• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

So frustrated trying to find decent airfare

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I consider myself to be pretty savvy when it comes to booking airfare. I have not been able to find decently priced airfare to Liberia, Costa Rica even though I started looking the day fares/FF seats became available. We can fly from any of 4 airports within a 3 hr drive. I've even looked at low cost carriers to NY and then flying from there. The lowest fare is in the mid $500's. That price has not moved since I started looking 3 mos ago. I have alerts on several sites. I've tried the airlines, travelocity, expedia, orbitz, yapta, travelzoo etc. Anyone have a secret site I might have missed?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I am not familiar with the market. Is that much higher than you have found other years? Are you looking during holiday times?

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I am not familiar with the market. Is that much higher than you have found other years? Are you looking during holiday times?

Mid $400's is more like it. In March but not during any holidays.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
As a somewhat frequent business traveler, I'm finding airfares to be at least 25% higher than in past years. It used to be I could get flights Milw to Vegas for around $250. This year, my flight for a work trip was $355!

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
We were frustrated by airfare to Costa Rica when traveling during fixed dates in Feb 2014. We found GREAT rates posted over the Thanksgiving weekend 2013. Phew! That was super late booking in my mind ... but the fare deals were spectacular. If I recall, I booked the flights on Thanksgiving day??

Hopefully you have a major "sale" window coming up ...

falmouth3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear you, Pat. Airfares to Grand Cayman for travel right now are great. For travel in a few months - pretty high. Also, the Hopper app says to buy now so I don't think they'll be heading downward by too much.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
You may want to keep an eye on Seret Flying http://www.secretflying.com/usa-deals/
They currently have a $259 RT fare from L.A. (which of course won't help you) and new deals come up often.
--------------------LOS ANGELES TO COSTA RICA FOR ONLY $259 ROUNDTRIP

Cheap flights from Los Angeles to San Jose, Costa Rica for only $259 roundtrip with Copa Airlines.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
You may want to keep an eye on Seret Flying http://www.secretflying.com/usa-deals/
They currently have a $259 RT fare from L.A. (which of course won't help you) and new deals come up often.
--------------------LOS ANGELES TO COSTA RICA FOR ONLY $259 ROUNDTRIP

Cheap flights from Los Angeles to San Jose, Costa Rica for only $259 roundtrip with Copa Airlines.

Yeah, how about flying to San Jose and then either getting the bus or driving, or looking for a flight from San Jose to Liberia?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Mid $400's is more like it. In March but not during any holidays.

March is prime spring break time. Airfare is always higher in March because of that. Mid-$500 doesn't sound so bad to me -- I have had to pay at least that to go anywhere in Mexico from Denver. Personally, I would be booking that flight now before the fares go up. Less competition due to mergers and more demand due to a stronger economy means higher prices. We best just get used to it, IMO.

Kurt

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Yeah, how about flying to San Jose and then either getting the bus or driving, or looking for a flight from San Jose to Liberia?

I would have to get to LA first so it wouldn't help unfortunately.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Has an ongoing search to see what would pop up and got a match to St. Marteen. Found airfare for $460 but we miss the first day because we don't get in until late. Going to change to St. Marteen. Thanks for all tour help.

brownhaired_girl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flights to LIR

Have you tried looking at Skiplagged. I have not had good luck on their mobile site, however, if you look at the main site and type in LIR and then not enter a destination, it will give you a price for many destinations for a given day. You can watch for a month out, every now and then and find the least expensive airport to connect. I am planning a trip to Costa Rica in January, I see the flights from MSP are now nonstop $314. Last fall around Thanksgiving they were $186. I check a couple times a week. You don't need to skip a section of the flight. The search area is just a nice place to look for a good jumping off place.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Has an ongoing search to see what would pop up and got a match to St. Marteen. Found airfare for $460 but we miss the first day because we don't get in until late. Going to change to St. Marteen. Thanks for all tour help.

So you aren't going to Costa Rica?

We went in March 2014 and airfare from NY to San Jose was $500-650 range plus 2 nature air flights (that was quite an experience, I never had flown in a plane with the windows open before :bawl:)
Friends flew Southwest direct from Baltimore DC area for under $500.
It is just not a cheap area to visit in our winter season.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you aren't going to Costa Rica?

,,,,,, It is just not a cheap area to visit in our winter season.

And I thought I was the only one that was having that thought

You're not going???

Thats the same question that occurred to me.. or as my grandmother might have said ... So you cut off your nose to spite your face.

Im glad someone opened this up.

For a few hundred dollars, the op would rather miss a day and at the last minute decide to go someplace else. and presumably loose the timeshare fees they paid

I booked a timeshare and don't want to lose my fees. I do have kayak set up with alerts.

Makes no sense to me..

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes no sense to me either. Once the place is booked the airfare difference is the cheap part.

If you live in a place that offers Avianca, Taca, Copa then flights can be very reasonable. But United, their star alliance partner in the US or silver airways in Florida is not going to want to fly you cheap to where you can fly on a competitor.

I am not sure about Costa Rica but supply has been cut in Latin America because of the high US dollar.

Pty - Mia, FLL, Tpa or MCO can be $500 or more. Unless one wants to fly spirit. Direct flights of just over 1100 miles.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
At $175 x 4 = $700, I don't consider that a few dollars. I didn't lose anything. RCI gave me a "one time exception" and refunded the exchange fee and full trading power. I'm sure if I hadn't had the other unit match, we would have bitten the bullet and paid the airfare to go to Costa Rica. There have been a few problems with the resort in CR so I didn't mind changing.