• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hotwire booking at WKORV

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
We booked a studio to bridge the gap between check in dates at other resorts. I'm looking forward to exploring this facility, however briefly! Should we plan to eat on site? Or drive or take the shuttle elsewhere? How are the restaurants there at WKORV as far as quality and value?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The restaurants are expensive and get mixed reviews. You can also take the free continuous shuttle to the Sheraton and Westin Hotels, which are near Whaler's Village, for more variety. All the units - even the studios, have a kitchen, so you will probably want to buy some groceries, as well.

Even if you use the shuttle, you really need a car to enjoy all that Maui has to offer.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FWIW, I've found in the last two years that the Italian restaurant has improved considerably, especially the quality of the pizzas. The only one I still don't like, for food, is the bar grill by the beach path on the north side.

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We like the grill on the south-side, but agree with Ken on north-side grill.
The best food is the one grilled by me on the BBQs and eating on our OF lanai (IMO) - at a lot less cost.

susan6103

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dining

Our last few times at the Italian restaurant have been excellent. They have a early dinner special.
I too dislike the north pool bar. Never ate there once even though we stay in north villas.

The restaurant in the south villas is quite good.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You can walk north one resort and eat at Dukes, or south to Castaway Cafe.
http://www.castawaycafe.com/

And, the food quality at Duke's has also noticeably improved in the last year. I used to go for the view and location, but am now pleased with the food. FWIW, this must be a chain-wide improvement, since years ago I would frequent the Duke's in Malibu but then it got bad and we ignored it...I went back last month and it was much, much better.

Castaway is always a great breakfast and lunch place for a relaxed casual meal with a fantastic view.

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We like the grill on the south-side, but agree with Ken on north-side grill.
The best food is the one grilled by me on the BBQs and eating on our OF lanai (IMO) - at a lot less cost.

I agree. I think the best is when David does the cooking, and I join in on the eating and enjoying their incredible 6th floor OF view. :)

Sent from my iPad

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
And, the food quality at Duke's has also noticeably improved in the last year. I used to go for the view and location, but am now pleased with the food. FWIW, this must be a chain-wide improvement, since years ago I would frequent the Duke's in Malibu but then it got bad and we ignored it...I went back last month and it was much, much better.

Castaway is always a great breakfast and lunch place for a relaxed casual meal with a fantastic view.

Sent from my iPad

We enjoyed the wine cellar at Castaway watching the sunset with bruschetta and calamari.

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
The prices at WKORVN and WKORV have increased so much in the past 8 years for the food at this resort that we NEVER eat there anymore. The last meal we had there was a hotdog, a burger, 2 tacos and 3 soft drinks for $70 including tip. I stay at many Hawaiian timeshares (MOC, HHV among others) and the food here is the most expensive of them all.

Polly Metallic

Official TUG Pool Recruiter
TUG Member
Reaction score
The prices at WKORVN and WKORV have increased so much in the past 8 years for the food at this resort that we NEVER eat there anymore. The last meal we had there was a hotdog, a burger, 2 tacos and 3 soft drinks for $70 including tip. I stay at many Hawaiian timeshares (MOC, HHV among others) and the food here is the most expensive of them all.

Yikes! That is a lot for "snack food," that isn't even a real meal! I appreciate the advice on other options. Sometimes you don't feel like going off site but don't want to cook, so it's too bad when a resort charges unrealistic prices.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I'm always surprised to read comments like this. You're at a beach resort and you expect inexpensive food? I've been to other resorts in the area for meals and they are all similarly priced.

Fish tacos at the south restaurant is ~$17, which is completely in line with prices on Maui. Most sandwiches are ~$12-18 at the resort. The hot dog cart is slightly less, and while I've never had one there I've heard they're good. The only item I order regularly that I think is overpriced is iced tea - they now charge $4.95, but at least they're happy to provide one in a to go cup (at no extra cost) when done with the meal.

Sent from my iPad

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm always surprised to read comments like this. You're at a beach resort and you expect inexpensive food? I've been to other resorts in the area for meals and they are all similarly priced.

Fish tacos at the south restaurant is ~$17, which is completely in line with prices on Maui. Most sandwiches are ~$12-18 at the resort. The hot dog cart is slightly less, and while I've never had one there I've heard they're good. The only item I order regularly that I think is overpriced is iced tea - they now charge $4.95, but at least they're happy to provide one in a to go cup (at no extra cost) when done with the meal.

Sent from my iPad

In comparison, at MOC's Marketplace, the same food can be had for $45.(The Marketplace is only in Marriott timeshares, not hotels) At the HHV there is competition within the resort by privately owned snack places. The problem here is Westin is treating this property as a hotel not a timeshare, where you can make your own lunch for a few dollars. They also control all the spots to eat on property. You may be surprised, however, resort or not $70 for a 3 person lunch is over the top.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
In comparison, at MOC's Marketplace, the same food can be had for $45.(The Marketplace is only in Marriott timeshares, not hotels) At the HHV there is competition within the resort by privately owned snack places. The problem here is Westin is treating this property as a hotel not a timeshare, where you can make your own lunch for a few dollars. They also control all the spots to eat on property. You may be surprised, however, resort or not $70 for a 3 person lunch is over the top.

