• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help - no knowledge of Hilton program

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Hi,

I am a longtime Marriott owner and have enjoyed my ownership over the years.

This morning I was discussing my timeshare with a friend at work and she said that she had a Hilton week that was a "big mistake" made during a great weekend trip. Sounds very familiar!!!

So she owns Hilton Grand points tied to a resort in Park City. She says that she has a 2BR that she can book. She says she has annual points of 3000 which seems kind of low based on me looking at the points charts.

She says that she can book a ski week with it.

So I am trying to help her use it better. I have a few questions.

1) How far in advance can she book her week?

2) How far in advance can she use her points to book outside of her home resort?

3) Can she book a week and deposit it to RCI (of course I have no idea how RCI works!)?

She wants to go to Orlando next year using "a backlog of points to do it". How many points do you need to book a week? Is this a correct chart?
http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/florida-central/hgvc-seaworld/

Thanks in advance!

John

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
John,

I will take a shot at answering your questions. Some others with knowledge of both Hilton and Marriott timeshare systems might be better.

First off, there is no way your friend has 3000 points for 2-bd ski season at Sunrise Lodge. Either the points, room size or season and/or are incorrect. We actually have two-bdroom plus ski which is 8400 points. I would have her check your actually deeded points or login to HGVC web site.

1) How far in advance can she book her week? She can book her deeded week/room type/season during 9-12 month window.

2) How far in advance can she use her points to book outside of her home resort? Less than 9 months (this includes home resort also for different season/room type etc.

3) Can she book a week and deposit it to RCI (of course I have no idea how RCI works!)? I have never done this myself but I am pretty sure the answer is yes. Please let other address this question.

She wants to go to Orlando next year using "a backlog of points to do it". How many points do you need to book a week? Is this a correct chart? Have her login to ensure she have saved last years points. You do have the correct point chart for Orlando-SeaWorld.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
3) Can she book a week and deposit it to RCI (of course I have no idea how RCI works!)? I have never done this myself but I am pretty sure the answer is yes. Please let other address this question.

Actually, no, a HGVC owner cannot book a week and deposit into RCI. We have access to a corporate RCI account in which we can use HGVC points to book an RCI reservation. The only exception is for some of the affiliate properties, but Sunrise is not in that situation.

Kurt

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I suggest that she (and you) read "The Rules," which can be found here:
www.hgvclubprogram.com/resources/club-rules/
One day, someone will publish a test that must be passed to be labeled a "HGVC guru."

From 12-9 months out, you can book a "home week" which means 1-week at your home resort (starting on the resort's weekly check-in day), during the season you own (as determined by your week #), in the same-size unit.
-- Many HGVC'ers do not bother with this, unless it's a high-demand week.

Starting 9 months out (276 days to check-out), you can book a "club" reservation at any HGVC and HGVC-affiliated resort, with a minimum 3N stay. Starting 30 days out, last-minute (cash) bookings are also possible.

Its preferable to do this online, as online bookings are freely changeable up to 30 days out, and even after that, there's ways to avoid point-penalties.

There are no deposits of "weeks" into RCI. Rather one simply books RCI thru HGVC, and the system will disclose and then deduct the requisite number of points from the HGVC account.

Also: If short of points, the system will "borrow" however many are needed from the following year, automatically (no fee).

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggest that she (and you) read "The Rules," which can be found here:
www.hgvclubprogram.com/resources/club-rules/
One day, someone will publish a test that must be passed to be labeled a "HGVC guru."

From 12-9 months out, you can book a "home week" which means 1-week at your home resort (starting on the resort's weekly check-in day), during the season you own (as determined by your week #), in the same-size unit.
-- Many HGVC'ers do not bother with this, unless it's a high-demand week.

Starting 9 months out (270 days to check-out), you can book a "club" reservation at any HGVC and HGVC-affiliated resort, with a minimum 3N stay. Starting 30 days out, last-minute (cash) bookings are also possible.

Its preferable to do this online, as online bookings are freely changeable up to 30 days out, and even after that, there's ways to avoid point-penalties.

There are no deposits of "weeks" into RCI. Rather one simply books RCI thru HGVC, and the system will disclose and then deduct the requisite number of points from the HGVC account.

