• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

DaveO

Reaction score
I have made several posts on this site throughout the Summer of 2014 that have caused Kirk Wankel, Northwynd Resort Properties and Northmont Resort Properties Ltd. some concern. In particular, I have made allegations of illegal and fraudulent behavior. Having made these comments based on publicly available information and solely with a view to fleshing out the relevant facts as they pertain to this resort, I do apologize to the extent that I may have overreached and in any way defamed Kirk Wankel, Northwynd Resort Properties and Northmont Resort Properties Ltd. I vow to refrain from making any written or oral statements that I know are false or defamatory in the future.

I wouldn't be apologizing I'm sure the truth hurts and they can't put on their big boys pants and handle the truth. Wankel is a scumball and it is a fact that he has done this bump and dump scheme before and he's doing / assisting it again.

aden2

Reaction score
The Legacy for Life program was nothing but deceptive marketing by Fairmont and company. During the two years 2009 and 2010 Fairmont became insolvent and than foreclosed. In my situation I was given false and misleading information, and thus scammed for $7,269. for believing that I was dealing with honest people. Now I am being told I am also responsible for major renovations because we changed your contract, but did not inform you when we were doing it. Oh, Fairmont was not able to give audited yearly financial statements during the years in question.

Chalup

Reaction score
Legacy for Life

The Legacy for Life program was nothing but deceptive marketing by Fairmont and company. During the two years 2009 and 2010 Fairmont became insolvent and than foreclosed. In my situation I was given false and misleading information, and thus scammed for $7,269. for believing that I was dealing with honest people. Now I am being told I am also responsible for major renovations because we changed your contract, but did not inform you when we were doing it. Oh, Fairmont was not able to give audited yearly financial statements during the years in question.

Well said... We signed our Legacy for life contracts for both Fairmont and LOR outside the Province of BC. Looking back on that process, and fast forwarding to today knowing what we now know..... We were way too trusting in Fairmont! It's a blind faith actually brought on by the belief that it was all about converting our weeks to points which was the focal point of their tour presentation at that time. Totally misleading. What were we thinking? Never to trust again...:mad:

Anxiety123

Reaction score
Yes we were contacted way back to come to one of their meeting/presentations in Edmonton. We fortunately didn't go as I was satisfied with my one week per year. But, our close friends went and bought into the program. They didn't realize they were buying Legacy for Life, they thought they were just converting to points which for them where much easier as they travel all the time. Northmont new what they were doing!! They wanted as much money as they could get and as many contracts changed to include the wording "Capital Improvements" before this new "Reno Plan" was presented to us all. I am sure glad the Appeal was successful (glad I retained Geldert Law at the very beginning of this mess). If you want some help with the matter at hand, I would contract Geldert Law.

GypsyOne

Reaction score
There are numerous people like Anxiety's friends - people who are absolutely convinced they were scammed. But, probably the largest group of victims are those continuing to pay maintenance and special assessments. For them the escalation of maintenance and calls for more renovation money will be an on-going saga. That will be particularly true if the Northmont gang have their way in court.

Be one of a large group of good people determined that innocent people will not be victimized. The gang we are up against hire the best lawyers our money can buy and use the courts to extract more money from the innocent. Our defence is to beat them in court. But justice takes money - for research, for laying out the case, and for presentation in court. This is no time to let others be the solution, to wish the problem just goes away. In short, no time for apathy. Join the litigation group and be part of the solution. Website www.sunchasertimeshareowners.com or email sunchaser@geldertlaw.com

Spark1

Reaction score
There are numerous people like Anxiety's friends - people who are absolutely convinced they were scammed. But, probably the largest group of victims are those continuing to pay maintenance and special assessments. For them the escalation of maintenance and calls for more renovation money will be an on-going saga. That will be particularly true if the Northmont gang have their way in court.

