• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

SVN Owner Exchanges

conkyjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

As owners of your week (we are not owners, yet :eek: ), what is the best practice in exchanging with other SVN owners? Thru TUG or thru mystarwoodcentral?

What is the best practice to exchange with other TS owners (non Starwood)?

Thanks,

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am not aware of a private exchange board at mystarcentral.com???

Did you know there is a free private exchange board in the Classified Ads Board on TUG? We are doing our first private exchange with another Tugger in 2007. We each simply had the resort send the other person the reservation in their name. Clean and easy.

If you are trying to exchange for Maui, Harborside, or St. John, your only viable option is to try for a Staroption exchange, because an owner at one of those 3 resorts is very unlikely to want to make a private exchange for a lesser property.

Last edited:

myip

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a yahoo group list for direct owner starwood exchange?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
myip said:
Isn't there a yahoo group list for direct owner starwood exchange?

Yes, but unfortunately, it hasn't been successful.

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
!!

I think the reason the direct exchange board hasn't been successful is that there are too many Hawaii owners who want to go elsewhere. There are a few other factors at work, too: the StarOptions system is terribly out-of-whack in terms of values of some resorts (i.e. St John) versus others (i.e. Hawaii). Many more people want to go to Harborside and St John than want to go to Hawaii, I think, because alot of the Harborside/St John owners live in the eastern half of the US and don't want to fly to Hawaii, and they love their home resorts and don't want to go anywhere else. When I can one day direct trade my THREE bedroom, PRIVATE POOL WSJ for an equivalent (in my mind) Harborside or, when my five year old is older - Hawaii/Maui property, then I will. Until then, we'll just keep using our 2 weeks in St John.

I also find it amusing that people think I would willingly trade my three bedroom property for a one bedroom - why do you think I spent the money for the three bedroom?!!

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I don't think I could be persuaded to trade my WSJ 3 bedroom Hillside for one of the to-be-built, newer WSJ 3 bedrooms simply because we enjoy our private pool and courtyard too much; the newer units don't have them.

JMO, of course, feel free to disagree.

Lori

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Loriannf said:
I think the reason the direct exchange board hasn't been successful is that there are too many Hawaii owners who want to go elsewhere. There are a few other factors at work, too: the StarOptions system is terribly out-of-whack in terms of values of some resorts (i.e. St John) versus others (i.e. Hawaii). Many more people want to go to Harborside and St John than want to go to Hawaii, I think, because alot of the Harborside/St John owners live in the eastern half of the US and don't want to fly to Hawaii, and they love their home resorts and don't want to go anywhere else. Lori

To expand on that thought. Another reason is there are alot of resorts in Hawaii, three in Starwood with two more in the works. There is only one in Atlantis, which is not just a timeshare resort, but just a small part of a huge resort that has amenities like none other. And St John, a private slice of heaven with no other competition, except one other resort. 2/3 national park helps keep growth in check.

tsl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Loriannf said:
I think the reason the direct exchange board hasn't been successful is that there are too many Hawaii owners who want to go elsewhere. There are a few other factors at work, too: the StarOptions system is terribly out-of-whack in terms of values of some resorts (i.e. St John) versus others (i.e. Hawaii). Many more people want to go to Harborside and St John than want to go to Hawaii, I think, because alot of the Harborside/St John owners live in the eastern half of the US and don't want to fly to Hawaii, and they love their home resorts and don't want to go anywhere else. When I can one day direct trade my THREE bedroom, PRIVATE POOL WSJ for an equivalent (in my mind) Harborside or, when my five year old is older - Hawaii/Maui property, then I will. Until then, we'll just keep using our 2 weeks in St John.

I also find it amusing that people think I would willingly trade my three bedroom property for a one bedroom - why do you think I spent the money for the three bedroom?!!

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I don't think I could be persuaded to trade my WSJ 3 bedroom Hillside for one of the to-be-built, newer WSJ 3 bedrooms simply because we enjoy our private pool and courtyard too much; the newer units don't have them.

JMO, of course, feel free to disagree.

Lori

Although I haven't made an exchange on the Starwood board yet, I will. I will only direct trade our Harborside unit. So far, I have used the TUG board for my direct trades and it has been a wonderful experience.

I think you are correct we buy where we want to go. I would love to go to St. John someday but when we do go, we will probably go w/o our pre-teen kids. Hubby and I would love a quiet week on the beach but our kids would be bored in St. John b/c they love the none stop activity at Atlantis (which sometimes wears me out) and close in second place would be Hawaii. I wish St. John had lock offs so there would be more to trade b/c I don't need a large unit (in fact a studio would be fine for me and hubby) but you are right that larger unit owners like you wouldn't want to trade for a smaller unit at Atlantis. That may make direct trades into St. John harder for all.

As for the Westin on Maui, I have never stayed there, but I spent time there when my friend stayed at the Westin and I was at the Marriott timeshare. Westin is by far the nicest place on Maui and one of the top places in Hawaii. I do want to stay there someday.

Isn't it wonderful to have to have so many hard choices to make between these resorts??

Sign me---currently planning my 2008 vacations................:)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Perhaps someone can remind me why the 'below-the-radar' Starwood Direct Exchange board needs to be kept separate from TUG - or to ask another way - since there are so many SVO/SVN owners here - why not just have an open forum for direct exchanges? or a separate Starwood Discusion board where possible direct exchanges can be openly discussed?

Not sure which 'rule' this would break???

just asking...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
blujahz said:
Perhaps someone can remind me why the 'below-the-radar' Starwood Direct Exchange board needs to be kept separate from TUG - or to ask another way - since there are so many SVO/SVN owners here - why not just have an open forum for direct exchanges? or a separate Starwood Discusion board where possible direct exchanges can be openly discussed?

Not sure which 'rule' this would break???

just asking...

There are no forums on TUG where you can openly discuss direct exchanges. But there is a direct exchange board in the classifieds. I believe the reason is to keep the boards as noncommercial as possible. If you look at the last minute rental boards you will see why - non-members (and some members) post non-compliants offers there on a daily basis.