• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrading from Gold to Platinum

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Tuggers,

Nearly a year ago I considered upgrading from gold to platinum. I needed to buy 300,000 developer points and spend $50K. Or quite a bit less if I took over some bad contracts with higher MFs. Tuggers convinced me it wasn't worth it, so I didn't upgrade.

After reading the Star Island thread, I thought:
Could I buy a fixed week at Star Island or another Wyndham property and pay to convert the week to points? This would be much cheaper than buying 300K developer points right? So if I bought a 3 BR at Star Island, how much do you think they will charge me to upgrade to platinum? Certainly less than $50K right?

I have already PICed 2 other weeks to reach gold, so that is not an option in helping me reach platinum.

Any advice?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Tuggers,

Nearly a year ago I considered upgrading from gold to platinum. I needed to buy 300,000 developer points and spend $50K. Or quite a bit less if I took over some bad contracts with higher MFs. Tuggers convinced me it wasn't worth it, so I didn't upgrade.

Could I buy a fixed week at Star Island or another Wyndham property and pay to convert the week to points? This would be much cheaper than buying 300K developer points right? So if I bought a 3 BR at Star Island, how much do you think they will charge me to upgrade to platinum? Certainly less than $50K right?

I have already PICed 2 other weeks to reach gold, so that is not an option in helping me reach platinum.

Any advice?

Converting a fixed week will not give you VIP-eligible points. It used to - long ago - but that loophole has been closed for about 5 years. I should say, other than in Hawaii. However to convert fixed weeks in Hawaii requires a developer purchase, which puts you right back at square one.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Eric. So is it generally better to get more points by buying resale contracts? Or is it sometimes better to buy fixed weeks and pay extra to convert them?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Eric. So is it generally better to get more points by buying resale contracts? Or is it sometimes better to buy fixed weeks and pay extra to convert them?

I have some fixed weeks if you'd like to buy and pay extra to convert them. I guess you can see I went down that path and it didn't work for me.

The only case where it might - and I say might, because you would already have to be committed to "deal with the devil" - make sense if it you knew you were going to make a retail purchase to get your platinum. You could get a Kingsgate prime 3br fixed week for free - possibly with an additional gift card or prepaid maintenance as well - and the conversion would be thrown in "for free" ($189 fee plus CWP going forward) - but you'd have a cheap source of 238K points that would be worth close to $1800-2000 in today's market.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. That was helpful.
So can you clarify that? You would pay Kingsgate MF of about $1,200 + $189 to Wyndham each year in exchange for 238K? That doesn't sound so good or did I misunderstand?
Do you know how much you would get for an off season week?

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. That was helpful.
So can you clarify that? You would pay Kingsgate MF of about $1,200 + $189 to Wyndham each year in exchange for 238K? That doesn't sound so good or did I misunderstand?
Do you know how much you would get for an off season week?

No, once a week is converted it stays converted unless you fall delinquent on the dues. So it would then be a converted week (points) contract with ARP only for the underlying week. ARP at Kingsgate is meaningless anyway.

You only pay the $189 once at the time of the conversion. But you pay the CWP fee on the 238K points as long as it is a points contract. My points was that even with the CWP of .55 and the MF (I believe a 3BR lockoff has MF around $851, not $1200) that the MF$/K of a converted 3BR lockoff prime week at Kingsgate is good - around $4/K. As such it has value on the secondary market or would serve as a cheap source of points.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
OH!!! Now I understand how those converted week contracts work! I have been reading about them but never really understood them. I can see the benefit you are talking about. But it seems like it would be a big hassle for a small benefit. Since I'm lazy, I'd rather just buy a low MF resale contract than go through all that.

Bigrob

TUG Member
Reaction score
OH!!! Now I understand how those converted week contracts work! I have been reading about them but never really understood them. I can see the benefit you are talking about. But it seems like it would be a big hassle for a small benefit. Since I'm lazy, I'd rather just buy a low MF resale contract than go through all that.

Absolutely correct.

If you've been doing this awhile, you are likely to accumulate a few "mistakes" along the way in your portfolio. :eek:

The key is making lemonade out of those lemons. I haven't quite got there on my boo-boos, but the winners have more than made up for it.

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello Tuggers,

Any advice?

Only reason to go platinum would be if you planned on being a mega renter and you were adding an additional 5 to 10 million resale points to your account on top of the developer purchase. Otherwise think of how long it would take you to recoupe the 50k on the extra 5 or 20 guest certificates and the additional 15% discount. If you are at gold level that is good enough since you are past the housekeeping and reservation transaction issues. Hope this helps.

Jason

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Absolutely correct.

If you've been doing this awhile, you are likely to accumulate a few "mistakes" along the way in your portfolio. :eek:

Ah, but we learn so much from our mistakes :)