• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina unlimited drink mug

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
I just checked into Ko Olina on Sunday and was told that they no longer offer the free unlimited soda/coffee mugs to Marriott Rewards platinum members. I asked two different front desk people who couldn't tell me when they discontinued this giveaway, but I got one last April.

Has this happened to anyone else? I did get the standard 500 MR points.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I just checked into Ko Olina on Sunday and was told that they no longer offer the free unlimited soda/coffee mugs to Marriott Rewards platinum members. I asked two different front desk people who couldn't tell me when they discontinued this giveaway, but I got one last April.

I'm sad to hear this, was hoping that the few Hawaii resorts' practice of offering something other than the standard 500MRP as a Plat Arrival Gift would become a trend at the other resorts. Maybe somebody can report if there's also been a change at Maui Ocean Club?

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club

awww.. that just sucks! I didn't even know owners used to get this for FREE... We've stayed there but not as owners and I used to buy it for my kids downstairs at the market as they are worth it especially if you're staying for a few days.. I'm in the process of purchasing Ko'Olina now and bummed to hear that they used to have it for FREE for owners and now they dont.. darn!

Sherill

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
awww.. that just sucks! I didn't even know owners used to get this for FREE... We've stayed there but not as owners and I used to buy it for my kids downstairs at the market as they are worth it especially if you're staying for a few days.. I'm in the process of purchasing Ko'Olina now and bummed to hear that they used to have it for FREE for owners and now they dont.. darn!

Sherill

It's not an ownership perk; it's a perk of being Platinum status in the Marriott Rewards Program. Their guaranteed Arrival Gifts are usually 500MRP at the MVCI resorts but several years ago Ko 'Olina and MOC had expanded their offers to a list of choices that included the 500MRP or a Free Re-fillable Mug or something else.

spaulino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko'Olina Beach Club
It's not an ownership perk; it's a perk of being Platinum status in the Marriott Rewards Program. Their guaranteed Arrival Gifts are usually 500MRP at the MVCI resorts but several years ago Ko 'Olina and MOC had expanded their offers to a list of choices that included the 500MRP or a Free Re-fillable Mug or something else.

Oh ok.. Thanks SueDonJ...
Then I dont feel so bummed then cuz I'm not a platinum status in Marriotts Rewards Program... I guess I have to just keep buying them downstairs.. haha

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
I'll ask again when I sit through the presentation. But they'll probably tell me to ask the front desk who will then tell me the same thing.

Anyone have any questions they need answers to ?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

They stopped giving the mugs to platinum members sometime last year around august I believe. I asked about them and they said that it was costing to much. You now have as a platinum arrival gift of 500 MR points just like every other marriott. If you have any other questions just ask away as MKO is like a second home to me. :D

LAX Mom

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My experience matches what frank808 posted:

I stayed there in March 2014 and received the soda mug as a welcome gift for my Marriott Rewards platinum status.

Stayed there in October 2014 and was told the free mugs for platinum members had been discontinued.

Another stay in April 2015....no mug offered, received 500 MR points.

No complaints from me. I'm drinking a lot less diet Coke/ diet Pepsi! I'd prefer to pick up beverages at the grocery stores in Kapolei and have them cold in my refrigerator.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are the mugs still available if you want to spend money to buy them?

At Ocean Pointe you can purchase them for around $19.95 and have unlimited refills anywhere on the property. Likely not worth it for a one week stay, but more worth it if staying two weeks or longer.

When I was at Ocean Pointe in March 2015 they had run out of the actual 2015 Resort labeled cup and were using a generic tall plastic cup in lieu of. This leads me to believe that they may in fact be slowly phasing them out at some point.

dualrated2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Desert Springs Villas, Willow Ridge
Are the mugs still available if you want to spend money to buy them?

At Ocean Pointe you can purchase them for around $19.95 and have unlimited refills anywhere on the property. Likely not worth it for a one week stay, but more worth it if staying two weeks or longer.

When I was at Ocean Pointe in March 2015 they had run out of the actual 2015 Resort labeled cup and were using a generic tall plastic cup in lieu of. This leads me to believe that they may in fact be slowly phasing them out at some point.

They are available for purchase at around $34.95 which is why so many took them ILO of 500 points at checkin.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
What tower you are you in? Im in moana this week and move to naia this friday. Drinks and chat?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costing too much.....hrumpf. Those 2 cents worth of water & syrup were killing 'em.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
No big lose

Just another change to allow for a little more profit. As we all know the benefits of being a platinum member are decreasing. I honestly love Ko Olina with or without the mug. We usually buy drinks at Costco. The new management seem to be pretty awesome, let them know if you are un-happy. :banana:

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
Just another change to allow for a little more profit. As we all know the benefits of being a platinum member are decreasing. I honestly love Ko Olina with or without the mug. We usually buy drinks at Costco. The new management seem to be pretty awesome, let them know if you are un-happy. :banana:

It's too easy to attain plat so they have to limit what they give. 500 points is worth under 5 bucks!

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Getting elite night credit, arrival points and a small gift was never a benefit when I first purchased my timeshare in 95. That changed a few years ago though I do not remember the year. The elite night credit is a big deal when you factor in ownership, II non Marriott to Marriott and getaways.

Gold and Platinum on the hotel side (free upgrade and breakfast) are the main benefits of the MR program. The number of extra MR points for each dollars spent is a nice extra as is the use of the Visa rewards Card. The 500 points and arrival gift (it use to be one or the other) was never a bid deal.

With the split of MVCI from Hotels, I will be happy if the only change is the arrival gift. They could go back to the timeshare to MR points exchange as the only linkage with no elite night credit.

I do not know how Platinum stacks up to the equivalent in other hotel chains. I know that the MR program in general was and will continue to be devalued over time with the increase in hotel levels. To me, the upgrade and breakfast are nice features of the program (gold and platinum ). Any benefit to timeshare ownership is a gain as long as it adds nights to get someone there.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
All hotel loyalty programs are being watered down. Starwood is generally considerd the best (if you can afford their hotel prices and they have locations where you travel -- neither is usually the case for me). Hilton is my favorite, mainly because there's a Hilton Garden Inn just about everywhere I travel, and they give elites a free cooked to order breakfast. Marriott is next for me, primarily because timeshare stays count. Earning 15+ nights with their credit card and usually 35+ nights a year through timeshare stays, it's easy for me to reach Platinum status. Neither offers a lot for elite members, but you usually get special treatment.

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
Mug over elite nights

Getting elite night credit, arrival points and a small gift was never a benefit when I first purchased my timeshare in 95. That changed a few years ago though I do not remember the year. The elite night credit is a big deal when you factor in ownership, II non Marriott to Marriott and getaways.

Gold and Platinum on the hotel side (free upgrade and breakfast) are the main benefits of the MR program. The number of extra MR points for each dollars spent is a nice extra as is the use of the Visa rewards Card. The 500 points and arrival gift (it use to be one or the other) was never a bid deal.

With the split of MVCI from Hotels, I will be happy if the only change is the arrival gift. They could go back to the timeshare to MR points exchange as the only linkage with no elite night credit.

I do not know how Platinum stacks up to the equivalent in other hotel chains. I know that the MR program in general was and will continue to be devalued over time with the increase in hotel levels. To me, the upgrade and breakfast are nice features of the program (gold and platinum ). Any benefit to timeshare ownership is a gain as long as it adds nights to get someone there.

I think I'm I the opposite situation than some of you. I only have one timeshare, but am lifetime platinum, so the elite nights don't have any value to me, but the unlimited drink mug would be worth something to me.

I realize that it's much more difficult to get 7 elite nights than a $2 plastic mug that they charge $35 for, but everybody's situation is different.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I'm I the opposite situation than some of you. I only have one timeshare, but am lifetime platinum, so the elite nights don't have any value to me, but the unlimited drink mug would be worth something to me.

I realize that it's much more difficult to get 7 elite nights than a $2 plastic mug that they charge $35 for, but everybody's situation is different.

I think you're confusing two separate things. Elite Night credits are given to every Marriott Rewards member for all eligible Marriott stays; the Arrival Gift is a benefit for only Platinum MR members. This thread is about how MKO has stopped offering a re-fillable mug or anything other than 500MRP as an Arrival Gift. As a Lifetime Plat you should be getting the Elite Nights AND the 500MRP Arrival Gift. :)

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think he got that, but was just disappointed that the elite night credits (one of the perks for many of us) do him no good since he's lifetime Platinum.

Most likely I'm confused but it's the "much more difficult to get 7 Elite Nights ..." that's throwing me off. It's not difficult to get the Nights if you're eligible. :shrug:

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)

I agree that every situation if different and no one like a benefit taken away. I stay at Marriott hotels at least as much as timeshares. The room upgrade and concierge lounge access (or free weekend breakfast) is the benefit for Platinum membership (to me). Any timeshare benefit is a recent addition and the timeshare/hotel breakup can make that short lived.

I would bet that a call to the platinum desk might result in a 35 credit to you account. Worth a try.