• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Would you take a 1 year old to STT?

travelmom11

Reaction score
We are just back from Koolina and we have a 10 month old (and 6 year old) and I think I forgot how hard/different a beach vacation can be on a baby. The sun, sand, boredom, etc. lol We are slated to go to STT in Dec and already have our exchange. We LOVE Koolina and are so thankful to have the huge resort to walk around (birds, koi, etc) and the island to do many kids things besides the beach. After this last trip we are questioning if STT would be good fit for our 1 year old? We have never been to the Caribbean. Is the resort big like MKO and fun things to walk around and do with baby? any insight would be wonderful especially if you have taken a little one to STT. and if you have another suggestion that would be good for a Dec exchange, I would welcome that ( its for my 40th bday)

and going without our kiddos is not an option. :) I waited too long to have them to go on vacation without them. lol

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are just back from Koolina and we have a 10 month old (and 6 year old) and I think I forgot how hard/different a beach vacation can be on a baby. The sun, sand, boredom, etc. lol We are slated to go to STT in Dec and already have our exchange. We LOVE Koolina and are so thankful to have the huge resort to walk around (birds, koi, etc) and the island to do many kids things besides the beach. After this last trip we are questioning if STT would be good fit for our 1 year old? We have never been to the Caribbean. Is the resort big like MKO and fun things to walk around and do with baby? any insight would be wonderful especially if you have taken a little one to STT. and if you have another suggestion that would be good for a Dec exchange, I would welcome that ( its for my 40th bday)

and going without our kiddos is not an option. :) I waited too long to have them to go on vacation without them. lol

You are going to find MFC to be a far different experience than MKO. I haven't been to MFC, but St Thomas isn't the kind of place you go to to hang out only at the resort. The USVI and all the fabulous sights and beaches are meant to be explored. I don't think there is much withing walking distance except for the Marriott hotel. I don't think walking is intuitive at MFC like it is around the Ko'Olina resort complex.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I would not take a one-year-old to Frenchmans Cove.

The Hawaii properties are well-suited for young children, but I don't think there's enough to entertain a baby/family at MFC. Others may differ, but that's my own view.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Recognizing that I've already commented above, I do believe a couple of TUGgers have done this.

My recollection is that it is most often grandparents who are bringing their children and grandchildren. I don't think that is the situation you're describing, but that is a possibility here.

Best,

Greg

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
We have taken a 2 year old and a 5 month old there and it worked fine because we had a lot of other kids with us to entertain them but MFC is not a stroller-friendly place. We have vacationed with 4 and 5 month-olds frequently - in the Caribbean many times - and it has worked fine. We just have never thought of gearing the vacation for an infant since it is a group of 16 of us. Plenty of people around to take care of them.

Best place ever, though, was Beaches in Jamaica. Complete nanny service, check them in and out of the nursery as needed and the nannies were fabulous - 4 nannies to care for 1 baby! We can't afford that anymore now that we've grown to 16 from those early days of having just 1 grandchild.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as chikungunya it's in the continental US and Italy and France as well. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Taking a 10 month old on vacation would not be my idea of fun in the sun. MFC would be a particularly difficult place to do it in my opinion. There just isn't a lot of open space to walk around, especially with a stroller. If MKO worked for you I would go back there or pick a another resort like Ocean Pointe that is considerably more friendly for infants.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I don't get it. We've taken our kids and grand kids to all types of resorts. We find things age appropriate for all of them, either out and about or in our unit.

We just got back for Edisto Island with a 1 yr. old and he did fine. Took him to the beach, to the pools, and did things in the room. No one thing for too long at a time.

Really no different than finding things for him to do while at home.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This depends on the OP attitude to travelling with kids. It's safe. Just will be a little more awkward. Using an ergo not a stroller. Etc

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think the challenge for going to STT (presumably MFC) is STT is very hilly, not suitable for a stroller. Also, MFC is relatively smaller compared to MKO, especially if you take the whole Ko Olina resort (including Disney Aulani) into consideration which has nicely paved walkways all around. That said, beaches in STT are fabulous. You can take the free shuttles to Marriott hotel and its facilities. St John is a trip you also should consider.
Overall, you can make it to work, it's just much harder than going to MKO with a baby.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
As far as chikungunya it's in the continental US and Italy and France as well. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Taking a 10 month old on vacation would not be my idea of fun in the sun. MFC would be a particularly difficult place to do it in my opinion. There just isn't a lot of open space to walk around, especially with a stroller. If MKO worked for you I would go back there or pick a another resort like Ocean Pointe that is considerably more friendly for infants.
I second Jim's suggestion for Ocean Pointe. 2 Christmases ago my wife invited her niece along with their 1 year old. They had a great time! Being on the west coast you may also want to consider Canyon Villas or Palm Springs or maybe Newport Coast.good luck and happy birthday inn advance!

Upon further thought, you may also want to consider Orlando. It might be an easier trade and you can't get any more kid friendly than that.

Last edited:

travelmom11

Reaction score
thank you all for your feedback. Our kids are amazing travelers but as it goes its just different with a smaller one (think I had forgotten). On our most recent trip I remembered how it can be somewhat limiting (beach time from the heat, etc), which is fine because then we enjoyed walking around the resort areas in a stroller. It hadn't even crossed my mind about MKO until we did Koolina. I was just so excited about our trade (have always wanted to go to the Caribbean) that I didn't think that far in advance. lol

and the reason we went to Koolina this time instead of the Caribbean was because of the virus. My 6 year old is immuno-compromised and my daughter is so little, I didn't want to risk it. this is another reason I am rethinking STT :(

So it may be Florida or maybe the Xmas markets in Europe (another on my list) :)

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

The only cases of the Chikungunya Virus in Italy, that I could find, are dated 2007 (I was there that year).

The case was close in 2009:

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-m...ngunya-virus-in-italy-case-nbsp-closed/717246

In May, 2014, we were in Italy for 2 weeks and Greece for a week, and this issue never came up before, during, or after the trip.

So far, according to the CDC, all of the US mainland cases are travel related, except for Florida.

Puerto Rico & the UCVI are reporting cases, especially PR:

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/geo/united-states.html

Mosquitoes luv that tropical Caribbean air.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My 6 year old is immuno-compromised and my daughter is so little, I didn't want to risk it. this is another reason I am rethinking STT :(

When you are home, most families spend most of their time in-doors, and overall, you have more control of your environment. On vacation, most families spend a lot more time outdoors, and have a higher exposure to mosquitos. With an immuno-compromised child, I would fear that the virus would be very serious if they caught it, and I wouldn't be comfortable putting them in an environment where the chance of getting bitten by an infected mosquito, would be much higher.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
When you are home, most families spend most of their time in-doors, and overall, you have more control of your environment. On vacation, most families spend a lot more time outdoors, and have a higher exposure to mosquitos. With an immuno-compromised child, I would fear that the virus would be very serious if they caught it, and I wouldn't be comfortable putting them in an environment where the chance of getting bitten by an infected mosquito, would be much higher.

+1 for this post. The health issues changes the equation.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

It is a definite concern in the Caribbean. Did you take a look at the link in post #7

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is a definite concern in the Caribbean. Did you take a look at the link in post #7

2 reported cases in the USVI (St Thomas & Marriott TS) and 2 reported cases in mainland "Florida" (Marriott TS's), attributed to local mosquitoes.

So, statistically speaking, if the OP/you goes to Florida, they/you have just as much chance of getting the Chikungunya Virus as they/you do staying at the Marriott TS on St Thomas in the USVI in the Caribbean. Just saying :shrug:

Looks like Aruba (another Marriott) has reported only 3 cases.

Sounds like St. Maarten is getting hit the worst, out of 1457 reported cases (no Marriott).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
2 reported cases in the USVI (St Thomas & Marriott TS) and 2 reported cases in mainland "Florida" (Marriott TS's), attributed to local mosquitoes.

So, statistically speaking, if the OP/you goes to Florida, they/you have just as much chance of getting the Chikungunya Virus as they/you do staying at the Marriott TS on St Thomas in the USVI in the Caribbean. Just saying :shrug:

Looks like Aruba (another Marriott) has reported only 3 cases.

Sounds like St. Maarten is getting hit the worst, out of 1457 reported cases (no Marriott).

I agree that the risk is small and I wouldn't use the virus as a reason not to visit one of the Caribbean Islands. However, it seems that the virus is spreading. With two locally transmitted cases in Florida, it is only a matter of time before it is 10, 50, 100 if it takes hold in the local mosquito population.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree that the risk is small and I wouldn't use the virus as a reason not to visit one of the Caribbean Islands. However, it seems that the virus is spreading. With two locally transmitted cases in Florida, it is only a matter of time before it is 10, 50, 100 if it takes hold in the local mosquito population.

We don't have a lot of mosquitoes in Las Vegas (too dry & too hot) and we need your $$. So everybody come to LV this year for vacation & skip the Caribbean and Florida, so I can keep my taxes low.

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only cases of the Chikungunya Virus in Italy, that I could find, are dated 2007 (I was there that year).

The case was close in 2009:

http://www.wellsphere.com/general-m...ngunya-virus-in-italy-case-nbsp-closed/717246

In May, 2014, we were in Italy for 2 weeks and Greece for a week, and this issue never came up before, during, or after the trip.

So far, according to the CDC, all of the US mainland cases are travel related, except for Florida.

Puerto Rico & the UCVI are reporting cases, especially PR:

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/geo/united-states.html

Mosquitoes luv that tropical Caribbean air.

Not sure what your point is here. When they say a case is travel related that means someone acquired it while traveling in a country where the virus is active. When that person returns to his home country and gets bitten by a mosquito and that mosquito passes it on to someone else it's no longer travel related it's endemic. That's what's happening in Florida. It can easily spread to the rest of the US or anywhere else for that matter.