• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Being told not allowed to Deposit Star Island RCI

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
So when I purchased my Star Island week the broker advised that this particular week traded RCI. Now that the transfer is complete the resort is saying that it can only be deposited II. I don't exactly know who to rely on at this juncture but RCI does show my unit number and week in the deposit calculator and confirmed that I could deposit the week but the resort had to do the deposit to RCI for me. The people at the resort really didn't seem to have a clue. They couldnt even tell me what to do about the 2013 week that is in the account but is not mine to use:wall:

This is a fixed week 52 at Star Island in phase 3 if that helps. I bought this unit specifically for the high TPU to MF ratio. The broker is looking into this but I dont think I will keep this week if I have to use it with II. Any comments, thoughts, suggestions, first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

FlaKmunKy

Reaction score
IF RCI shows it in their system that means that they are affiliated. When you called the resort did you ask if there was an onsite RCI representative? If not you ought to ask for Member Services... if not member services maybe reservations? That is very odd that your resort would do that. Maybe they have a new person there who isnt familiar.

If they still say they cant do it if you call RCI and explain the sitsuation and ask to speak to a supervisor the supervisor can e-mail them directly and see whats going on and get back to you.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Star Island has 2 ownership companies.

The Wyndham (associated) units are RCI WHEN the transfer to a NEW OWNER. The older units would have been II - as SI was just one of 5 properties which even Wyndham had II membership for their UDI points ownership.

The Star Island managed units are II ONLY.

OP needs to look at WHO her management company is - and on that question, she can call and ASK the front desk at Star Island (if she is NOT sure).

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually when a Wyndham II contract transfers, you can choose to stay with II or choose RCI. You cannot have both. It is more difficult to get Wyndham to keep the resort II.
If it is a Wyndham managed unit, Wyndham will pay for the II account OR the RCI account, not both.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today's posts include a thread about Star Island being in poor condition. If you can get out, it may be wise. It sounds like your ownership already transferred though.

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today's posts include a thread about Star Island being in poor condition. If you can get out, it may be wise. It sounds like your ownership already transferred though.

It was already transfered but I was able to get the seller to take it back...thankfully.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will want to confirm that with the resort, to be sure all paperwork is complete. Also, if it was a deeded unit, you probably would want to check at some point in the future to be sure you are not still listed on the deed. It never hurts to double check things to be sure you are totally out of it.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
One thing I do when looking at a unit is always ask for the deeded week and unit number and then go to RCI manage my deposits and punch in the name of the resort and search for the unit number. If I don't find it I know there is something wrong and I need to do more digging about phase, resort or the unit number in question.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I do when looking at a unit is always ask for the deeded week and unit number and then go to RCI manage my deposits and punch in the name of the resort and search for the unit number. If I don't find it I know there is something wrong and I need to do more digging about phase, resort or the unit number in question.

This is a really good idea and it will uncover most of the "special situations" I think

But I own a week in Wyndhams Riverside suites. The room number and week work in the RCI deposit calculator, but I cant deposit my week to RCI; its II affiliated.

As near as I can tell, the resort was all II when Wyndham bought the Equivest system. The unsold weeks and any converted weeks Wyndham deposits to RCI, and RCI members can exchange into them. But we fixed weeks owners can only deposit to II.

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score

I did exactly that and it came up in the deposit calculator fine. The resort said that because it was a fixed week it could not be deposited but the float weeks can. It didn't make alot of sense to me.:shrug:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it seems we have one more thing to consider as we do our due diligence before buying a timeshare