• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Private Chichen Itza Tour

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone booked a private Chichen Itza tour through Lagunamar's concierge? We are wanting to "do a Cenote" and see the Light and Sound show. I have been emailing Luigi there, he want us to do an owner's update and wait to book until we get there. :wall: Jeanette on the other hand isn't thrilled about the updates and likes to have her ducks in a row before we go.

Just looking for any advise, suggestions and/or experience's you might be willing to share.

We are heading back to WLR in April :whoopie:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Has anyone booked a private Chichen Itza tour through Lagunamar's concierge? We are wanting to "do a Cenote" and see the Light and Sound show. I have been emailing Luigi there, he want us to do an owner's update and wait to book until we get there. :wall: Jeanette on the other hand isn't thrilled about the updates and likes to have her ducks in a row before we go.

Just looking for any advise, suggestions and/or experience's you might be willing to share.

We are heading back to WLR in April :whoopie:

I don't have a direct answer to your question but would comment that we booked a private tour with Cancun with Me, it was awesome. $360 for 14 hours, van, driver and host. $100 less without the host, just a driver to take you places. We went to Chichen Itza, Ek Balam (highly recommend), Dzitnup cenotes, toured a private folk art collection in Valladaloid (Casa de Los Venados, also highly recommended), had lunch at a great upscale restaurant in Valladloid called Taberna de Los Frailes.

These tours do not include tolls, admissions, meals. We hired a guide at Chichen Itza, and all-in the day maybe cost $500. If you want to see the Sound & Light show, you'd have a significantly different itinerary that us. With just a few stops- cenote and Chichen Itza +/- Ek Balam, you would probably be fine without the host, thereby reducing your costs to $400 for the day, including dinner.

Not sure what the Westin Concierge's tour would cost, maybe this would be cheaper/better.

H

Last edited:

mitchandjeanette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have a direct answer to your question but would comment that we booked a private tour with Cancun with Me,
H

So we can book it w/ you?? lol
Thanks for you suggestion....
Who is Me, and how would we get a hold of them?

Mitch

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

Ballen0351

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took a group tour thru one of the local tour companies. All the beer and soda you want on the bus ride there and back. It included lunch and a dip in the cenote which was great because it was HOT that day. It was really cool. There were 3 guides on the bus and about 20 people on the bus. The tour was abot 280 total for both my wife and I.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
mitch, ... "I have been emailing Luigi there, he want us to do an owner's update and wait to book until we get there."

Luigi cannot make doing an owner's update a condition for giving service. However, Luigi has a job to do and can be persistent in trying to push owners updates.

I was at Lagunamar last month for 2 weeks. After Luigi's third attempt to get me to do an owners update, I told him - point blank - do not bother me again!

Luigi didn't mention it again and thereafter cheerfully made dinner reservations for our group and arranged babysitters for my grandkids.

BTW, private tours can be arranged off the resort. However, almost every cut rate tour offered by the aggressive hawkers at La Isla shopping center (across the street from Lagunamar) is absolutely conditioned upon a timeshare presentation first (sometimes at a faraway location where you are pressured for hours and can't get away because you are told there is no bus back until much later). If you are new to Cancun, I'd rely on Lagunamar and eat the added cost.

I rented a car and drove for the nearly 3 hours to Chichen Itza 3 years ago because someone in our party was disabled. I would never again drive to reach Chichen Itza unless it was absolutely necessary. The roads are barren of other cars. The gas stations and rest stops are rare. Just jungle and scrub vegetation and a poker straight 4 lane superhighway. Eerie! But, Chichen Itza is worth a trip - just not in a rented car. ... eom

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Cancun with Me is run by a guy named Manny. He is Mexican but very Americanified, must have previously lived in the US.

You can do/see whatever you want in the 14 hours you have your van. There are ideas on his website if you are unfamiliar with the area and he will give you pointers and advice as the process unfolds. The van is just for your party. Adding a host is like adding a friend who lives in the area and has agreed to show you around for the day, not a formal tour guide. Our host was Andi, she was great.

We had never been to Cancun previously and this was a great option for us, although I am obsessive about travel planning and pretty much had a decent idea of the lay of the land before we got there.

Cancun with Me will pick you up and drop you off at your resort. They provide a cooler and ice in the van. I do not see any reason to book with the concierge even if one has never been to Cancun. If concierge can offer you a better price, then sure, book through the concierge. Or maybe you just want the ease of making one call, concierge is your man for that. But if you want a great tour and the ability to do what you want and avoid blatant tourist traps, its probably worth taking the time to check out Cancun with Me.

H

Last edited:

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done private tours there the past two years. It is so much better than sitting on a bus all day with not enough leg room with a bunch of strangers. The buses also require you to pick up and or drop off others which causes you to spend an extra 1-2 hours sitting. The private is the only way to go. I would recommend getting the guide. They will have a lot of information that you most likely would not get otherwise.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luigi obviously wants you to talk to him directly so that he can talk you into a timeshare tour.

But he is a cool guy you can talk to.

Just clearly tell him via eMail that you need to plan ahead and he should quote you the prices of a Chichen Itza Private tour at the owners rate (if youa re an owner at some Starwood resort) and with the discount for taking a timeshare tour.

If afterwards you clearly eMail him you will not take the timeshare tour but want to prebook at the quoted owners rate he should be happy to get thte comission for booking the tour after he understood he would not get the fee for booking you on the timeshare tour.

When I booked my tour at the Concierge desk, they had to put my physical credit card into a small device which then printed out the tour ticket.

Perhaps that is the reason why he can not book you on the tour before you arrive?

Just ask him

Fletcher921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
Manny with "Cancun with Me" was great!

We have booked with Manny - he was great. In fact - when I went to Lagunamar I was traveling alone with my daughter so we hired him for the whole week. From our airport pick-up, to our grocery shpping, daily touring, beach days, ceynotes, clubs, to an overnight in Valladolid with a day AND then an evening tour in Chichen, to our airport drop-off the next day in Merida. Was the best decision we could have made. We saw and did everything we hoped and more...

Looking back through a note I sent to a friend after we returned i found a list of what we did during that week:

Tan-Kah – ziplined, canoed, swam, and poked around Mayan village – GREAT http://www.tankah.com.mx/

Rio Secreto – Underground river tour – unbelievable THE BEST!! http://www.riosecretotours.com/

Dos Ojos Ceynote – swim all the way into the bat cave – borrow or take an underwater flashlight somehow for the keynotes – you may need to have someone with you (Manny!) who knows the ceynote to get all the way around in there – ceiling is low and seems unpassable at times… NO WAY I would have made it back there without him.

Thai restaurant – in Playa Isla Mall in Hotel Zone of Cancun. The Coconut-Chicken-citronella soup - the satay was great too. We ate there 3 times SO GOOD. Ask for an over the water table.

Also – very enjoyable:

Akumal Bay – snorkeled –was ok – not a sunny day so visibility was just “ok – Huevos Rancheros great for like $2 right near entrance

Puerto Morelos – beached it with an ice chest and umbrella – nice quiet water

Playa de Carmen – 5th Avenue – Casa Mediterranae - GREAT Italian restaurant for lobster

Ek Balaam – ruins we climbed

Chichen Itza – arrive early in the morning, save you ticket and you can see the light show at night as well – very cool

Valladolid Prison gift shop – great deals finest crafted Yucatan Hammocks anywhere – like $50 each

Mammacita’s Beach – nice beach with great clear water and cocktail service on the sand

La Petita in Puerto Morelos – Fabulous snapper dinner – they will filet for you rather than fry whole fish – like $9 each

Cheester Italian restaurant in Cancun City – best pasta ever, caprese salad HUGE.

Tulum – Urge Taquito – fabulous fish taco’s for 20 peso’s each.

Dzitnup Ceynotes near Valladolid were great

BalamKanche Cave – near Chichen Itza – Hot and sweaty but worth seeing if you go out that way

Ceynote Zaci in Valladolid – nice restaurant with a Yucatan platter for $20 pp. Nice setting for a meal on the way back from Chichen Itza.

We enjoyed EVERYTHING we saw and did. Cenotes, Ruins, Quiet beaches, Busy Beaches, Great local restaurants, grocery runs, We saw places we would never have found on our own. Manny helped with all of it. His english was great and always had a smile on his face,

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Our itinerary was:
1. Resort Pickup 6am
2. Chichen Itza- impressive in its size
3. Casa de Los Venados in Valladolid- AWESOME private folk art collection
4. Lunch at Taberna de Los Frailes in Valladolid- excellent upscale meal
5. Ek Balam- amazing ruin with some original plasterwork still intact
6. Dzitnup cenote- refreshing swim, was very crowded when we were there-Holy Werk, big time for Mexican families to vacation
7. Back to resort 8pm

Our driver was Serge, he was great too. Manny travelled part of the way with us, he is a good guy, very interesting.