Also: If short of points, the system will "borrow" however many are needed from the following year, automatically (no fee).

Is there a way to get a reservation calendar to know when the 9 months start? or, is it safe to assume that at 9 calendars months of check out you can call to make a reservation? I want to make a summer reservation and was told to reserve 3 nights and to keep calling to add one night until I get the desired nights.

I was told the phone reservation line is closed on Sunday???

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Is there a way to get a reservation calendar to know when the 9 months start?

Actually it is 276 days prior to checkout. You could use this to calculate the exact date to make the reservation. (https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html)

Another trick is to start the reservation before the time which you need and then just keep moving it until you get the dates which you want. I am sure that you are aware that a reservation made with club points is changible.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So I am trying to help her use it better. I have a few questions.

During the original sale from the developer, she also should have received some bonus points. These will only be good for two years. She will be able to see all this if she either logins on web or calls HGVC to find out.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually it is 276 days prior to checkout. You could use this to calculate the exact date to make the reservation. (https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html)

Another trick is to start the reservation before the time which you need and then just keep moving it until you get the dates which you want. I am sure that you are aware that a reservation made with club points is changible.

Thanks, this is very useful.

I know it is changeable, I was told you can pay a fee of about 125 and that gives you unlimited changes. Is this really needed? I'll be booking with a combination of banked and current year points.

The trick about starting sooner makes sense.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I was told you can pay a fee of about 125 and that gives you unlimited changes.

If you book online, your reservation is changeable w- no additional fee.
If you call in, you may pay an extra $25 to make it changeable.

Fees for HGVC Bookings:
"Home Week" -- Complimentary.
"Club" Online – $55 Changeable.
"Club" by Phone – $ 82 Non-Changeable or $107 Changeable.
Optional fee for cancellation protection - $59.

If booked online, changes must be made online (unless the system is down).
Changes are unlimited, but less than 30 days out, point penalties will apply
... unless your change uses the same or more points.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you book online, your reservation is changeable w- no additional fee.
If you call in, you may pay an extra $25 to make it changeable.

Fees for HGVC Bookings:
"Home Week" -- Complimentary.
"Club" Online – $55 Changeable.
"Club" by Phone – $ 82 Non-Changeable or $107 Changeable.
Optional fee for cancellation protection - $59.

If booked online, changes must be made online (unless the system is down).
Changes are unlimited, but less than 30 days out, point penalties will apply
... unless your change uses the same or more points.

Thanks. The problem I have is that I want to go to HH, so I have to book over the phone.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

So, when does the 276 days prior to checkout start? Midnight EST?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So, when does the 276 days prior to checkout start? Midnight EST?

or EDT... Whatever time it is in Orlando.
HGVC's main office is on Metrowest Blvd in Orlando.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
or EDT... Whatever time it is in Orlando.
HGVC's main office is on Metrowest Blvd in Orlando.

Thanks. This will be my first experience reserving online right when the reside window opens.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Logistically, how do you drop the early nights you don't need? Is it as simple as clicking modify and entering a new check in date?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Logistically, how do you drop the early nights you don't need? Is it as simple as clicking modify and entering a new check in date?

yes, there has previously been a problem with changing reservations in both the old and new systems (this has been reported by several people including myself). If they haven't gotten it fixed, you can always call it in to change reservations.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes, there has previously been a problem with changing reservations in both the old and new systems (this has been reported by several people including myself). If they haven't gotten it fixed, you can always call it in to change reservations.

It seems like the problem is fixed. I just started making the resies I need. If you go to change reservation, it lets you select new dates (new site) :whoopie:. I'll add nights tomorrow.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
It seems like the problem is fixed.

That is wonderful news. I am glad it is fixed (and you were able to make your reservation). I much prefer to make my reservations/changes online.

I also had to make a specific reservation/dates recently which I did the same thing.

I have been very happy to learn all of the tricks and rules here on TUG concerning HGVC reservation system.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I recently called in a reservation at a SW Florida affiliate.
They had 3 days available at the tail end of my window, and said...
If I paid the changeable fee, I could call back each day to add another.

I wasn't gonn'a... I decided to wait and take my chances.
I waited for 4 days, called again, and luckily, 7 days were now open.
For us it's a 4-hour drive. We will be there come what may.