• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Another passport question! (infant traveling in Dec 07)

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, our son is not quite here yet (still a bun in the oven) and we were wondering how long it will take to get his passport.

When our daughter was born, we had to wait a few weeks to get her Social Security number before we could apply for the passport in preparation for our trip to Israel (which we did not make due to the fighting going on between Lebanon and Israel at that time!)

This time, we are on a much more limited timeframe. Our son is due end of August -- it will take a few weeks to get his SS# so that puts us at mid- to late-September before we can apply for his passport. And then at that time, we'll have just about 3 months (12-weeks) to get his passport in time for our Xmas trip to Cabo.

I'm thinking there is no way around expedited processing just to be sure. But I also worry if that is even enough time?

Your thoughts and experience appreciated.

Deer Path

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just did expedited passport renewal and got ours back in about 2 weeks. We might have had time to get it before our next trip but it was well worth the extra money to know we would have it on time. On the other hand you might have time as by then things may be settled down so there is not as much of a backlog. They say they have hired many extra people and of course now is the busy time with summer travel.

Good Luck,

Judy

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Judy.

We are concerned of the recent reports that it is taking 3 or 4 months to process even with expedited processing. Hopefully they will get through this backlog when it comes time for us to apply!

Thanks again!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
2 weeks for expedited

We paid for expedited service for our kids' renewals back in May, and got the passports back in 2 weeks.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 weeks seems like the current estimated processing time for expedited processing. Great news! Thanks!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
You can also get the birth Cert faster. Every hospital has to have submitted the appropriate info to the county with in a short timeframe. You could then visit the county and get a hardship BC faster instead of waiting for it to be mailed to you. This also negates needing a notary to verify your signature to apply for the BC.

I would call the county now and find out the exact procedure for obtaining a birth certificate in an expediated manner.:hi:

Pam

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pam, we can still use a birth certificate in place of a Passport of travel to/from Mexico?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I am not sure about that but don't you need the BC to get a passport in the first place?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I think you have to have the passport by December. They lifted the requirement for a short time, but you had to prove that you had applied for the passport by a certain date.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know how long ago you applied for your daughter (make sure hers it up to date now!), but requirements may not be the same at this point. You will need the following:

1 - passport application (obvious)
2 - proof of citizenship (the birth certificate)
3 - proof of parental relationship (again, the birth certificate)
4 - proof of parental identity (your picture ID, such as drivers license or passport)
5 - BOTH parents plus child present to apply, or notarized parental consent. The baby must appear in person to apply - period!

You can apply without the SSN, if you don't have it yet (see Question 6):
https://pptform2.state.gov/FAQ/FAQ.aspx#A6

I would get an expedited birth certificate, and then apply for an expedited passport. The current wait on the expedited passports is 2-3 weeks. If it gets too close, make an appointment (within 2 weeks of travel), at the closest passport agency (there are 14 total, in large cities).

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI - passport processing was speedy .. 2 weeks!

Just as an update, we applied for our son's passport in mid-September (immediately after we received his official birth certificate.) We received the passport via FedEx LESS THAN 2 WEEKS LATER!

Also, we did not request expedited processing! This was done via regular processes. I can only guess that it means passport processing is currently all caught up.

SuzKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here,

My sister applied for passport three weeks ago without paying expedited fee. She got the passport in mail today.

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just as an update, we applied for our son's passport in mid-September (immediately after we received his official birth certificate.) We received the passport via FedEx LESS THAN 2 WEEKS LATER!

Also, we did not request expedited processing! This was done via regular processes. I can only guess that it means passport processing is currently all caught up.

Congratulations! We received the passport for our littlest (an infant when we applied) within three weeks as well, when everyone else was taking a few months. I thought it was because they have less history, thus pretty easy to check.