• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2010] Is this a scam?

KDD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear of 'Time share vacations Only' ?
He is asking for $100 back from us after we receive a cashiers check from his client for a week we are renting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M
The scam is that he will send a "certified check" or "cashier's check" for more than the amount of the rental, asking you to wire the difference to a third party as a commission (or for some other reason). You might wait a few days to ensure the check clears and then, following instructions, you'll wire the difference to the third party. Only weeks later will you get a call or letter from your bank telling you that the cashier's check you deposited has bounced and you owe the bank that amount and the bounced check fee. So you're out the bank fee and the amount you wired to the "third party" (the scammer).

This scam is discussed in numerous threads on this forum and in the "how to sell" and (by reference) "how to rent" articles located at the top of the list of topics for this Buying, Selling, Renting forum.

Edited to note that it took me longer to write my response. I'm glad we agree!

Last edited by a moderator:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear of Kenneth Carter 'Time share vacations Only' ?
He is asking for $100 back from us after we receive a cashiers check from his client for a week we are renting out.

ANYTIME a "customer" asks for cash back you can be certain it is a scam. Don't do it.

deedman

Reaction score
I know that deep down you already know this is a scam. pat yourself on the back for not taking the bait no matter how good it looked. If he calls back tell him to have his "renters" get him a new cashiers check that is $200 less, and tell him the other $100 is for his excellent work.

KDD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Well, we just looked at the order of things and we got to thinking how strange a set up that was, why on earth would a broker not be honest with his client and get his money up front from his client. This guy has a website that looked straight. http://timesharevacationsonly.com/

deedman

Reaction score
when a website doesn't have any tabs, and the site looks like it took 20 minutes to create, I wouldn't call it straight. And I like how the Marriott ocean pointe and Marriott ocean watch resorts have the same exact picture ... very professional

"We will spot light your unit in ad compaigns"

can this guy even spell?

i take it back, you shouldn't pat yourself on the back for this, you should smack yourself for even thinking twice about it

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Some of these scam-artists actually do a semi-legit rental or resale business on the side. After obtaining rights to a TS by ripping off some poor soul, they'll turn around and rent or sell it to another who stumbles upon the obscure listing by accident and has no idea he's overpaying for stolen property. Of course, the original owner won't see a dime of that.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We receive hundreds or inquiries per week

That's another quote from the pro!

deedman

Reaction score
ya this scammer should realize a little proofreading goes a long way when you are trying to rip people off that have more than a few braincells left.

fezziefez

Reaction score
I wish I would have found this last week....Yes this is a scam! He told me we had a place to rent and I was waiting for the contract. It took him three days to tell me the owners rented to someone else behind his back. Really?? Who he was trying to scam on the other end probably didn't fall for "send the money back to me" trick. But all of a sudden there is another unit available for more money!! No money ever exchanged hands, but what a piece of work.

S

ssmith

Worked for me. Great Customer Service

[Posted by a shill - DeniseM]

-------------------------

I purchased a trip with the help of [link deleted] and I was more than satisfied with the process. Ken provided all details about our trip. NO surprises at all. We got a really good deal and we had a great experience. No scam at all. I will recommend this company to anyone!

Originally Posted by Dave M
The scam is that he will send a "certified check" or "cashier's check" for more than the amount of the rental, asking you to wire the difference to a third party as a commission (or for some other reason). You might wait a few days to ensure the check clears and then, following instructions, you'll wire the difference to the third party. Only weeks later will you get a call or letter from your bank telling you that the cashier's check you deposited has bounced and you owe the bank that amount and the bounced check fee. So you're out the bank fee and the amount you wired to the "third party" (the scammer).

This scam is discussed in numerous threads on this forum and in the "how to sell" and (by reference) "how to rent" articles located at the top of the list of topics for this Buying, Selling, Renting forum.

Edited to note that it took me longer to write my response. I'm glad we agree!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Why are you responding to a post from 2010? :shrug:

Frankly - your post is not believable.

