• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Earthquake at 8:10 in Central CA

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, you won't have to worry. We've had it all now. :D
I would have suggested alien invasion, but the city canceled the annual Halloween street party in the Castro.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I would have suggested alien invasion, but the city canceled the annual Halloween street party in the Castro.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Do they really think no one will show up? :cool:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You can tell I moved away. The barn is on Mariposa & Bryant. Where's the Whole Foods? I remember when the Safeway shopping center opened, and when the Costco opened nearby. We used to sneak out on weekends to get hot dogs for lunch (when we weren't running downstairs to buy tomales or ice cream from the vendors).

Fern

Fern,

17th runs parallel to Mariposa. Do you mean the barn at 17th and Bryant?

Btw, there is a Whole Foods here now. Safeway at the Potrero Center has an entire organic section to keep from losing customers.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else feel the aftershock around 3:55pm today? Several of us in the office (in Cupertino) felt something and sure enough, same spot as last night and it was a magnitude 3.7.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can tell I moved away. The barn is on Mariposa & Bryant. Where's the Whole Foods? I remember when the Safeway shopping center opened, and when the Costco opened nearby. We used to sneak out on weekends to get hot dogs for lunch (when we weren't running downstairs to buy tomales or ice cream from the vendors).

Fern

That huge empty lot at 17th and Rhode Island -- yes, the entire block! -- is Whole Foods and its parking garage on the 1st and 2nd floors. Condos up above.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Darn, I missed the whole thing! Last night, I just got back from San Diego and was in the car leaving SJC airport. The news lady announced on the air that she just experienced an earthquake. Since I was about to get on the freeway, I didn't pull aside and stop. I tried to call my hubby and the cellphone didn't work! I guess too many people were calling at the same time.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice the aftershock this afternoon either. Do you work for Apple or HP? I live in Cupertino.

Did anyone else feel the aftershock around 3:55pm today? Several of us in the office (in Cupertino) felt something and sure enough, same spot as last night and it was a magnitude 3.7.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I didn't notice the aftershock this afternoon either. Do you work for Apple or HP? I live in Cupertino.

On a Saturday a few weeks after the Loma Prieta quake a group of us were working in our offices in Walnut Creek. I was listening to the Stanford game on the radio. The announcers suddenly stopped announcing the game and said they were having a significant aftershock.

I got on the office intercom and told people to get ready for an aftershock. About 30 seconds later it hit.

Some of my co-workers were amazed at how I knew it was coming. I did 'fess up.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Well, since we are talking about earthquakes, here's my experience from The Quake of 1989. Its a report I did for work after the earthquake. It was part of my department's report on the quake, and later became part of The City's permanent archive. If you read down the page, you'll see that Jerry did a report, too.

Fern

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shaker

We were up in Lake Tahoe enjoying some of our bonus days at the Ridge Tahoe. Our daughter called from her computer class in Lathrop to tell us what happened!

Said it went about 45 seconds and moved tables and computers around pretty good!

We went through some good size ones living in Half Moon Bay Ca for years but she said this was just as bad as any of those! :eek:

bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
earthquake

I sure felt it in Stockton! I know have a large crack in my dining room wall that I don't remember being there before last night.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Intensity is much more related to local geology than it is to proximity to the actual earthquake location. During the 1986 Loma Prieta quake, for example, the most intense shaking occurred in waterfront areas in Oakland and San Francisco, not in the south Bay close to the epicenter. During the 1904 San Francisco quake, Stockton had much more intense shaking than did areas of San Francisco such as Twin Peaks and Potrero.

See here and here. You felt it more in Modesto because much of the soil in the Modesto area is loose sedimentary soil. Areas on the west side of Modesto, where there is shallow groundwater, should have had the most intense shaking in the Modesto area.

Santa Cruz was hit very hard by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Santa Cruz was hit very hard by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Yes, Santa Cruz was hard hit, but the highest intensities occurred on the Oakland, Emeryville, and Berkeley waterfront areas. The bedrock formations in the Bay area created a focal point for the seismic waves in that area.

There was a perfect storm combination of loosely placed and uncompacted fills, shallow ground, and the focusing of the waves. Five miles north or south of the Emeryville area along the waterfront, the intensities dropped greatly, even though the other conditions were identical. That's because the waves were focused in the Emeryville area.

At the time the quake hit I was in Emeryville, in a car stopped in traffic on Shellmound Street, one half block north of Powell. I saw waves moving across the ground surface that were three to four feet high, peak to trough. I also observed that the waves were coming from several different directions. I made specific note of that because of that is unusual - seismic waves are start at the epicenter and move outward in a progression, just as sound waves do.

I puzzled at the time and for several years afterwards about why I had observed that. When the seismological studies of the quake were published it became clear. I was in the focal zone and the waves were coming from different directions as they reflected off of the bedrock.

Last edited: