• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newport Wyndham Onshore, RI

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have booked a two bedroom later next month for a week, and have not stayed there before. There doesn't seem to be a recent thread here, but comments I've read on TA suggest some units are rather tired and in need of an upgrade. Has anyone been this year and able to let me know if there is a wing or building I should insist on or avoid?

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you book through Wyndham? We haven't stayed at that resort in a number of years, but have recently stayed at the Long Wharf. If you can change your reservation to the Long Wharf, I don't think you will be disappointed. We will be there the weekend after Thanksgiving
Sue

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
susgar...we did a weeks exchange through RCI. I'm going to call them as I have a few questions.

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed at almost all the Newport properties in the last 2 years. The location of the Onshore is great and even though the units are dated its our preferred spot (the long wharf is a close second). That said it is all about building and room location. Any room close to the water or with a good view makes the dated decor a worthwhile tradeoff (at least in my opinion).

check out this link to see where your room is

http://www.locopro.com/newport-timeshares/maps/Newport Onshore map.pdf

When are you going?

Last edited:

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've stayed at almost all the Newport properties in the last 2 years. The location of the Onshore is great and even though the units are dated its our preferred spot (the long wharf is a close second). That said it is all about building and room location. Any room close to the water or with a good view makes the dated decor a worthwhile tradeoff (at least in my opinion).

I agree. This is our favorite, too. I would say to avoid the East building as it is furthest from the water, and one of your views would basically be the parking lot and the back of a strip of stores. It is the closest to the indoor pool, though. The West building is, IMO, the best one with units 145 and 146 the best ones in that building. One of those is a 3 bedroom and the other is a 2, but I forget which is which. That 2 bedroom is on the end with windows overlooking the water on 3 sides with unobstructed views. Also, there are real fireplaces, so on a chilly evening, it is amazing to sit with the fire and the view. I would guess that the lower floors would share the same view, but it is probably the best from the top floor (4th).

The staff there is also incredible and responsive, and you could not ask for a better location in Newport. We always get a mid-week tidy even though we are not VIP at this location. If you are a walker (we are), you can walk to the mansions, Cliff Walk, Tennis Museum and more! There is a Ghost Tour that is fun and informational if you are interested in that. You don't even need a car to enjoy the area, shop, eat, and see sights.

I do recommend heading over to Brenton Point for the views and the kite flying as well. We enjoyed eating at Benjamin's. Brick Alley was also good, but I didn't think it was as good as it was hyped to be for us. We also liked the Red Parrot, though it was a bit pricey. All of those are a short walk from the resort. We are also fans of Flo's Clam Shack, though that is a drive. It is mostly fried, but it is fare we don't get often and we enjoy it while in Newport.

If you have kids with you, there is a small aquarium and indoor bounce houses on the beach (not always open, though). There are tons of local playgrounds and a dinner train, too.

We LOVE going to Newport and visit at least yearly. I will add a few pics of our last stay over Christmas, so you can see the unit condition.

Last edited:

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to some pics. Most of the interior ones are of the 3 Bedroom, which is much larger than the 2 BR. The furnishings, though, are the same. We tend to go on holidays, so forgive the Christmas and Easter decorations. There are also a lot of the kids having fun, so I apologize for that. And we had more than one unit!

winnipiseogee

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I take it you like Newport in the offseason? Not sure Why but I've always hesitated to go before may or after october. Maybe I should try I trip this winter!!

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
The low off-season points in addition to friends who live in the area are the reason we first went off-season. We wanted to visit them and the value was terrific. With the fireplace and views, we found it to be so relaxing and beautiful, we can't resist going year after year even though they work and we only see them a little during the trip. Christmas has some great offerings for families - Santa visits, American Girl Doll parties, Christmas Train ride. Last year we did the week before New Year's Eve, so we were there for Christmas, and got the 51 week points (much less than 52).

Easter time is usually still chilly, but warm enough to enjoy the outdoors with some sweatshirts or jackets. With the indoor pool, the kids are always happy, and getting them out on the Cliff Walk, flying kites, etc. in the air wears them out.

We are lucky to have friends there because they told us about so many things to do in the area that vacationers might not be aware of. We have actually never been on-season, and now worry that the crowds would put us off since we enjoy it so much off-season.

Oh, also, O'Brien's is a small indoor/outdoor bar and restaurant with typical bar food and an interesting clientele! People bring their pets and it is right on Thames, so the people watching is fun!

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ihumes7 and Winnipiseogie..thanks that's very helpful. We are a mature empty nester couple coming for a week toward the end of October to a 2 bedroom exchange, which the most convenient time for us to get away this fall. We will be joined for a few days by my sister who lives in the US. I'll have to phone to determine which unit we have been assigned, and a couple of specific questions I have. We know it's off season, and cooler that time of the year, but it'll be warmer than where we are driving from!

STEVIE

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I think you didn't mention is how beautiful the mansions are decorated for Christmas. That's the reason we are going the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Sue

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing I think you didn't mention is how beautiful the mansions are decorated for Christmas. That's the reason we are going the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Sue

I should have posted those pictures. The decorated areas are also the only ones they allow you to photograph. Love RI - can you tell??