• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto Vallarta - Lindo Mar or Vallarta Torre

Betty

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of staying at either of these resorts? Which would be the better choice?

We prefer smaller resorts with local character rather than big, contemporary style places. A nice clean unit with an ocean view would make it ideal.

Any other suggestions besides these two? Don't want all-inclusive.

Thanks,
Betty

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No expert here, but those are my type of resort- in fact I own a TPI managed one and have stayed several times at Torres Mazatlan, a similar resort in that city. I would have no qualms about either one. Torres is closer to town, though Lindo Mar is just at Conchas Chinas, not far out either. Check the reviews and/or flip a coin.

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lindo Mar for Local Character

Of the two we have only stayed at Lindo Mar so comparison is not possible. But, I believe all the rooms at Lindo Mar face out toward the Bay of Banderas and have great views. And I think Lindo Mar is closer to Downtown as it is about 1 mile south of Downtown proper while the Torres resort is up closer to the Airport near the Marina area. If you want local character, I would guess Lindo Mar is want you are looking for.

Betty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which has the nicer beach?

Have been reading that PV beaches are not the best for nice, fine sand or actually going in the water...but brown water? Yuck! We like taking a dip in the ocean now and then, and that scares me.

From the pictures I've seen, it appears that the Lindo Mar has a rocky landscape compared to Vallarta Torre and only one pool. Is that a major drawback to considering that one or actually a plus?

Also we understand about the nuisance of the beach vendors, because we experienced that in St. Maarten, although not to the degree that it appears to happen in PV.

I think we are leaning toward Vallarta Torre because of its proximity to the marina area, but would that actually make the ocean water less desirable? We are still hoping to hear about others' experiences with either one before deciding.

Thanks to those who have already commented. Really appreciate your input.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Betty, I'm confused. In your original post you state you want a small resort, then you complain that Lindo Mar only has one pool? Lindo Mar is a very small property, located right on the beach. Why would they need more than one pool?

From your second post I'd say avoid Lindo Mar. Too small and not near a busy spot like a marina. The rocky landscape that lend rise to the tide pools most find fascinating is evidently not what you're looking for either. I've never heard anyone complain of brown water at either location, but the Pacific coast beaches are not like the gulf side. Perhaps someone who has traveled more extensively than I can fill you in on the differences.

I don't have any familiarity with the other property you listed, so I'll let others address that as well.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You won't find a lot of people playing in the surf at either place- for that matter, on much of the Pacific coast. The water is just too cold for comfortable swimming without a wetsuit. It is not like the Gulf side. I have stayed at a property just S. of PV, and while a dip in the ocean was fine- not 'brown' by any means, but also not sugary white and fine sand either- the pool was a lot more pleasant for actual swimming.

I wouldn't worry much about vendors- they can't come onto the property. They ARE on the beach, as in Mexico, ALL beaches are public.

From what you've said, I think you might be happier at Lindo Mar. Smaller place, very Mexican 'feel'. Idea: Stay a week in each of them and report back :)

Jim

lamb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't stayed at the resort near the marina because I prefer Conchas Chinas to the marina or Nuevo Vallarta areas. I would personally choose Lindo Mar.

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Betty
The pool at Lindo Mar is small and the water seems to be cold much of the year. I loved the beach at Lindo Mar with the rock outcroppings. Spent some time snorkeling out past the rocks.
During the Summer and late into the Fall, the water temperature in the Bay is very warm. The water temperature often gets into the mid eighties. Like most bays the visibility near shore is not very good. To get good vis you would have to take a boat out toward the Pacific where the currents bring clear water. Several operators have day trips to the Marietta Islands for snorkeling and/or whale watching depending on the time of the year.
We did see vendors on the beach, but, they didn't bother us, in fact, we purchased a couple of items from them.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I've found the opposite to be true from Jim's statement that you need a wetsuit to swim in the Pacific. I'm in Mazatlan every July and the water is quite comfortable. I offer proof:

mazsmall.jpg

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found the opposite to be true from Jim's statement that you need a wetsuit to swim in the Pacific. I'm in Mazatlan every July and the water is quite comfortable.

We swim in Maz as well, but not as comfortably as in a heated pool, and of course in July, Aug or Sept, a cool dip can be a pretty welcome break from the heat and humidity- especially down PV way.

timesharejunkie4

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Lindo Mar and have a friend who owns at Vallarta Torre. Neither is a mega resort, Lindo Mar is probably a little smaller. Vallarta Torre has a bigger beach with no rocks, LM has a small rocky beach with snorkeling. I think VT's units are all oceanfront while I know all of LM units are. The water views at LM are prettier than those from VT. We had difficulty finding lounge space on the beach and by the pool at LM some of the time. The on site restaurant at LM is excellent with a great staff. I know nothing about the restaurant at VT. There isn't much to walk to in the area of LM while the cruise ship terminal, grocery store, flea market are all walkable and very close from VT. Further but still walkable is the marina with its restaurants, Walmart and Sam's Club, more shopping. Neither are close to town but both are easily accessible by taxi or the excellent bus system in PV. Both areas are great and have their advantages, hope these comparisons help. I will be in PV for my 30th year in November!

rifleman69

TUG Member
Reaction score
VT is what it is...a good small locally run resort (yes I know who owns it, I'm talking about the resort staff). Restaurant and bar are nice there and the beach is is pretty good for a PV beach.

nomadio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have been to PV in early January, mid April and late October and have never found the water to be cold, and I've never used a wetsuit. Love boogie boarding and body surfing in the bay. There are some areas in PV where the undertow can be quite strong, but I'm not sure about the areas in front of the 2 hotels you are considering. Enjoy your trip!

Betty

TUG Member
Reaction score
MAJOR CHANGE in plans - Going to Nuevo Vallarta instead

Looks like we may be going to Nuevo Vallarta instead of PV after all. We found out our friends live a lot closer to NV. They said Lindo Mar and Vallarta Torre are a lot farther from where they live.

They always said they lived in PV, so I assumed it was in the city of PV, and thus started looking at small resorts in that area.

From what little I've read, the resorts in Nuevo Vallarta seem to be much larger amd more contemporary and don't have that colorful, local flavor, so it appears we won't find anything like LM or VT there.

Our only experience with Mexico was in 2001 when we stayed at the Royal Mayan in Cancun. It was huge, but we had a wonderful time there, so I'm hoping we can have a similar experience in NV. We are looking at the Villa del Palmar Flamingos unless someone can suggest a better alternative.

I apologize to and thank all of you who responded about LM and VT. I'm going to miss going to either one, because they each sounded so nice. But one of the reasons we are going to Mexico is to spend time with our friends, so NV it is.

Thanks again,
Betty