H

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
We have used Entertainment Plus twice for our tours to Chichen Itza. http://www.entertainment-plus.net/. Similar to Manny, you get a van and a guide for the day. They find you a guide in Chichen Itza whom you pay separately. You can do Ek Balam, Vallaodid, a cenote and lunch, or any combination. Beto was the better of our two drivers but the other one (whose name I am forgetting) was also good.

CancunManny

Reaction score
I am Manny from CancunWithMe, and no our services are not just like entertainment nets services. They work with set itineraries, and they take folks to tourist traps and touristy buffets. I offer custom private tours, and I keep my clients away from tourist traps

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
That is pretty insulting.

How insulting?

Manny is from Mexico, but I believe he used to live in the US. Because of that, he is pretty familiar with American culture from first hand experience. He can relate to you and understand readily where you're coming from. He also speaks excellent English.

It is not better to be American than Mexican but it *may* be easier for am American tourist to tour with someone who speaks great English and has lived in both cultures.

Turn that into an insult if you'd like Am, but it's simply not.

:shrug:

Sheesh.

H

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We decided to take the owner's update to get the nice discounted price. The update was very low key, no pressure, and certainly worth the 45 minute investment to get the $100 or so discount. The update here was NO WHERE NEAR as bad as Vistana. They knew we weren't buying, and they were just as happy to let us go as we were to leave. I actually learned a few things because they spent most of our tour just answering questions, not trying to sell.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
USA Transfers offers a private tour that includes all toll roads and admission. It includes Chichen Itza, Cenote Ik Kil & Ek Bala. They have some other private pacakgage as well. Some tours may include lunch.

CancunManny

Reaction score
Yes, at this point I have lived about half my life in Mexico, and half in USA. I have been going back and forth my whole life. I am fluent in both languages, although I do type English much better. When I am in Mexico you can say I am "Americanized", and when I am in USA I guess you can say I am "Mexicanized".

I do feel comfortable around both cultures, and from first hand experience YES there are differences in the culture, some much more obvious than others. Also, yes, my "secret" weapon you could say, is the fact that I know and understand the "American" culture. I've had very good hosts working with me in the past, that were very fluent in English, but were not up do date on the "slang" and often they didn't pick up on slight cultural hints.

There are many companies that offer private tours to Chichen Itza, "supposedly" that is our competition. I put supposedly in quotes, because it is not a true apples to apples comparison. They offer set private tours, we offer custom private tours.

At first glance it would seem it is more convenient to go with a company that includes everything on their fees, admissions, tolls, etc, but if you are looking for a custom experience that can actually work against you. If you go to Chichen through Coba, you don't end up paying toll roads, but with all inclusive fees, you already paid them. If you have a restrictive diet, and decide to bring your own meals, well with all inclusive rates you already paid for the meals. If someone in the group becomes ill towards the end of the tour, and you all decide to skip Ek Balam ruins, again, with all inclusive rates, you already paid upfront for the admissions you ended up not using.

Why do most if not all private tours seem to include Ik Kill? Because it is dirt cheap for the operators to take their folks there. Our rate is half of the published rate. About 80 pesos for the buffet and cenote. The catch is that the drinks are not included, and you are not allowed to bring the drinks from the van. The buffet is ok at best, and you don't see locals eating there, just bus load after bus load of tourists.

With a custom tour, you can decide weather you want to go to a local restaurant with authentic yucatecan food, where they don't have english menus, and all the people eating around you are actually from the area. Or you could chose to eat at one of the more upscale restaurants in Valladolid, La Taberna de los Frailes, or are you looking for the classic ambiance, maybe you can eat at El Meson del Marques, next to a window, overlooking the center park and the cathedral.

Custom tours, mean more options, which translates into more work on the clients behalf, but a much better experience.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at one of the Royal Resorts next May, are there any restrictions on firms we can use?

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
There are some hotels nearby but nothing special.