Be one of a large group of good people determined that innocent people will not be victimized. The gang we are up against hire the best lawyers our money can buy and use the courts to extract more money from the innocent. Our defence is to beat them in court. But justice takes money - for research, for laying out the case, and for presentation in court. This is no time to let others be the solution, to wish the problem just goes away. In short, no time for apathy. Join the litigation group and be part of the solution. Website www.sunchasertimeshareowners.com or email sunchaser@geldertlaw.com

This is no 5Star Resort. This is what we paid for but believe me this is not what anybody is getting. We have friends that bought 2 gold weeks 2 bedroom sleep 8 and one red week 2 bedroom sleep 8. They joined SPOA and converted their time into the RCI Point System and when they went to use it all they could get is a 1 bedroom sleep 4. That is a lot of money to spend and all you can get is a one bedroom sleep 4.This has also happened to a cousin of my wife that paid a lot of money for Legacy for life. She thought she was getting a 2 bedroom sleep 8 and all they would give her is the one bedroom. She had gold weeks also. People are spending a lot of money for nothing and you could rent for a lot less. These RCI points are expense. These guys are crooks. Join Geldert Law.

Reaction score
Litigation Group Closing Soon

They anticipate closing by September 19 so don't delay if you think you might be interested in joining - whether you have paid to stay, or paid to go, or not paid at all.

Brief background: www.sunchasertimeshareowners.com

Geldert Law: info@geldertlaw.com

Of course there are no guarantees, but I really feel peace of mind being part of this litigation group. We have the numbers to make a difference.

Pita

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're at Hillside on a RCI getaway. If the rumoured new maintenance fees are true, then we got a steal of a deal from RCI. The place is about half as busy as we usually see at this time of year.
One of the buildings have two units listed for sale. The realtor is Kim Collens. Her website has lots of pictures showing the renos. Looks like a few units have been sold.

Reaction score
For sale as timeshares? As condos?

Can you provide a link to these listings? I cannot find them on her website.

pdoff

Reaction score
go to Kim Collens - Fairmont area - Condos. There they are in all their glory - 2 of them for sale. If the condo fees are raised to
anything like the previous maintenance fees = watch out!

Bill4728

Reaction score
If enough people have their TS taken/given up ect then the company holding all these weeks could "put them together" and get a full year condo out of 52 weeks of TS. You & I can't do this but the "developer" might be able to. Maybe this part of the end game for the developer. Get people to pay you to take back their TS weeks then put them together and sell them as full time condos.

Icefan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Likely these are the privately owned condos just below the Hillside 6000 building along the 10th fairway. There have been 2-4 of these for sale off and on for the last few years. You can rent some of these privately from the owner as well, as we did from an owner Saskatchewan about 4 years ago.

Reaction score
Likely these are the privately owned condos just below the Hillside 6000 building along the 10th fairway. There have been 2-4 of these for sale off and on for the last few years. You can rent some of these privately from the owner as well, as we did from an owner Saskatchewan about 4 years ago.

You're right - I recognize those.

That's why I couldn't find them. They are not timeshares.....completely unrelated to ours.

Reaction score
If enough people have their TS taken/given up ect then the company holding all these weeks could "put them together" and get a full year condo out of 52 weeks of TS. You & I can't do this but the "developer" might be able to. Maybe this part of the end game for the developer. Get people to pay you to take back their TS weeks then put them together and sell them as full time condos.

No doubt. They did say that once they knew how many were paying to go, they would remove some inventory from the timeshare regime.

But oddly enough, they want timeshare lessees to pay for the capital improvements on ALL the buildings before they decide which ones are to be sold. And of course the proceeds from those sales will in no way benefit the timeshare lessees.

Yes....just a few of the many reasons we joined the litigation group.

Inquire at info@geldertlaw.com if you might be interested. The group is closing within the next couple of weeks.

Spark1

Reaction score
No doubt. They did say that once they knew how many were paying to go, they would remove some inventory from the timeshare regime.

But oddly enough, they want timeshare lessees to pay for the capital improvements on ALL the buildings before they decide which ones are to be sold. And of course the proceeds from those sales will in no way benefit the timeshare lessees.

Yes....just a few of the many reasons we joined the litigation group.

Inquire at info@geldertlaw.com if you might be interested. The group is closing within the next couple of weeks.

