• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rumor of new Amex card with automatic Diamond status, free night, more

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/10/07/amex-hilton-diamond-card/

Daraius and Emily outline the benefits:

Free Hilton Diamond status
14 Hilton points per $1 you spend at Hilton hotels
7 Hilton points per $1 you spend at US restaurants, car rental agencies, and airfare purchased directly from airlines
3 Hilton points per $1 you spend on all other purchases
Free night at participating Hilton hotels after spending $12,000 annually
$250 annual travel credit for incidental fees like baggage fees
Free Priority Pass membership
The card’s annual fee could be $395.

I don't think I would put that much on hotel credit card in a year. I haven't even perused the program much. I do love Doubletree and Hampton Inns though.

jestme

Reaction score
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2016/10/07/amex-hilton-diamond-card/

Daraius and Emily outline the benefits:

Free Hilton Diamond status
14 Hilton points per $1 you spend at Hilton hotels
7 Hilton points per $1 you spend at US restaurants, car rental agencies, and airfare purchased directly from airlines
3 Hilton points per $1 you spend on all other purchases
Free night at participating Hilton hotels after spending $12,000 annually
$250 annual travel credit for incidental fees like baggage fees
Free Priority Pass membership
The card’s annual fee could be $395.

I don't think I would put that much on hotel credit card in a year. I haven't even perused the program much. I do love Doubletree and Hampton Inns though.

With an annual fee of $395, and $12,000 in "spend" required, is it really a "free night?"

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
With an annual fee of $395, and $12,000 in "spend" required, is it really a "free night?"

Most Amex cards have been so-so for me.

I love my Chase Sapphire Reserve. I cannot say enough good things about it. It's going to be the best card for our MF's.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Interesting. I stay in enough Hilton properties that I will probably take a serious look at this card if its actually released.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I might do that if they come out with it before the new year, and my Key West exchange doesn't come through, as it'd save me some points for the Waldorf Astoria resort down there.

I like the 50% bonus.

I'd at least try it for one year with the reimbursement for incidentals.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Value of the New $395 Card

We don't spend that much in Hilton Hotels so that it would be difficult for us to justify the $395 cost. However, if you get a free night at a top Hilton, Conrad, or Waldorf Astoria that costs $300-$500 that certainly does make it good deal. Added that our HGVC timeshare maintenance is about $6000 so that the extra 2 points are worth about $100 over the Premier card which cost $95/year.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amex is missing all those Costco members and their daily charges.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
one can get the hilton reserve card with a $99 annual fee. Get gold status and 1 free night/year. Plus you can use it at costco.

Not hard to get diamond after that with a few stays and some purchases.

Using our free night right now here in Chicago. :banana:

Rewards
10 HHonors Bonus Points
per $1 spent on hotel stays within the Hilton Portfolio1
5 HHonors Bonus Points
per $1 spent on airline and car rental purchases1
3 HHonors Bonus Points
per $1 spent on other purchases1

Earn an upgrade to HHonors Diamond Status
when you make $40,000 or more in purchases with your card each calendar year.1

Diamond Status Includes benefits such as:
48–hour Room Guarantee — You are guaranteed a room when you make a reservation at least 48 hours prior to your arrival
50% Elite Status Bonus – With Diamond elite status, you automatically receive a 50% bonus on all the HHonors Base Points you earn.
+ All Gold Status benefits

Enjoy Hilton HHonors Gold Status as long as you are a Citi Hilton Reserve cardmember

Gold Status Includes benefits such as:
25% Elite Status Bonus - You automatically receive a 25% bonus on all the HHonors Base Points you earn.
5th Night Free – Silver, Gold and Diamond elite members will receive every 5th night free2 on Standard Room Reward stays of 5 nights or more.
Complimentary in–room and lobby Standard Internet access
Express check–out
Late check–out
Complimentary access to fitness centers and health clubs

Earn an anniversary bonus
of one weekend night certificate good for one weekend night (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, standard room, double occupancy), at select hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio after you spend $10,000 on purchases each year (starting from your Annual Fee Date) and remain a cardmember.1

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Citi Hilton Resrve card is a PIA company!! I have made the switch from AmEx to The Citi Visa in order to use it at Costco. Their customer service is horrible:
1). Denied my payment after I called to raise my limit and to tell them I wanted to pay taxes-called twice to see what the problem was, told it was the processing site (no, it wasn't)-and then told (phone call #4) that I had to have my account tagged for making a large purchase-put on hold 50 minutes to accomplish that....never did get a hold of anyone,
2). Went to CostCo-spent $, all groceries etc in cart, card denied. Called Citi AGAIN, gave her all my info, including my password-but, she had to verify me by calling the number I put on my application-which was my home #. I wasn't home, obviously! She would not "verify" me and would not let me talk to a supervisor, after 20 minutes, she hung up on me and I had to go get my ATM, 3). My HHonors are not transferring to my HHonors account. Have called 4 times-keep getting transferred, cut off, or told its HHonors program at fault. I have sent 2 emails-they remain unread.:mad:

I don't think I'm keeping this card-way too many hassles and no customer service. I have no more patience for "thank-you for your patience..." BS! :mad:

After venting-anyone have other HHonors cc to suggest?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have had used the new Costco card to book two (2) cruises and to purchased three Apple I Pad's and other major electronic with no problems.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
This card would be very interesting. My way to get to Plat is spending $40K with the Amex CC. The credit and extra points for Hilton spending would make it worth it to me.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The annual fee and min spend are not worth it for me. Whenever I get Amex offers that include a high annual fee I just toss them.

But I do love my Amex Blue Cash Preferred card. The 6% cashback at grocery stores more than pays for it's annual fee.

simon.fisher.2

TUG Member
Reaction score

I love my Chase Sapphire Reserve. I cannot say enough good things about it. It's going to be the best card for our MF's.

My wife and I just got our Chase Sapphire Reserve and are going to take advantage of the 100K ultimate rewards... we are planning a super mondo vacation!

Does Hilton or DVC allow you to pay monthly with a CC?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just got our Chase Sapphire Reserve and are going to take advantage of the 100K ultimate rewards... we are planning a super mondo vacation!

Does Hilton or DVC allow you to pay monthly with a CC?

Not sure what you mean by the last question. HGVC maintenance fees are due in one shot (it's not spread out over 12 months, it's one bill like your property/school taxes). But you can pay via CC.

MikeinSoCal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diamond status at Hilton is so watered down these days anyways. I achieve Diamond status through stays and I'm closing in on lifetime Diamond status. The only thing I get is an occasional upgrade, book a room at a sold out location and book an award stay beyond the limits. With that said, the more fast track ways there is to be a diamond, the more watered down this product will be.

I'm waiting to ultimately see what will happen to the SPG rewards now with Marriott onboard.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to an Amex Biz Plat Rep and asked about this card. The Rep said she had not heard anything.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
You can get Diamond status with the AMEX Surpass card and a $40K annual spend. But, frankly, having been Diamond based on hotel stays (back when I was traveling for work nearly every week), I don't notice much difference between Diamond and Gold. The Diamond suite upgrades rarely came through--even at properties where I was a frequent or even regular guest.

When Hilton devalued the Hhonors program a few years back, it basically made loyalty a matter of "is it worth paying an annual fee on a credit card on the off-chance that I'll get a few more hotel points and a random room upgrade?" proposition.

At least, for me.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score

I just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve and like it very much as well. The $300 in travel credits (air or hotel) comes off in the same statement as the charge. And it's a true credit on spend. So the $450 card is only $150.

It also has Priority Pass access for member plus free guests.

I also have Amex Platinum for the Centurion Lounge access, primarily.

You can get Diamond status with the AMEX Surpass card and a $40K annual spend.

Mrs. brp has that card and we do the spend for Diamond. Worth it? Perhaos not.

Cheers.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got the Chase Sapphire Reserve and like it very much as well. [...]
It also has Priority Pass access for member plus free guests.

I also have Amex Platinum for the Centurion Lounge access, primarily.

I carry these two as well, the latter primarily for Delta lounge access.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you stay at Hilton and want to only stay at hilton have at the AMEX card.

But if you travel and eat all over the place and not just Hiltons and need more flexibility the New Sapphire Reserve would be better.

you get 3X the points for all travel, then the smart use of that is to buy more travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards site, as you get a 50% premium when you PURCHASE travel through the portal. So you 1, becomes 3, with 1 50% multiple becomes 4.5% rebate on travel if you book more travel. (Yes I know you don't earn more UR points for that purchase, but it is $0 out of pocket to you and your airline FF does earns points for UR purchases).

I usually use the points for travel. I am currently sitting on nearly $5900 in travel awards. The 100,000 Bonus if you hit spend adds another $1500, plus the $200 travel coded instant credit. More than covers the $450 annual charge and it is timeshare MF payment seasonm which qualifies as travel.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I carry these two as well, the latter primarily for Delta lounge access.

The problem with lounge access via Amex Plat is that it is member-only with a charge for guests and mrs. brp and I always travel together.

This is where Sapphire Reserve is better.

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We intend to get Sapphire Reserve primarily for travels we have planned in the next few years. The 100K initial bonus, $300 travel credit and other perks make it no-brainer... for a few years. After that, we may revert to our Citi Double Cash Back as its rewards don't require travel.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
timeshare MFs are suppose to be categorized at Travel, provided they are coded properly. According to current Sapphire Reserve descriptions and rules.