Hold on. I'm quoting restaurant prices, and you're quoting takeaway prices from a market. That shouldn't be equal by anyone's standards. I believe the markets sell premade salads and sandwiches on property for less than sandwiches at the restaurant. But if you order room service, it's from the restaurant at restaurant prices.

Pricing, in general, is also subjective. I'm from LA, and lunch at a good restaurant here for three people at $70 all in, after tax and tip, would be quite reasonable.

Sent from my iPad

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hold on. I'm quoting restaurant prices, and you're quoting takeaway prices from a market. That shouldn't be equal by anyone's standards. I believe the markets sell premade salads and sandwiches on property for less than sandwiches at the restaurant. But if you order room service, it's from the restaurant at restaurant prices.

Pricing, in general, is also subjective. I'm from LA, and lunch at a good restaurant here for three people at $70 all in, after tax and tip, would be quite reasonable.

Sent from my iPad

The Marketplace at MOC is a restaurant that serves hot and cold food to order with table service and a self serve counter. It is similar to the cafe at WKORVN. It is not a market. I guess one persons reasonable is another's expensive. No matter how wealthy I am I'm still making my own lunch at WKORVN.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The Marketplace at MOC is a restaurant that serves hot and cold food to order with table service and a self serve counter. It is similar to the cafe at WKORVN. It is not a market. I guess one persons reasonable is another's expensive. No matter how wealthy I am I'm still making my own lunch at WKORVN.

No Westin resort that I've been to has something similar. It sounds like this Marriott offers a nice product at a (more) reasonable price than a restaurant. Now that you know this, will you return to WKORV? Or is the food pricing going to sway you to choose another resort? If not, why not?

Wealth has nothing to do with this issue - I would absolutely prefer to spend less on food. You are really asking for a product they don't offer. Though I also utilize the kitchen at the timeshare, it seems unreasonable to me to complain about prices given that they are not out of line for the area.

Even at WDW sandwiches at the resort restaurant are ~$13-19.

Sent from my iPad

bastroum

TUG Member
Reaction score
No Westin resort that I've been to has something similar. It sounds like this Marriott offers a nice product at a (more) reasonable price than a restaurant. Now that you know this, will you return to WKORV? Or is the food pricing going to sway you to choose another resort? If not, why not?

Wealth has nothing to do with this issue - I would absolutely prefer to spend less on food. You are really asking for a product they don't offer. Though I also utilize the kitchen at the timeshare, it seems unreasonable to me to complain about prices given that they are not out of line for the area.

Even at WDW sandwiches at the resort restaurant are ~$13-19.

Sent from my iPad

Don't get me wrong, we love WKORVN. We are original owners (have stayed there 15 times since 2007) and just sold our 3 timeshares there this year. We are going there on Sept 14th for 2 weeks and spent 3 weeks there this past July. We just got 2 II trades for WKORVN today for 2015. My only complaint is the maintenance fees are out of line with similar Marriott and Hilton Hawaii Timeshares and that "$70" lunch. My answer (to the problem) was to trade into WKORVN using SDO and SVV timeshares and "make my own lunch".

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Don't get me wrong, we love WKORVN. We are original owners (have stayed there 15 times since 2007) and just sold our 3 timeshares there this year. We are going there on Sept 14th for 2 weeks and spent 3 weeks there this past July. We just got 2 II trades for WKORVN today for 2015. My only complaint is the maintenance fees are out of line with similar Marriott and Hilton Hawaii Timeshares and that "$70" lunch. My answer (to the problem) was to trade into WKORVN using SDO and SVV timeshares and "make my own lunch".

It sounds like you know the solution. I also received an II trade (using SDO) into WKORVN today for next September. :)

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
And you can get $6.99 all you can eat Prime Rib in Vegas...
I prefer not to buy lunch/dinner at WKORV/N either - and the prices are high, but not out of norm for we I live either.
I have done the Hot Dog cart - but again prefer to BBQ my own (yet, those really expensive preservative free ones... ;))

Ken - we are at WKORV Sept20-27 - if you are there - you are invited to have sunset dinner with us on our lanai.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
And you can get $6.99 all you can eat Prime Rib in Vegas...
I prefer not to buy lunch/dinner at WKORV/N either - and the prices are high, but not out of norm for we I live either.
I have done the Hot Dog cart - but again prefer to BBQ my own (yet, those really expensive preservative free ones... ;))

Ken - we are at WKORV Sept20-27 - if you are there - you are invited to have sunset dinner with us on our lanai.

:(

I'll be there earlier in the month.

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
:(

I'll be there earlier in the month.

too bad - we will be there next from Aug 15-29, 2015, then WPORV for the 2 weeks after that. and maybe Roatan in 2015 if W5* home is ready - unless they do not one of those tree-hugging, left-coast liberal, (ex)hippie-types in their house ;)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
too bad - we will be there next from Aug 15-29, 2015, then WPORV for the 2 weeks after that. and maybe Roatan in 2015 if W5* home is ready - unless they do not one of those tree-hugging, left-coast liberal, (ex)hippie-types in their house ;)

I think I'm arriving the day after you leave...though I haven't finalized plans yet. I'm either going earlier than my II reservation or staying after, via SOs. Will let you know! Sunset on the 6th floor is always fantastic!

I'm also there sometime in March. I've got SOs to burn next year for some reason...and here I am still considering another week (though I am considering a non-SVN week next).

Sent from my iPad