It looks like this is the building below the 6000 building which is privately owned. As you see none of us trust Northwynd. Now you know the big push to get buildings removed from the lease owners agreement. It is to bad that Justice Loo made a bad decision at the special case because a lot of the time owners would not of cancelled.

Pita

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like they're working on two buildings at the moment. Lots of work trucks and companies daily at the site. The pictures look like only some cosmetic renovations were done and minimal movement of walls etc. Just thinking if they sold the 2br one for 260,000 and received say 150,000 from 52 timeshare owners who paid to exit....pretty good profit!! I was also wondering if they have access to the fitness facilities besides the tennis courts and kid's playground. Nice view of the 10th fairway but no reserved parking etc.

Beaverjfw

Reaction score
Claims / Settlement?

The BC claims have stayed steady at 270 for the last week or so, but I understand the "Savages" are active in Alberta and Saskatchewan.
One of my friends, who has an annual and bi-annual week at Sunchaser, was called on the phone by the SVG law firm, inquiring as to whether he wanted to "settle". He had not been served any documents other than the "draft" crap that was mailed earlier this year.
His respond was a swift NO and he then advised them we would be claiming against them through the Geldert Law firm
Unfortunately he didn't string them along long enough to find out how much they might settle for.
No listing has shown up on the JLL web sites yet so I expect Northmont is trying to squeeze every last dime from the timeshare owners before having a fire sale on what's left of the place.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Beaverjfw

Reaction score
Alberta Statements of Claim

At present there is no facility for online searches for new Statements of Claim in Alberta. There is a paid subscription service that does provide this service on a twice weekly basis. I once received the bulletins from this private company and found the information useful.

Not sure if it might be worthwhile for our litigation group to have access to these details but it is available from this company, here.
http://www.businessprospects.ca/ourservices.htm

(Disclosure: I have no interest, public or private, in this company)

Punter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Served yesterday with $12700 claim - how to respond?

Until yesterday, I was unaware of most of this fiasco. I have tried to contact the lawyer and have left two messages - I would like to join the class action suit if it's not too late.
In the meantime, how do we respond to the claim? We have 20 days and a form to submit. I was just wondering what wording to use under section 1 " I dispute the Plaintiffs claim....."
I am not giving these criminals a dime!
Thanks in advance!

Beaverjfw

Reaction score
Punter,
It may be too late to join the litigation group as Mr. Geldert had planned to close the group as of September 19. Hopefully he will let you in as he has prepared Statements of Defense and will file these on your behalf.
If you are shut out you have some work to do. This issue has been ongoing for 18 months. I'm surprised you are only hearing of this now as the original invoices came out in April 2013, more were sent in November 2013, adding interest and 2014 dues. After that Northmont's lawyers sent "draft" Statements of claim and their collection monkeys have even been calling owners directly.
Start at posting 1 of this forum. You will have a lot of reading (another 1645) to do but you will be up to speed once you have finished. There should be more than enough information available for you to file your own Statement of Defense.

Last edited:

aden2

Reaction score
Punter;
Where do you live? Do you belong to a facebook group? Geldert Law is where most went, and if you are prepared to leave him a message, it may help.

Reaction score
Until yesterday, I was unaware of most of this fiasco. I have tried to contact the lawyer and have left two messages - I would like to join the class action suit if it's not too late.
In the meantime, how do we respond to the claim? We have 20 days and a form to submit. I was just wondering what wording to use under section 1 " I dispute the Plaintiffs claim....."
I am not giving these criminals a dime!
Thanks in advance!

You'll want proper legal advice to deal with this.....whether you're still able to join the litigation group, or have to get your own lawyer.

Why join the group? Because there are almost 1000 of us sharing the cost, and our lawyer is up to speed on the whole thing - having worked on it for well over a year now.

Forget about reading the whole forum at this point. It is better summarized here:

Brief background: www.sunchasertimeshareowners.com

Geldert Law: info@geldertlaw.com

I hope it's not too late for you to join.

If you know anyone else who has a timeshare with Sunchaser, please share this information with them too. Whether they've paid to stay, paid to go, or not paid at all, they'll want to know about this group.