• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Elara Room Types

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Its a large Acrobat document, not sure why link did work.

Yes that pink is the rooster comb, that faces the strip.

The room type is either a corner 2 BR, 3 BR or 4 BR unit, as those are configurable in multiple unit sizes. Problem is there are 2 of these per floor, 1 facing west and the strip (with the rooster tail ONLY on floors 30+), and one facing East. Unit number of one facing the strip is XX34. The room number facing east is XX02.

The rooster tail, pink box, whatever you want to call it, projects out 8 ft on the 30th floor, and 25ft on the 56th floor.
Again, there are NO floors numbered 40-49, Floors 57 to 62, are NOT timeshares. I wonder what they have put in there. Can't be hotel/timeshare space, as they are NOT allowed balconies in LV. Has to be condo by design, but what it is used for now ?? perhaps offices and sales staff. It is prime space, so I wonder.
elara-5.png

If timeshares are not allowed to have balconies in Vegas, you'll have a difficult time explaining why every unit, including the studio units, at Polo Towers have balconies.

It's not that they're not allowed. It's likely more along the lines of a liability issue.

I believe the top floors at Elera are condo units. There is a special VIP elevator that goes to those floors.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Interesting. My upcoming stay at the Elara for December 30th states "1 Bedroom Junior Suite".

Based on the following:

"
ACCOMMODATIONS
Luxurious studios, plus 1-, 2-, 3- and 4-bedroom suites
Studios and 1-bedroom suites feature kitchenettes; larger suites include well-equipped kitchens
Internet access
"

It does look like we will have a kitchenette. Strange for a 1-BDRM.

Oh well, we're only there for 3 nites over New Years and will only eat breakfast in the room.

Keep in mind that Elera was originally built by Westgate. Thus a few oddities in the rooms. One of our first exchanges was into a "1 bedroom" at a Westgate in Orlando. It had a kitchenette and, in reality, was not much more than a studio with a door separating where the bed was placed.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
We recently got the 2bdr plus for New Years. We're hoping for a good view of the strip.

Most of the 2 bedroom units, at least on the higher floors, face south towards MGM. There are a few facing north but, the majority of north facing units appear to be the 1 bedroom units that aren't part of a lock-off. This going by the room diagrams (you are here maps) on the back of the doors.
https://dougp26364.smugmug.com/HGVC-Elera-Las-Vegas-NV/i-Cfrc4GQ/A

EDIT: After taking a closer look, it appears there are 5 south facing 2 bedroom lock-off units and 4 north facing lock-off units. So they're reasonably equal.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If timeshares are not allowed to have balconies in Vegas, you'll have a difficult time explaining why every unit, including the studio units, at Polo Towers have balconies.

It's not that they're not allowed. It's likely more along the lines of a liability issue.

I believe the top floors at Elera are condo units. There is a special VIP elevator that goes to those floors.

Was polo tower built as a condo or as a timeshare. Hotels are not suppose to have balconies, I assume that timeshares occupancy fell under the same ruling.

Unless they are 2 or 3 stories and then they might be able to be.

MarcoCharlie

Reaction score
Regarding balconies in Vegas, take a look at the fairly new Cosmopolitan Hotel across the strip from the Elara - that place is virtually all balconies, although they refer to them as Terrace rooms on their website.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
It just says 2BP , It only mentioned the floors, 50 -56, when I reserved the room.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That should be the corner room. There are 2 per floor. One faces the strip and one faces the east.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Was polo tower built as a condo or as a timeshare. Hotels are not suppose to have balconies, I assume that timeshares occupancy fell under the same ruling.

Unless they are 2 or 3 stories and then they might be able to be.

It was a purpose built timeshare. Never built as a condo property. The issue of balconies is more liability than anything else. Westgate decided to dump the balconies when they met with their insurance company is what I had heard.

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked into Elara and got the 56th floor, corner 2 Bdr, facing the strip for the New Year's Eve weekend. This is our first stay here and we love the room.

Reaction score
I've stayed at the Elara last year in a 2br L/O
Absolutely gorgeous. It has a hotel feel, but one side had a full kitchen, w/d combo, jacuzzi tub, and nice sectional couch facing the balcony/window (can't remember if it was an actual balcony or just a huge bay window) with projector when you closed the blinds (actually you pushed a button and the white screen rolled down and doubled as blinds and projector screen)

The other side was a normal hotel room with a queen bed, microwave and sink.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Thanks to all on this thread. New to HGVC/Hilton Club and just booked a 3BR(the one with the full 1br attached) at Elara. Couldn't get the high floor option as it was unavailable but the information here was very helpful. The architectural drawings were hysterically helpful....LOL and thanks again.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hotels are not allowed to have balconies. Timeshares are condos, and condos are allowed to have balconies. I'd imagine most timeshare developers are either developing buildings that can qualify as hotels down the road or if some big hotel company makes an offer they can't refuse before they go into sales, or they are simply afraid that folks can't buy more from guests after they've jumped off the balcony. :)

An astute Vegas frequenter is now going to say, "but Ty1on, Cosmopolitan has balconies, and it's a hotel, so you're wrong!" Well, the Cosmopolitan was designed to be a multi-use with hotel rooms and condos. If you look at the West (larger) building, there are rooms without balconies, and rooms with balconies. The East (skinny) tower is all balconies. All those balconies were intended to belong to condo owners. Then the real estate crash happened. The developer went under, Deutschebank took over the project, and completed the build. Because the towers had already been constructed with balconies but there was no condo market to sell them to, Cosmopolitan received a waiver of the law against hotel room balconies, and thus is the only major hotel in Las Vegas with balconies. There is actually a small handful of condo owners that bought in during the initial construction and refused the buy-out offer Deutschebank presented to them. There were lawsuits involving condo owners.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
LOL, not sure where to post this but just got my confirm at the Elara with check out time at 10AM! It is Vegas, are they kidding! I hope they have a little give on that.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Hotels are not allowed to have balconies. Timeshares are condos, and condos are allowed to have balconies. I'd imagine most timeshare developers are either developing buildings that can qualify as hotels down the road or if some big hotel company makes an offer they can't refuse before they go into sales, or they are simply afraid that folks can't buy more from guests after they've jumped off the balcony. :)

An astute Vegas frequenter is now going to say, "but Ty1on, Cosmopolitan has balconies, and it's a hotel, so you're wrong!" Well, the Cosmopolitan was designed to be a multi-use with hotel rooms and condos. If you look at the West (larger) building, there are rooms without balconies, and rooms with balconies. The East (skinny) tower is all balconies. All those balconies were intended to belong to condo owners. Then the real estate crash happened. The developer went under, Deutschebank took over the project, and completed the build. Because the towers had already been constructed with balconies but there was no condo market to sell them to, Cosmopolitan received a waiver of the law against hotel room balconies, and thus is the only major hotel in Las Vegas with balconies. There is actually a small handful of condo owners that bought in during the initial construction and refused the buy-out offer Deutschebank presented to them. There were lawsuits involving condo owners.

Actually, I was thinking more MGM Signature than the Cosmopolitan, but, I think they have full ownership condo's in that project as well. I thought at one time the high roller suites (think Elvis) had balconies.

Regardless, I can't find a link to any law prohibiting them but, just the same, they don't exist. Timeshares do have them but, Elera, which had them on the drawing board, never had them in the build out as far as timeshare owners are concerned. We had what was once a prominent poster on this site who purchased a pre-construction 4 bedroom corner suite at Elera and was looking forward to sitting on his balcony, watching the Bellagio fountain show on NYE. Needless to say it never worked out.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
Maybe those "balconies" turned into those "pink" alcoves in the 2BR corner suites some have spoken about.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
LOL, not sure where to post this but just got my confirm at the Elara with check out time at 10AM! It is Vegas, are they kidding! I hope they have a little give on that.

That is normal for most timeshares. Worldmark at Noon is one of the rarer exceptions. 10 am is the norm.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
That is normal for most timeshares. Worldmark at Noon is one of the rarer exceptions. 10 am is the norm.
My TS is Utah is 11AM and you can usually push it to Noon. I was just laughing about it because I know the crew that will be in Vegas and they are not going to enjoy the 10am check out. Guess I could have booked another day ....LOL

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
My TS is Utah is 11AM and you can usually push it to Noon. I was just laughing about it because I know the crew that will be in Vegas and they are not going to enjoy the 10am check out. Guess I could have booked another day ....LOL

That's what I usually do in Hawaii, but only because most return flights leave late afternoon to late evening. I just don't like to be homeless vs trying to get moving early after a late night of partying.

Check with the front desk. Surely others have requested late check outs in the past and, for small additional fee I'm sure there's a chance you might be able to sleep in a little longer. Or, everyone can just keep the party going until it's time to head for the airport. Plenty of time to sleep on the flight home and once you get home. ;)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have routinely booked an extra day just to avoid a early check out.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 on reserving extra days before and after. no need to depend on early check in or late check out.

PattieP

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here, I currently have a 1bd at grandview week 30. The hubby and I are going to Vegas week 30 but would rather stay at the Elara. I was just wondering if Elara was ever on "extra vacations". We want to take another couple. For a different unit.

PattieP

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here, I currently have a 1bd at grandview week 30. The hubby and I are going to Vegas week 30 but would rather stay at the Elara. I was just wondering if Elara was ever on "extra vacations". We want to take another couple. For a different unit.

Sorry, forgot to mention that we'd be using RCI. I can't really check yet, we don't have our membership number yet

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They are rarely deposited into RCI. I have gotten one in the past when Hilton does it annual deposit of weeks into RCI, but never as an extra vacation.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am staying at Elara next week. I have the 4 BR unit booked. If anyone has any specific Elara questions, please post them here and I will see what I can do about answering them.