SHILL ALERT!

firealarm.gif

Last edited:

Craigvince

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the current business with that website is NOT the same business that was referred to 2 years ago in this thread. The original scammer most likely disappeared and the new business was fortunate (or not) enough to get the old domain name.

Craigvince

TUG Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the current business with that website is NOT the same business that was referred to 2 years ago in this thread. The original scammer most likely disappeared and the new business was fortunate (or not) enough to get the old domain name.

After looking up the domain on Netsol WhoIs, I find that it has been registered to the same person since November 2009, which is before the scam was reported in May, 2010. Looks like the same guy might have simply revived his old business. :confused:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I don't care what kind of business it is. Any business who posts LIES on the web to self promote cannot be trusted for ANYTHING!

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am bringing this thread back up to warn folks that I have received an inquiry from this individual and a rental offer - his language and style seemed off so I googled his name. It appears he is still "in business". He found me through redweek.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't really blame it on RedWeek...

So much for the "no scammers on Redweek"

In all fairness, it seems to me that in the above described situation the RedWeek ad (and advertiser) were both entirely legitimate, but it was instead the responding entity who was / is maybe... "not so much". :shrug:

In my own experience I never encountered a scammer as a result of placing a RedWeek ad. I have always assumed that the RedWeek "membership requirement" to respond to ads (i.e., paper trail, with traceable identity) discouraged scammers. I'm wondering if that policy has changed since I last posted an ad there.

That said, I did find that numerous would-be-"middleman" brokers and the like (a Cindy Jones foremost among them) would often respond to my RedWeek ads. While not actually "scammers", they were (...to me) nonetheless unsolicited and unwelcome annoyances and were accordingly sent promptly on their way.

Last edited:

kgwartz

Reaction score
need advice

so what is the verdict on the site vacation only.com? legit? what about sellmytiemsharenow site?

Any one if holiday group was taken over by another company?

kckierlands

Reaction score
I just received an unsolicted rental contract from Ken Carter on behalf of Timeshare Vacation Services, 709 143rd Ave Ne, Bellevue, WA 98007, 425-985-9247. It appears he is now doing business under the name of Timeshare Vacation Services. He contacted me responding to my Redweek rental ad.

He first inquired whether the unit was available. I responded that it is available. He then responded sending me a contract proposing a rental of my listed Redweek unit to a third-party for $350.00 above the listed rental price. The contract provides that a $350.00 deposit be paid through PayPal to Timeshare Vacation Services by the third-party renter. Once the deposit was paid, the renter's name was to be added to the reservation. Once the name was added to the reservation, the balance (which matches the amount I advertised for the rental) is to be paid directly to me by the renter using either a cashier's check or paypal. Based on the above comments by others, I am not going forward with this transaction.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread

My friends want to rent two consecutive February weeks at Marriott's Ocean Pointe on Singer Island in Florida. I tried Redweek where I found several possibilities But nobody got back to me. So I checked Craigslist. This guy Ken responded. When I did a little research I found out he is the owner of TimeshareVacationsonly.com which he readily admitted.

He has the weeks I want for a price I was told would be acceptable, but I am reticent to do business with him after reading this tread. My friends do not need any aggravation, and I surely don't want to cause them any, but maybe this guy has cleaned up his act?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have done several rentals with Ken Carter - he is a licensed Travel Agent. His terms are a little unorthodox, but he is honest, and I haven't had any problems with the transactions at all.

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done several rentals with Ken Carter - he is a licensed Travel Agent. His terms are a little unorthodox, but he is honest, and I haven't had any problems with the transactions at all.

Thank you Denise. But, what do you mean by unorthodox?

Stacy7783

Reaction score
Question

Denise, I have been corresponding with Ken on a rental but he doesn't want to use redweeks suggested escrow service. Before I proceed, I want to make sure others have used him and had a good experience (on the vacationer side)

Thanks!