• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ladies have you read a book lately that you couldn't put down?

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am reading "the Moment" right now too!! I will be finish it today! Wow! what a great book! Douglas Kennedy is my new favorite author! Brilliant!

Men would love this book too!!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm about two-thirds through "Sister - A Novel" by Rosamund Lipton. It's a letter written from one sister to another who is missing. Very good. My 30yo niece recommended it.

I've also made my way through a few of the next books in Jennifer Chiaverini's "Elm Creek Quilters" series. Love these for light reading! The series follows a contemporary timeline but a few books in between delve into specific historical emphasis (the Underground Railroad, early American stake-holding, etc) and a few concentrate on specific holidays.

Last edited:

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh Good! I will have to read that one! Love to hear about new good books!

sammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since we were vacationing in Hilton Head for the first time last month, I picked up travel guides for the area and for Savannah which several TUGGERs had suggested for a day trip.

The travel guides suggested reading 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' as an intro to Savannah. I am so glad I took up the suggestion. I expected it to be somewhat dull and too historical for me, but much to the contrary it was a real treat on many levels. I was excited to visit Savannah after reading this colorful true crime mystery full of intriguing characters and unexpected twists and turns. But even for those who have no interest in Savannah whatsoever, this is highly recommended!

I also finally read "The Great Gatsby" at the beach and enjoyed it as well.

Last edited:

neash

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read Veiled Freedom on my way back from Hawaii last week. Unputdownable. I had to finish it before i could resume normal life at home. Thank goodness it was a weekend :)

The book is about a social worker in Afghanistan. Eye opening. There is a fair bit of religous stuff in there - comparing Christian and Islam religions, but I liked that part too, it helped me understand the situation there.

The book was free for kindle when I got it, I don't think it is free anymore.

akbmusic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, deceased 2004, a mystery set in Sweden. What a book! Am now starting The Girl Who Played With Fire by the same author. Will then go on to the last in the series, The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest.

I loved the Stieg Larsson trilogoy! All of them were riveting and the characters were intriguing. Ijust finished "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" by Tom Franklin a couple of days ago and still think about it. It was one of the best story lines I have come across in a long time. I enjoyed the complexity of the characters and cared about all of them by the end of the book. It was an excellent read.
Even though it was aimed at a high school audience, I also enjoyed reading the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had a bad summer, I am very limited to what I can do. i have read about 35 novels and seen at least 25 movies thru Netflix, and probably played a thousand games of freecell. so I will be looking for some of these new titles.

vkrn

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone read The Year They Left Home by Anne Thompson? I heard it was good. Haven't read it yet. I think it is my next read.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reading all of the Game of Thrones books after the superb TV rendition of the first book on HBO. Cannot put them down! On book 3 now...

Katherine

bass

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lady Blue Eyes by Barbara Sinatra.

Nancy

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This one is really good too!!
One amazing thing / Chitra Divakaruni.

MomoD

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for some light hearted reading and an out loud chuckle, I highly recommend Janet Evanovich. There are now 18 books that follow on from one another. It's about a female bounty hunter. These books are so funny and the ideal pool/beach/pick me up book. Hope you enjoy the read.

Mauree

tlwmkw

Reaction score
"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. It is set in the future and is a little bit like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with a suspense/mystery element but more for adults. Lots of fun and lots of references to the 1980's and all the pop culture from that time. Good one to read on the beach- light. A little bit of romance thrown in there too.

tlwmkw

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adventures Beyond the Body: How to Experience Out-of-Body Travel
by William Buhlman

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
In a Girls-Only World, A Land of Brainy Beauty

In a Girls-Only World, A Land of Brainy Beauty - by Tahmima Anam/NPR Books/NPR.org

Tahmima Anam reviews 'Sultana's Dream' a book by Rokeya Sokawat Hossain

Tahmima writes: "I became fascinated by the life of its author, Rokeya Sakhawat Hossain, when I learned that, like me, she had been raised by a progressive Muslim family and actively encouraged to seek an education.

It is hard to believe this book was published in 1905 by a young woman in colonial India. It is one of the earliest known modern depictions of a feminist utopia — the story of a make-believe world called Ladyland in which gender roles are reversed: There the women are free to work and hold positions of power, while the men are kept sequestered in prisons called mardanas (this is a play on words — in Hossain's time, women were relinquished to a part of the house called zenana, and mard is the Urdu word for man)."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just read The Help and I really enjoyed it. I also just read the Christmas Wedding by James Patterson. It's a quick read, but everyone can skip it. It's like a magazine short story. Pretty stupid.

Another recent Patterson book that I did enjoy is "Kill me if you can." High action with a great story line with surprises.

The Bell Ringers was a choice of our library's book club. I just listened to the first disk out of 11 and I didn't care for it at all so it went back to the library. I've decided that there are too many good books out there to plod through one that you're not enjoying.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Outlander

I'm listening to the first, Outlander, based on its popularity here. Great concept and parts have been hard to set aside to get back to real life obligations but I've got to say, I'm no prude and I like a good love/sex scene now and then but for awhile there I thought I was going to quit reading it if it didn't move on past all the sexual encounters. Is there more to this book or is that it over and over and over again?

Also, are all the books in the series about the same characters, Claire and Jamie?

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm listening to the first, Outlander, based on its popularity here. Great concept and parts have been hard to set aside to get back to real life obligations but I've got to say, I'm no prude and I like a good love/sex scene now and then but for awhile there I thought I was going to quit reading it if it didn't move on past all the sexual encounters. Is there more to this book or is that it over and over and over again?

Also, are all the books in the series about the same characters, Claire and Jamie?

I'm finishing the third book and yes, Jamie and Claire are the central figures completely so far.

As for the sexual content, I have a Kindle, so I can flip through all that pretty quickly. It continues on. I would find it uncomfortable to listen to and I think, like you, I'm not a prude but just find it a bit much.

It's taken me a looooong time to get through the third book. I'll probably read something else for a while and come back to it. I don't find it hard to put down and then pick up a month later, frankly. But they're enjoyable stories.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

IIRC, the first book had the most love scenes. I actually enjoyed them. ;) The series is a lifetime of Jamie and Claire, their families, their adventures throughout Europe and into the New World.

These used to be my most anticipated books but the last one was a major turn off. Stop before you get to An Echo in the Bone. It was a tortuous few hundred pages of nothing happening and then a whole bunch of cliff hangers in the last couple chapters. So frustrating that I have given up on the series.

Deb

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for some light hearted reading and an out loud chuckle, I highly recommend Janet Evanovich. There are now 18 books that follow on from one another. It's about a female bounty hunter. These books are so funny and the ideal pool/beach/pick me up book. Hope you enjoy the read.

Mauree

I'love her books. My friend Kenny got so tickled at me reading it cause I was laughing like an idiot at the beach. Right now I'm reading Danielle Steel's Sisters. Very good.

When Borders went out of business I bought dozens of books, then my girlfriend gave me a whole bag full. I have more books that I will ever need in my lifetime.

shaggy