Does that sound right?

The issue is as you have listed in the first paragraph, i.e., if the loan was sold to a 3rd party, it means that if HGVC takes back the ts from you, they will need to repay your loan to the 3rd party. Why would they do that? :doh:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
And there is the chance that you pay them the $6000, they can't get you out of your contract with Hilton and there was something in their contract that you missed (a loop hole) and now you are out another $6000 and still own and owe on the original TS.

Next another company will come along claiming they can help you recover the money you spent to get out of the timeshare. They just need another upfront fee but they guarantee if they can't get your money back they will refund what you paid to them.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lawyer licensure is on a state by state basis. Does Finn Law Group have lawyers licensed in the state where the timeshare is located? If not, they are not going to be able to help you. If you do not know, check their list of lawyers out with the State Bar of the state where the timeshare is located.

As a former timeshare HOA president, I can tell you that if we had received a horsey letter from an out of state lawyer not licensed to practice in North Carolina, we would have probably dealt with it by forwarding the letter to the NC State Bar's Unlicensed Practice of Law committee, with a copy to the State Bar in the lawyer's home state. Our HOA DID take deedbacks from members if they called and asked, but if some of these bottom feeders tried to force us, that was a different story.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lawyer licensure is on a state by state basis. Does Finn Law Group have lawyers licensed in the state where the timeshare is located? If not, they are not going to be able to help you. If you do not know, check their list of lawyers out with the State Bar of the state where the timeshare is located.

As a former timeshare HOA president, I can tell you that if we had received a horsey letter from an out of state lawyer not licensed to practice in North Carolina, we would have probably dealt with it by forwarding the letter to the NC State Bar's Unlicensed Practice of Law committee, with a copy to the State Bar in the lawyer's home state. Our HOA DID take deedbacks from members if they called and asked, but if some of these bottom feeders tried to force us, that was a different story.

It doesnt matter whare the timeshare is located. The OP isnt doing battle with a resort or the HOA. The question is Hilton doing business in Florida. and does Hilton hold the note.

My guess is that Hilton is a registered foreign corporation in Fla Finn is in Florida.

My guess is that Hilton does business like Wyndham. Wyndham doesnt sell their timeshare loans to a third party (actually they do but its a wholy owned subsidiary) What they sell are bonds secured by the notes, not the notes themselves.... and its a pretty good business, they charge their buyers 18% and pay their investors less than 3%

gotta say though I wouldnt higher a lawyer to do these negotiations for me...If I wanted to stop paying I would just stop.. Hilton will take it back..the process is called foreclosure. A lawyer may be able to negotiate a deed in lieu, either way it will be a matter of public record and picked up by the credit bureaus. The result will be a hit on your credit

Last edited:

2001Duramax

Reaction score
So did anyone figure out if these are good guys or bad guys I need help as well, thanks.:shrug:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So did anyone figure out if these are good guys or bad guys I need help as well, thanks.:shrug:

Go back and read the other posts in this thread - it's pretty clear...