• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I analyzing my needs correctly?

my cat's mom

Reaction score
Hi everyone: This is a great website and I have found some very helpful information. Thanks to all!

My husband and I went to a Wyndham presentation on Friday in Las Vegas accepted their offer of 200,000 points on a 20 month trial basis. This is called the "Discovery Club" I believe. We paid $2,0000 for this.

After learning more about the system we feel that we would use the RCI "Last Call" option more since we tend to travel last minute. This is not part of the Discovery options since we do not have the RCI membership.

I am seeing a lot of posts involving points and timeshares but don't want to be saddled with the higher maintenance costs associated with a timeshare but feel that we would use points and would like to purchase points from a resale.

Am I missing something in my analysis or for our needs is this correct?

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
RESCIND TODAY .. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

PS... Very limited time to rescind --- do not think, just rescind and figure out the best thing for your family AFTER you become educated. And there are NO EXCUSES -- as for tomorrow, you might get hit by a train or airplane (and not die -- just left with a big old loan bill from Wyndham for this timeshare purchase).

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have set the hook in you to get you back for another "beating up" after you find out how great Wyndham is. Of course, the $2K will be applied to your purchase.

200K Wyndham points would have average MF of around $1,100.

There have been discussions here on buying a small Wyndham contract resale as it will include "free" RCI membership in $118 POA fee. But if you do several last calls probably worth it.

You should be able to get 77K points free here or on e-bay and MF would be about $500. So add 1/4 of that to last call amount and you have cost for four vacations.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
what kind of trips do you see yourself doing with last calls? These aré full weeks that range in the $200-$300 range and are either off season or 2nd or third teir resorts in less demand locations or very over built locations. like Orlando.

my cat's mom

Reaction score
I fly for an airline and fly standby which means our chances of getting on a flight are better in the off season. With family in Germany I believe we would use something around that area. Also, for the states, something to rent and share with family members such as sisters or our children.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am seeing a lot of posts involving points and timeshares but don't want to be saddled with the higher maintenance costs associated with a timeshare but feel that we would use points and would like to purchase points from a resale.

Am I missing something in my analysis or for our needs is this correct?

I will merely point out (...no pun intended) that all "points" products have associated annual maintenance fees too. You don't avoid those fees by buying a "points only" product instead of a specific interval or "timeshare". You may understand that fact already, but the blue highlighted portion of your post just made me wonder... :ponder:

In any case, I would rescind your $2k "trial" purchase. Too much money for too little product, at least IMnsHO.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you cancel a Discovery Package?

It is not a deeded or RTU time share so mandatory rescission law would not apply

You have contracted to give Wyndham $2K or$10.00 a thousand in return for 200K points worth of of lodging and doing another sales pitch.

I know this has been discussed before but cannot find a definitive answer.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I (somewhat tentatively) disagree...

It is not a deeded or RTU time share so mandatory rescission law would not apply

Personally, I believe that because it is a developer-direct timeshare product offering that it can indeed be rescinded, regardless of the fact that it is not a deeded product or RTU contract (...as I think about it however, it actually might be just another "flavor" of RTU, but I don't think that distinction even matters).
Then again, Nevada law is admittedly as foreign and unknown to me as Mars.

Rescission is worth promptly attempting, in any case.

Last edited:

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can't argue with give olde college try as is a bummer. $10.00/ thousand???

Hopefully OP will weigh in with what wording, if any' documents contain relating to canceling/rescinding!

my cat's mom

Reaction score
The Truth in Lending Disclosure does allow for a 5 day Recession period and today is the day we need to send the Letter. I know, Certified, Return Receipt Requested.......

We do like the program but, of course, want the RCI Last Call option and to find a lower price. The location of most of the Wyndham resorts is just not exactly what we are looking for and being with the Airlines, we are blessed with room discounts that are close to what we would pay under the "Discovery Program".

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Truth in Lending Disclosure does allow for a 5 day Recession period and today is the day we need to send the Letter. I know, Certified, Return Receipt Requested.......

I hope you already put it in the mail system .....

We do like the program but, of course, want the RCI Last Call option and to find a lower price. The location of most of the Wyndham resorts is just not exactly what we are looking for and being with the Airlines, we are blessed with room discounts that are close to what we would pay under the "Discovery Program".

Don't get sentimental - except for your $2000 - pull the rescission trigger!

Do it now!

:)

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I fly for an airline and fly standby which means our chances of getting on a flight are better in the off season. With family in Germany I believe we would use something around that area. Also, for the states, something to rent and share with family members such as sisters or our children.

Looking right now, I see only one studio for Germany, it sleeps 2. RCI lists it as a silver crown. Those tend to be mediocre.

In the states, as long as you don't intend to stay in a popular resort during a popular time, you can probably find something. It really depends where you want to go. I live in California and there has never been anything in Last Call that I would stay at within driving distance. I know you mentioned flying, but I'm not convinced there will be anything nicer anywhere else.

Make sure you know what you are getting into before doing any purchase with the sole intention of using Last Calls, unless you are not picky at all about where you stay.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Letter is in the mail......thanks for the advise!

Good job! I think you will find you can rent from TUGers or other TS owners and get a feel for the systems/locations you like. You won't get the nuances of making points bookings yourself, but at least you will have a better idea of what to expect in terms of service/quality/pricing before you take the purchase plunge (if you ever do).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy ANY TS that exchanges through RCI and buy (rent) those Last Calls. So a minimal point contract with a couple hundred $ MF gets your foot in the door. Rumor also has it that you can sell or give away the TS and RCI won't ask as long as you keep up the membership. You can continue booking Last Calls and Extra Vacays for cash. Buy you didn't hear that from me.

Jim

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy ANY TS that exchanges through RCI and buy (rent) those Last Calls. So a minimal point contract with a couple hundred $ MF gets your foot in the door. Rumor also has it that you can sell or give away the TS and RCI won't ask as long as you keep up the membership. You can continue booking Last Calls and Extra Vacays for cash. Buy you didn't hear that from me.

Jim

I have a triennial GrandView like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-333-RCI-...41353732806?pt=Timeshares&hash=item20e956cac6

The MF is only $117 on the advertized one (mine is slightly lower ??).
I am able to buy 20 (or 40 if I want) extra vacations per year for basically the exchange fee (and of course the RCI membership fee).

I used to have over 250K RCI Points - I gave them all away till I'm down to 16K because of this over-availability of vacations.

I also have heard of people keeping their account after giving away all their RCI timeshares :shrug: .

Last edited: