• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Alaska Air Companion

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you use the Alaska Air companion ticket for first class? I seem to remember reading that they took that away a couple years ago, but when I look at the online application, it doesn't say anything about it.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Can you use the Alaska Air companion ticket for first class? I seem to remember reading that they took that away a couple years ago, but when I look at the online application, it doesn't say anything about it.

Nope. Coach only. If there are seats available you can upgrade at check in for $$

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My wife and I used Alaska Companion Fare to Book two trips to Hawaii (we each have our own Alaska Visa account) then we used our miles to upgrade to First Class.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
From the fine print on the Alaska Air credit card application: (Boldface text highlighted by me)

"Annual Companion Fare benefit. Visa Signature® cardholders who make any combination of Net Purchases totaling at least $1,000 that post to the account within 90 days of the account open date will qualify for a round-trip coach Companion Fare on Alaska Airlines from $121 (USD) ($99 base fare plus taxes and fees, from $22 depending on your Alaska Airlines flight itinerary) when traveling with another passenger on a paid published coach airfare on the same itinerary, booked at the same time. A Companion Fare code will be credited to the primary cardholder's Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ account approximately within the first two billing cycles after qualifying for the Companion Fare benefit. Visa Signature cardholders whose accounts are open and in good standing on their annual Account Anniversary date will receive a Companion Fare code within the first two billing cycles after the Anniversary date each year. Platinum Plus® Visa® cardholders do not qualify for this benefit. The Companion Fare code must be redeemed within 12 months of the date of issue. Once ticketed, travel may be completed after the expiration date of the Companion Fare code. The expiration date cannot be extended and, once your Companion Fare code has expired, it cannot be exchanged. If your Account is closed, changed from an Alaska Airlines Visa Signature Account to an account other than a Visa Signature Account or an Account with no annual fee, you are no longer eligible to receive this benefit. Mileage cannot be used as a form of payment, however mileage credit accrual is allowed for both passengers. The Companion Fare code is not valid with award travel, and cannot be combined with any other airfare discounts. Applicable taxes and fees are subject to change."

Dave

Bill4728

Reaction score
Dave

I thought you were JeepguyNW?

;)

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave

I thought you were JeepguyNW?

;)

Bill

Bill, I've been a lot of things in my days on Tug. First it was Jeeps, then BMWs, now that I drive a Ford, I'm just plain ol' Dave. About the only thing that hasn't changed is the "NW" at the end. ;)

Dave

Last edited:

eakhat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have used miles to upgrade to 1st class twice. It works for us, but it isn't great. If you don't have an overnight stay, it takes 15,000 miles per person each way. We live in Minnesota; many of the available flights require an overnight stay on the way to Hawaii, which results in an additional 15,000 miles--30,000 miles to get to Hawaii instead of 15,000 miles. You also have to buy a more expensive upgradable fare in order to get the mileage upgrade to first class. I don't think we were able to access the airport lounge in Seattle since it was a mileage upgrade.