• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Southwest airlines

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Yep. They've reported on the evening news that Southwest is having lots of computer troubles today - flights are grounded, ticket agents have to write paper tickets, whatever else. I've been trying to book a flight all afternoon and their site just keeps spinning without ever showing me the regular page.

Dave

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Yes their flights were grounded nationwide yesterday (Wed, July 20) because of a major computer malfunction.

I was trying to get home from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale yesterday.

Our Flight from Austin,TX to FLL was delayed, delayed , delayed and then cancelled.

My wife & I are stranded in Austin. WE spent the night in a hotel on our dime. They told us to contact Soutwest.Com to request a refund.

Hopefully our flights (Austin to Dallas & Dallas to FLL) will fly today.

Will update later.

Richard

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Richard, sorry you were caught in this mess.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for all the folks having problems, I lucked out and flew on Tuesday instead of Wednesday - luck of the draw!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes their flights were grounded nationwide yesterday (Wed, July 20) because of a major computer malfunction.

I was trying to get home from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale yesterday.

Our Flight from Austin,TX to FLL was delayed, delayed , delayed and then cancelled.

My wife & I are stranded in Austin. WE spent the night in a hotel on our dime. They told us to contact Soutwest.Com to request a refund.

Hopefully our flights (Austin to Dallas & Dallas to FLL) will fly today.

Will update later.

Richard

Update re Thurs July 21:

Southwest Flight from Austin to Dallas took off on-time at 1:30pm

Southwest Flight from Dallas to FLL was delayed a couple of times, I think because they had another major computer glitch, and finally
took off about 6:30pm.

We finally got home about 11:30pm - so nice to finally be home after two long days hanging around airports.

I hope Southwest is able to fix the computer problems soon.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unions Seek Ouster of Southwest CEO After IT Breakdown - by David Koenig, AP Airlines Writer/ Business/ ABC News/ abcnews.go.com

"Two major unions at Southwest Airlines are demanding that the carrier replace its CEO because of the technology outage that caused the airline to cancel or delay thousands of flights in July.

Technology experts are questioning whether Southwest fell short in designing and testing its computer systems.

A top Southwest executive told The Associated Press on Monday that the July 20 outage will cost the airline "into the tens of millions" of dollars — a huge increase in the original estimate of between $5 million and $10 million..."

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My wife and I each received $200 vouchers from Southwest for our troubles on our trip from Seattle to FLL with the overnight in Austin due to the Flight Cancellation.

We'll certainly put them to good use.

Richard

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problems with Delta has shown a different light on the Southwest problems.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My wife and I each received $200 vouchers from Southwest for our troubles on our trip from Seattle to FLL with the overnight in Austin due to the Flight Cancellation.

We'll certainly put them to good use.

Richard

Richard - I just saw this thread. Ugh. What a pain in the rear, although at least you got something from Southwest. By any chance did you check the credit card that you used to purchase your ticket to see if it provided travel delay insurance? I saw a thread on Flyertalk a month or two ago and someone was stranded at an airport. The airline didn't provide any lodging, so they paid for a hotel themselves and they were able to get their lodging and meals (I believe) reimbursed through their credit card.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Richard - I just saw this thread. Ugh. What a pain in the rear, although at least you got something from Southwest. By any chance did you check the credit card that you used to purchase your ticket to see if it provided travel delay insurance? I saw a thread on Flyertalk a month or two ago and someone was stranded at an airport. The airline didn't provide any lodging, so they paid for a hotel themselves and they were able to get their lodging and meals (I believe) reimbursed through their credit card.

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for the tip. I contacted the credit card company, they gave me a different phone number to call and provided the insurance policy number. I called and asked if I was entitled to a refund for the hotel expenses. Turned out this situation was not a covered benefit.

Thanks again for the suggestion - I would not have thought of it.

Best regards,

Richard

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Hi Katherine,

Thanks for the tip. I contacted the credit card company, they gave me a different phone number to call and provided the insurance policy number. I called and asked if I was entitled to a refund for the hotel expenses. Turned out this situation was not a covered benefit.

Thanks again for the suggestion - I would not have thought of it.

Best regards,

Richard

Too bad! Well it was worth a try. :)