• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alii Kai or Point at Poipu

laerut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a choice to make between Alii Kai (already confirmed through RCI but I purchased the cancellation insurance) or Point at Poipu through II. Our trip will be in July and we have a very active family of young adults traveling with us. What would you do? We plan to hike Waimea Canyon, Snorkel, and surf.

This is one week short of the flexchange for 4,000 points. I could wait and see if anything comes up within the flexchange window.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We haven't been to Alii Kai, but we like P@P more than any other place we've ever stayed. Here are the top 10 reasons why.
1. We get mesmerized sitting on the lanai and watching the waves crashing on the rocks. I’d rather have a resort on a rocky shore than one on a beach.
2. It’s a short walk to the light beacon on top of the hill where you can watch awesome sunsets. It’s one of the few places in Hawaii where you can watch the sunset or sunrise over the water. We’ve seen several green flashes at sunset and one at sunrise.
3. It has something you won’t find at most resorts: a pool with swimming lanes.
4. If you don’t feel like cooking or going out, you can go down to the pool and get cheeseburgers and mai tais.
5. It has an adults only hot tub that is actually hot, and also has a view of the ocean.
6. Even though it’s often booked to capacity, it never feels crowded (except if you’re trying to find a parking spot after 8 PM).
7. It’s a good place to watch whales, sea turtles, or monk seals.
8. It’s close to Poipu Beach Park, once voted America's Best Beach. One side is safe for small children, and the other side is great for snorkeling.
9. They offer free guided hikes. The nature hike follows the popular greenbelt walking path to the Poipu Beach Park, and comes back along the coast. The Maha’ulepu Hike goes past the Hyatt, up on the cliff overlooking Shipwrecks Beach, and along ancient sand dunes that have been hardened and compacted into spectacular limestone ledges and cliffs.
10. Poipu hasn’t been over developed… yet. It has a very laid back atmosphere. The recession has helped keep it that way for at least a couple more years

Here's some pictures: http://artringwald.smugmug.com/Travel/The-Point-at-Poipu/

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I've only been to Kauai once so far from an expert. But given what you're saying, I'd choose the Point if I could get in there. It's a beautiful area, I think closer to Waimea Canyon and the beach there is spectacular.

If you were wanting to spend equal time on north and south shore, I'd say go for the other resort as it's pretty much in the middle.

If we had to go again, we'd definitely try for the south shore next time.

laerut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have studied a bit more about the Point at Poipu. Here are my concerns:

1.They put exchangers in units on the bottom floor which may be behind sand dunes and which some describe as a dungeon.
2. Not all units are refurbished.
3. There is ongoing construction.
4. We will have two couples and the second bedroom sounds like it has twin beds. The AC in the bedroom would be awesome.

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the alii Kai a few years back. The unit we stayed in had only one bathroom and the bedrooms were right next to each other and pretty small.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

1.They put exchangers in units on the bottom floor which may be behind sand dunes and which some describe as a dungeon.
4. We will have two couples and the second bedroom sounds like it has twin beds. The AC in the bedroom would be awesome.

1. If you don't want a ground floor unit at P@P, as soon as you get a reservation #, you can email to Poipu4@diamondresorts.com and request the highest floor available.
2. The majority of the units have been renovated. The renovations were more about fixing the exterior, but they did put in new furniture. The furniture in the older units isn't that bad.
3. We've been there several times since construction started, and it never bothered us. The work they're doing now is on building 8 & 9, which are on the far end of the property, so you won't notice it, except maybe while you're at the pool.
4. Some units have twin beds in the 2nd bedroom, and some have a queen. If you call (808) 742-1888 the day before you arrive and request it, if you're getting a room with twin beds, housekeeping will latch them together, and make it up with king bed sheets.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I would go with the unit at The Point also. During July both sides of the island
Are great. You'll be traveling around the island anyway so to me it comes down
To the resorts and I'd give that to The Point.

crf450x

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. If you don't want a ground floor unit at P@P, as soon as you get a reservation #, you can email to Poipu4@diamondresorts.com and request the highest floor available.
2. The majority of the units have been renovated. The renovations were more about fixing the exterior, but they did put in new furniture. The furniture in the older units isn't that bad.

I have a Thurs to Thurs exchange confirmed for P@P that checks out on Thanksgiving. Unusual that they have a Thursday check in at a timeshare, never seen that before for week exchanges. Never been there so would like your recommendations on which RENOVATED building to request and if possible unit #. I know as exchangers, we will be low on the totem pole, but would like to put in the request as you have recommended.

Last edited:

PassionForTravel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
While I can't speak to either resort. Given that you are going in July I'd be inclined to stay with your current exchange. Even though you have the insurance you will still be out the exchange fee ~$200 plus P@P charges a daily resort fee. The south side beaches can be rougher in summer if there is a storm in the southern hemisphere (although no where near as rough as the north side in winter). If you were going in Nov or Jan then it would be P@P without a question. But in the summer most of the beaches on the north side are tranquil and swim able. That's can't be said in the winter. There is a user KauaiKid who owns multiple weeks at Ali Kai, I'd PM him and get some feedback on the resort.

Another thing which is personal preference if you are really into lush/green the North Side has it.

Going from either side to the other is going to be a long car ride.

Ian

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a Thurs to Thurs exchange confirmed for P@P that checks out on Thanksgiving. Unusual that they have a Thursday check in at a timeshare, never seen that before for week exchanges. Never been there so would like your recommendations on which RENOVATED building to request and if possible unit #. I know as exchangers, we will be low on the totem pole, but would like to put in the request as you have recommended.

The top floors of building 6 have the best views, but are also the longest walk from the parking lot. We usually request the top floors of building 8, but that might still be under construction in November. We also like the view from the top floor of build 4, and that's a shorter walk than building 6.

2013-01-22%2021-41-36_0001-L.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Re your concerns:

1. Unit location for exchangers

Where exchangers go is a bit more involved than that. There are four view categories, and guests who are either owners or members of DRI's club are assigned to specific view categories at the time the reservation is made. Deeded owners are tied to specific view categories and Club members reserve specific view categories.

When there is an incoming exchange, the resort does not assign a view category to the exchange. Rather the system limits the number of allowable check-ins for owners/club members to assure that there will be units remaining for the exchanger after owners/members make their reservation. The exchangers are then put into whatever view categories happen to have not been filled by owners when the allowable number of owner/member reservations have been made. There are a number of situations in which exchangers have been placed into oceanfront units - I've met several exchangers at the resort in the last few years who have been placed in oceanfront units.

IMHO, the "Garden View" units that face the sand dunes are actually the most desirable garden view units. Far from being a dungeon, they front directly onto the ocean - they are "Garden View" only because the dunes block the view of the water. But unlike other garden view units, there is nothing between you and the ocean. You sit on the lanai and hear the waves crashing directly on the rocks in front of the unit.​

2. Refurbishing

Refurbishing is proceeding, as noted by others. Even unrefurbished units are nice and are probably on a par with Alii Kai.​

3. Construction

The construction on-site hasn't been problem at all for us in our last stays, except that last summer we weren't able to get to the adult hot tub. I believe that construction in that area is now completed, though.​

4. AC in units

If you look at the map provided by Art, note that some of the buildings have concave corners as they face the ocean, and at those corners there are oddly-shaped units that are wider at the rear of the unit. (Example: Units 103, 203, and 303 in Building 9). In those units the second bedroom is located in that wide area to the rear and does not have AC. Nor does that bedroom have an ocean view. The window in that bedroom faces onto the public corridor that is on the land side of the building. And with no AC in the room, it is often necessary to keep that window open to keep the room from being stifling, which means that there are people walking right past that open window.

Those units are markedly inferior. They are nice if you only need one bedroom, since the second AC unit serves the living room. But if you have two couples traveling they are not good. If you get an exchange into Poipu, you should send a letter to reservations at the resort letting them know that you will have two couples traveling and request that they assign you a unit that has AC in both bedrooms.​

Last edited:

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the alii Kai a few years back. The unit we stayed in had only one bathroom and the bedrooms were right next to each other and pretty small.

Strange since the Alii Kai units are all two bedroom, two bath.

Sterling, owner

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. The one we had had only 1 bathroom. It was a top floor in a building across from the pool.

laerut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the great information. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

It looks like the buildings near the parking would have no view. Is that correct. I will submit a request but is there any other way to avoid those?

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
Views

The upper floors may have a nice view. I loved the view of the pool and ocean from the top floor of building 10. They are on higher ground.