• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Back to Europe

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am headed back to Europe in the fall. While I have been to Europe many times, it has been a while since I have been there. I have traveled extensively in Asia lately.

My itinerary is fly into Frankfurt and proceed to Munich, Prague, Krakow and Berlin. I would appreciate any help and suggestions as to what to see and how to travel among the cities. I will redeem loyalty points for most of the trip so I will be staying in the cities proper rather than in TS. There are only 2 of us and while I suppose I could rent a car, I probably will not. I can also speak adequate German so that will help while in Germany but that is the one country that Engish would be perfectly fine for most encounters.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Berlin is one of my favorite cities. I recommend Fat Tire Bike Tour. The city is fairly flat so it's an easy ride. It gives a good overview, mostly in East Berlin and passes many primary sites like the Brandenburg Gate, the site of Hitler's bunker (long gone), the Jewish Memorial (with a lunch stop), the Berlin Wall and others. Each stop is about 10-15 minutes so if something really attracts your attention, you can go back for more after the tour. The office is a short walk from a U-Bahn station.

I also recommend the Charlottenburg Palace.

Finally, KaDeWe is a fantastic Department store at the end of the Ku'damm.

In Munich, I suggest a stop at BMW Welt where people pick up their car having ordered them in the USA. They give tours even if you haven't bought a car ;).

You cannot beat the trains for intercity travel. I've used them many many times including overnight sleepers and never been disappointed. I have managed to avoid strikes. :D

Cheers

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
Seconded on trains. Don't drive, just hop a train!

DH and I used to be athletes, and competed extensively in Europe, which meant we were often competing apart from each other, didn't get much time to sightsee. One season, however, we were together for once and there was a 5-day gap between venues, so he and I dropped our gear with the team and jumped on a train. Just a backpack each, and we managed to hit Dresden, Prague, Berlin, Hamburg, and then meet back up with the team in Winterberg in those 5 days. Trains go everywhere, on an easily understood and reliable schedule, between and within countries, even to the tiny little towns on the outskirts.

As for cities, Prague is my favorite city in Europe so far, hands down. ENJOY!!! Recommendations are really just to walk around, eat, go in places that look interesting, absorb. But for specifics:
  • Everything in the old town district, including the clock tower (go up)
  • Prague Castle
  • Charles Bridge of course
  • St. Peter and Paul Cathedral and adjacent cemetery
  • Pasta Fresca (looks like a plain door on a street, with only a small sitting area, but walk in and you'll find a huge amazing basement with wine and delicious food)

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter, who is 20, was in Prague this past weekend. She toured the concentration camp nearby. I was impressed that she came up with the idea on her own. I think she was the only one of the friends she was traveling with to go there.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
One word:

logo-db-bahn.png

Please please: have a nice Schweinshaxe for me in Bavaria. Gosh I miss that glorious pig und eine alt bier. sigh. :bawl:

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
train

I always assumed I would take the train since I have done so in the past many times. I have always repelled at the idea that some Americans have about trying to rent a car in Europe. While I have done that too, for some it is a knee jerk reaction which is unfortunate since some don't realize other modes of travel exist outside their own country. Americans are way to dependent upon the auto.

I may have to read a primer again to figure out the best way to book train trips or to figure out what deals are the best. I know that a europass sometimes is a good deal and sometimes not. I woud appreciate any info or leads people have relative to this.

PS. I also assumed that Auschwitz would be a day trip from Krakow.

Last edited:

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
When we were there, DB had a special trial offer to buy a trial card for 25 Euro. It gave us locals prices, quite discounted, both within Germany and at their connections (worked from Prague and to Paris at the time). It's been a couple years so I'm not sure what the latest deal is, but here's the link to poke around their English site:

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I think the DB discount cards (several versions) are still active.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trip

No, I just haven't investigated it yet, Suggestions?

This trip is designed to fill the holes of places I have wanted to go to and still havent. Most other places i am interested, I have already visited- even Vlad the Impailer's castle in Romania.

Jimster

TUG Member
Reaction score
tour

Thanks Pat. I really hadnt considered Terezin but I don't know if I can really handle Auschwitz and Terezin. I am sure both will be very depressing. They are different in some ways. So I might try to do both. I am a history teacher/lawyer by occupation and my specialty is inter-war German history as well as the Third Reich. So I definitely have an interest. Prague would be the start point for Terezin and Krakow for Auschwitz and I am visiting both cities. I considered visiting Warsaw too, but there is very little left since it was desimated in the war. I asssume you visited Terizan- What were your recollections?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Thanks Pat. I really hadnt considered Terezin but I don't know if I can really handle Auschwitz and Terezin. I am sure both will be very depressing. They are different in some ways. So I might try to do both. I am a history teacher/lawyer by occupation and my specialty is inter-war German history as well as the Third Reich. So I definitely have an interest. Prague would be the start point for Terezin and Krakow for Auschwitz and I am visiting both cities. I considered visiting Warsaw too, but there is very little left since it was desimated in the war. I asssume you visited Terizan- What were your recollections?

I haven't been to Terezin however I have been to Auschwitz and yes, it was terribly depressing and sombre. We took the bus from Krakow and from recollection it was about 1 1/2 hours. I've also been to Warsaw and whilst the Old Town has been rebuilt to what it was prior to its decimation during the war many people will argue that it lacks the authenticity. The rest of the city is a rather depressing, grey, Soviet style, it would certainly be a disappointment after Prague and Krakow.

I'm visiting Munich in July and planning on visiting Dachau.