• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

London to Malaga: What airport is best?

Karenann

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am traveling from London to Malaga, Spain in mid-September. I am looking for advice on what airport to fly out of in London. I would like to book the flight from an airport with easy access to Kensington where I am staying in London. I see there are flights from Gatwick, Stansted, and Gatwick. I will have a suitcase and, therefore, would most likely take a cab/uber to the airport. I appreciated any suggestions. That you in advance.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The uber will cost more than the flight!

Gatwick is south of London and from Kensington to Victoria is a quick hop in an Uber or Cab to then Gatwick Express train or a Bus to the airport. It's a pretty long way from London center to Gatwick (mile wise)

Stanstead would be next up with a Victoria line to Tottenham then a Stanstead Express. Also a long expensive car ride.

I think you meant Luton as the final choice. That is really a North of London suburbs airport.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Closest airport to Kensington is actually Heathrow. Cab or tube to Heathrow or Heathrow Express or Connect from Paddington station after a short cab ride.

Cheers

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Your closest airport will be London City. BA (and Iberia) operate from there and there are scheduled flights to Malaga.

The tube from Kensington to the airport will take around 30 mins and cost about £5. Taxi will be quite expensive whilst Uber would be about £20.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
I am traveling from London to Malaga, Spain in mid-September. I am looking for advice on what airport to fly out of in London. I would like to book the flight from an airport with easy access to Kensington where I am staying in London. I see there are flights from Gatwick, Stansted, and Gatwick. I will have a suitcase and, therefore, would most likely take a cab/uber to the airport. I appreciated any suggestions. That you in advance.

Heathrow is my preferred London airport when staying in Kensington. If you're staying at the Marriott, the tube to Heathrow takes 40 minutes, is cheap, and there is an elevator at Earl's Court tube station (many tube stations only have stair access). An Uber ride will usually be 25-35 minutes as you'll avoid much of the congestion crossing London.

I don't think there are flights to Malaga, but BA flies between Heathrow and Gibraltar, which is just over an hour's drive to the Marriott timeshares. The flight and car rental will probably be more expensive than flying from Gatwick or Stansted to Malaga, but getting to the airport in London will be much easier. Note that the border crossing from Gibraltar to Spain can sometimes be very congested.

Flying to Malaga, I'd pick Gatwick airport over Stansted which is too far out of London for my taste. A taxi will be very expensive, but Uber prices are quite reasonable in London. A cheaper (and possibly quicker) alternative would be Uber from Kensington to Clapham Junction station, then 25 minute train to Gatwick. All in all, that's probably the option I would choose.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think there are flights to Malaga, but BA flies between Heathrow and Gibraltar, which is just over an hour's drive to the Marriott timeshares.

Of course there are flights to Malaga, it's one of the main airports for British and other European travellers heading for the Costa Del Sol. All the London airports offer flights to Malaga. From Heathrow BA and Iberia fly direct whilst all the other European ones connect.

I don't know why anyone would favour Heathrow or Gatwick over London City particularly if you're going to be based in Kensington, you want a quick and easy journey to the airport and one which is convenient.

Of course cheaper flights can be found if flying from Luton or Stansted but a cab is going to be more expensive, an airport taxi company will charge around £60.

Xpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II, Newport Coast, Canyon Villas, Grand Chateau, Phuket, Marbella, Playa Andaluza / HGVC Craigendarroch / Worldmark / Wyndham
Of course there are flights to Malaga, it's one of the main airports for British and other European travellers heading for the Costa Del Sol. All the London airports offer flights to Malaga. From Heathrow BA and Iberia fly direct whilst all the other European ones connect.

I don't know why anyone would favour Heathrow or Gatwick over London City particularly if you're going to be based in Kensington, you want a quick and easy journey to the airport and one which is convenient.

Of course cheaper flights can be found if flying from Luton or Stansted but a cab is going to be more expensive, an airport taxi company will charge around £60.

Are you sure about the flights from Heathrow to Malaga? That would be great, especially for Oneworld connections via LHR to Malaga, but all I can find are BA flights on Friday and Sunday only. Maybe the daily direct flights are only in high season?

I travel to London mainly for work so maybe that explains why my experience is different, but from my point of reference in Kensington (the Marriott), I think Heathrow is closer than City airport, and quicker by uber or by tube.

Kensington to Heathrow by tube does not require changing trains (which is a pain in London with all the stairs) and takes 40 min (vs 1 hour for City). By Uber it is also quicker as it's shorter and not as congested as crossing central London. From Kensington to Heathrow it's almost all 3-lane highway.

I love the quick security screening at City airport, but the airport is so small and congested, it's a very unpleasant experience when your flight is delayed - which has happened to me more often than at Heathrow.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll concur only Fr ans Su LHR nonstop

LCY is daily nonstop sometimes double daily but a spendy ticket vs a stopover ticket or alternate airport. $600 + round trip vs $240 from say STN.

BA / oneworld tourist flights are LGW. That shows $300 quad daily.

Then you get the LCCs

LGW Ezy does 6 a day about the same price as BA. Norwegian is cheaper from here.

STN has Ryanair 3x a day.

Marriott Kensington to Victoria Station is likely easier than to Clapham Junction. Level platform access rather than the hubbub of Clapham 'up the junction' then onto the gatwick express or Southern under an hour room to check in desk line.

STN is Earls Court (elevator) picadilly to Victoria (level platform transfer at green park) then Victoria to Tottenham hale and up escalators. Then anglia to the airport. 1h 30 hotel to bag drop.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you sure about the flights from Heathrow to Malaga? That would be great, especially for Oneworld connections via LHR to Malaga, but all I can find are BA flights on Friday and Sunday only. Maybe the daily direct flights are only in high season?

I was replying to your statement that there were no flights to Malaga not that there were no weekday flights!