• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hello my TUG friends

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted. I miss TUG a lot but when life circumstances make it impossible to travel, there is a little piece of me that broke off and it actually made me sad to post here.

My DH, Bruce, just completed his eighth Chemo session for Stage 4 Lung Cancer. I am telling everyone I know that has ever smoked to get a chest xray!!! He hadn't smoked in 40 years yet that didn't clear him of developing this cancer. It has metastasized and he may have a year to live if lucky.

We found out about this cancer while at a timeshare in Florida. Went to one of their meetings, he had some type of strange happening where he went stoic and did not respond to anyone/anything. I asked someone to call 911 and he was in the hospital for 4 days during which they found this cancer.

In addition to it, he has progressive dementia and life has been very difficult. Feel like I have an eight year old, have to watch him constantly, put out clothes to wear, his driver's license has been taken, he cannot remember much of anything anymore.

Ironically, the dementia has helped him thru the cancer. He does not remember why he gets the intravenous shots so he isn't worried, like I am.

So my TUG friends, that is why I have not posted. When I don't see the fun travels you all are taking -- I don't miss it quite so much. Take care. Cathy;)

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers extended. Yours is an extremely difficult journey and I sincerely hope that God helps you to find your way and some measure of peace while travelling along that long, painful and arduous path.

Last edited:

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this Cathy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Thanks for posting...that must have been hard to do.

susieq

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
I am so sorry for what mus be so difficult for you to go through ~ let alone share with us. Thoughts and prayers to you and yours. Take care of yourself ~ we're here if you need to talk.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Praying for you both.

Proudly sent by Samsung S4 & Tapatalk

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Thank you for posting, my wife and I will be praying for you both. I want to quote part of your post so it doesn't get lost in the gravity of your situation. We've had a discussion about smoking at resorts recently here on TUG.

I am telling everyone I know that has ever smoked to get a chest xray!!! He hadn't smoked in 40 years yet that didn't clear him of developing this cancer.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand what you mean by not wanting to post here. Sorry that you are going through such turmoil right now. I'm glad that his memory is at least keeping him from being too distraught. HUGS

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm sorry that you are having to go through this right now. It doesn't seem fair to deal with so many things at the same time. Prayers for you and your family.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this. I am praying for both of you and sending you a heartfelt hug.

Jestjoan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry. BIG TUG HUG.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Cathy, my heart goes out to you. In this case the ALZ has probably meant that he doesn't have to cope so much (but you do).

Suggest you get a book called "36 Hour day" which you can get online at Amazon or Half.com (used). It is very helpful for ALZ Caregivers. It is in a question and answer form, each question its own chapter, and most are a page or two, so you can jump around easily.

Take care, Sis.

Fern

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Cathy,

I'm so sorry to hear this -- prayers to you and your family in this difficult time, we will look forward to your return when the time is right.

Best,

Greg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, Cathy, we knew you'd hit a rough patch from your last few posts. My wife and I hope for your comfort and well being. May your husband find comfort, and you find peace in the knowledge that you have done your best.

We can't stop all the vacation talk while you are not able to go, but we can take a break and offer both of you {{{TUG HUGS}}}.

All the best, and we hold you in our hearts.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Tug friends are the best. Cathy, sending you many Tug Hugs at this difficult time.

Dave

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
:( Very sorry to read...hope things get better soon.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy, you all know how to make a grown woman cry! Thank you for all the prayers, TUG hugs and well wishes. Fern, I will buy that book!

Enjoy those vacations and get that chest xray if you ever smoked. God speed. Cathy

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Cathy,

You sure have had a lot to handle recently. Please know you have friends here and that we're all praying for you and Bruce.

Hugs,
Von

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cathy,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. This is a terrible time for both you and your husband. ALZ and cancer are terrible diseases. My heart, thoughts, love, and prayers go out to you both.

Jan

lamb

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick message offering support and well wishes. I hope that life offers those beautiful moments along the way in which you both can't help but smile and rejoice, even though faced with a difficult outcome. May memories of the wonderful travels together that you've shared help soften the pain of the journey ahead.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What a tough row to hoe. Our prayers and thoughts are with you Cathy.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Cathy,
I hope and pray you have a lot of support as I am sure this can be a lonely journey.You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care of yourself.

Carolyn

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cathy,

My prayers are with you. I am going through a similar debilitating situation with my husband. I know that the caregiver MUST take care of herself. This is what my friends tell me, and I read TUG because it cheers me up to envision the many travel tales and contribute when I can. Since I also work full time, it is taxing to say the least. I will PM you.

Folks here on TUG are really a great community.
Take care and try to find time for yourself, even if for a short weekend break.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Our thoughts are with you. This is a tough thing to experience and more and more of us will be facing these types of realities as we age.

MelBay

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You are a wonderful wife. My prayers will be with you on this journey.