• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting a Car at EWR or PHL

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
In July I am going to Atlantic City for a long weekend. I can fly direct to EWR or a stopover to get to PHL. I can fly to ACY on Spirit with a stopover but a long connection.

Are cars always expensive at EWR/PHL? Other then getting to Atlantic City I only need to do a few errands. Once in Atlantic City people I am meeting up with will have cars but no time to do errands as it is a bachelor party.

So it is either renting a car or public transportation. The car can be dropped off where picked up but would prefer PHL as I can catch a direct flight to where I am going using avios miles.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are likely busses from both locations for cheap.

Weekend Cars get expensive near NY in the summer as the natives rent them to go DTS.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is an option as I do not really need a car and the resort parking is $10 a day but public transportation is not always the best. Still a walk to the resort.

imoapie

Reaction score
Public transportation from Newark to AC will not be easy or quick. You are looking at a bus option and god forbid this is friday night.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay ... here is my "I am a local" opinion.

Nothing on a FRIDAY night in JULY is going to be easy getting to Atlantic City. Every possible person in 'the PHL city' will be headed down the 42 Freeway to the ACE (Atlantic City Expressway) at 85-90MPH. 5 lanes of traffic and throw in toll booths (EZPass if you have one).

Come to PHL and then do the ACE on Thursday ... leaving PHL before noon (not at 1PM or 12:15PM) and travel will be at least NOT TOTALLY INSANE.

As for New York City .. .everyone in the city heads OUT for the weekend or the start of their vacation week(s). They go north, south (Jersey Shore where Springsteen & BonJovi grew up and then down 1/2 the state to AC) and West if they are NOT headed to one of the regional airports. And North Jersey traffic is many times WORST than South Jersey .. more lanes, more congestion, bigger trucks, and way more "I did not get any license any wheres" type of drivers. "Chicken" seems to be a popular game on the roads.

Understand ... a day of vacation more on Thursday and you will have a good weekend. Fly in and try coming down late on FRIDAY afternoon/early evening... you might not get there, find the place and get a parking spot til after 3AM (bars close at 2AM).

PS PHL airport is between 2 bridges to NJ... head north to the Walt Whitman Bridge ... dumps into the North-South Freeway which goes directly into the Atlantic City Expressway ... not a traffic light after getting onto the I-95 running past the PHL airport until you arrive in Atlantic City.

The Southern Bridge is the Commodore Barry Bridge onto RT322 and across the state to the coast (more or less) Takes way longer ... mostly 1 lane in each direction. Take ONLY if a I95 north or Walt Whitman has major accident. But after getting into NJ, go NORTH on I-295 and follow mapquest up to the 42 Freeway (North South Freeway).. follow above directions.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be flying in Wed or Thursday. I do not want to be delayed as I am the one checking in. Friday afternoon would be easy to get a ride from JFk or EWR with people coming from Long Island but I do not want to hold them up or wait for hours either. Nor do I want to sit in Friday rush hour.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fly in on Wed ... you will be totally amused by everyone else's adventures.

July is HIGH NJ SHORE season ... it is common for people as far a 150 miles inland to drive each weekend down to the shore (beach). People will take off in the middle of the week, to take a day trip down to the beach. Families, extended families, singles for going to the beach or boating or pier fishing.

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
An update. I flew in this morning to ewr and will rent a car for 1 day. Just waiting in the United Club for an hour or so I do not have return the car so early tomorrow. I will make a Costco stop.

No car rental locations left in Atlantic City itself. Have to return it to ACY.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to our HEAT WAVE! Remember, the beach and water will reflex the sun.

Do not try walking on the Boardwalk in flip-flops or sling back shoes. It is a WOODEN deck (basicly) out in the sun with the ocean providing moisture. You will get splinters and it will get HOT in the heat.

Enjoy your vacation ... good luck with the gaming tables. Take care with the traffic ... stay to the right lane with the trucks (ie professional drivers).

PS: I would have flown into PHL.

Last edited: