• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Aruba ROFR question

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't believe they are since they are now selling DC points in the Caribbean and they can't add these weeks to the trust.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't believe they are since they are now selling DC points in the Caribbean and they can't add these weeks to the trust.

Thanks. That's what I thought. I had a broker tell me that Marriott was exercising ROFR at a certain price point. They told me all (100%) of the units they sold at or under that price point Marriott bought back at MAO.

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Friends of ours who already own numerous gold weeks were trying to "steal" an extra week(their words). I don't know what the purchase price was but I do know that it would have been low since that is the way these guys have picked up other weeks. Marriott did exercise rofr and if my recall is right this would have been in Feb. This was the OC for a 1 bdrm if that helps.

SpikeMauler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Friends of ours who already own numerous gold weeks were trying to "steal" an extra week(their words). I don't know what the purchase price was but I do know that it would have been low since that is the way these guys have picked up other weeks. Marriott did exercise rofr and if my recall is right this would have been in Feb. This was the OC for a 1 bdrm if that helps.

Thanks, that does help. That would be consistent with what the broker was saying as the unit we were talking about was a 1br plat week at MAO. I believe the broker as I've dealt with them before and they seem like straight shooters. I was just curious if anyone here had Marriott swoop in and take their Aruba week. For some reason I thought Marriott never exercised ROFR with their Aruba resorts. Guess I was wrong...:ponder:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks, that does help. That would be consistent with what the broker was saying as the unit we were talking about was a 1br plat week at MAO. I believe the broker as I've dealt with them before and they seem like straight shooters. I was just curious if anyone here had Marriott swoop in and take their Aruba week. For some reason I thought Marriott never exercised ROFR with their Aruba resorts. Guess I was wrong...:ponder:

There perhaps is never a never. It seems that while they may exercise ROFR in Aruba, their price may just need to be a little lower or they may need to have a willing buyer to flip it for a quick sale.

Travelmore

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently purchased a couple weeks at the Marriott Aruba resorts, as did our friends. Neither of us have had any units taken back through ROFR.

There was one platinum 1 Bdr at the Aruba Ocean Club purchased in the group. If you want to post (or pm me) the price the broker mentioned, I may be able to provide some insight, based on our experience.

Luckybee

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't know if they are still doing it...like I said this was a while back in Feb or so....what I do know is that I expect the price was of the fire sale variety. These guys have managed to get some really really good bargains in the past so this could have been a one off situation.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
There perhaps is never a never. It seems that while they may exercise ROFR in Aruba, their price may just need to be a little lower or they may need to have a willing buyer to flip it for a quick sale.

Do we have any evidence since the DC was introduced that MVCI ever exercises ROFR and then re-sells the week as a week? I sometimes hear this here on TUG but I have never seen any evidence that it is true. I am of the opinion that ROFR is only exercised when Marriott wants the week for its own use or for the trust. If I am wrong I would appreciate knowing it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Do we have any evidence since the DC was introduced that MVCI ever exercises ROFR and then re-sells the week as a week? I sometimes hear this here on TUG but I have never seen any evidence that it is true. I am of the opinion that ROFR is only exercised when Marriott wants the week for its own use or for the trust. If I am wrong I would appreciate knowing it.

If they don't, I would wonder why they would ever exercise ROFR on any Aruba weeks. Unless they put them in to their own portfolio to rent them out on a nightly basis? If they don't sell weeks, why would they want to exercise ROFR otherwise?

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I bought one at the Surf Club a few months ago and it sailed right through quickly. The realtor didn't think it would have a problem. Maybe Marriott isn't as interested to RTU properties.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Links are not working.

If you are referring to ROFR Database, you are correct, it isn't working. It has been down for several months. I still don't have a long term solution to get it working again. I have removed the links to it from my signature, for now.

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
Thanks for the update and all your hard work. Hope it gets fixed soon or there is another source for this info.

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering picking up a 1 bdrm platinum @ Aruba Ocean Club. A T/S agent advised that I should be able to pick an Oceanview for $8K. This number seems to be validated by the fact that there are 3 such properties on Redweek in the $8.5K to $10K range. Has anyone heard of any recent exercised ROFR's on this property of late?

As well, does anyone have an opinion on what premium an Oceanfront would pull?

Thx

rickxylon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aruba Ocean Club
Aruba Surf Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Phuket Beach Club
I am considering picking up a 1 bdrm platinum @ Aruba Ocean Club. A T/S agent advised that I should be able to pick an Oceanview for $8K. This number seems to be validated by the fact that there are 3 such properties on Redweek in the $8.5K to $10K range. Has anyone heard of any recent exercised ROFR's on this property of late?

As well, does anyone have an opinion on what premium an Oceanfront would pull?

Thx

I just closed on a 1BR ocean view platinum for $8,500. Passed ROFR in less than 1 week back in February. Took this long because we we out of the country and unavailable to sign papers.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I just closed on a 1BR ocean view platinum for $8,500. Passed ROFR in less than 1 week back in February. Took this long because we we out of the country and unavailable to sign papers.

I bought a 3BR Gold last year for $12,000 and it passed quickly. I've heard that the Aruba properties can't go in the Trust so Marriott isn't as aggressive with ROFR.

Jo Jo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thx. For the ROFR information ... Much appreciated!

[Deleted duplicate info from other thread.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bac0s

TUG Member
Reaction score
we just closed on a 2 bedroom Lockout, ocean view, gold at Ocean Club for 5k a couple weeks ago.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
"How do you know a timeshare salesperson is lying? Their lips are moving..."

We got the update at Aruba Ocean Club last week. I am a points hog so I wanted the 20k MR points. We made it quick--not buying into DC at this time. A manager came over to bundle an Ocean Club week with DC points. Because "they are actively exercising ROFR on SC and OC resale weeks...."

Based on the info above, doesn't seem true.....

They still wanted $25k. The points would have been about $6.60 each + the week. But too much to invest for us now.