• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rescued points - best option?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, had like 5000 points from 2015 that I had to rescue in to 2016, but by then I had already used/borrowed all my 2016 points (I bought another resale and by the time the sellers signed off and Hilton processed, I had like a month left in 2015, so that's why I had the points leftover).

Anyway, I had booked the points for my sister, but due to some family medical issues, she's having to cancel. I have the cancellation protection, but that only "saves" my points.

So, since they're rescued, I cannot use them to book Fiesta Americana resorts, I cannot book stays with Hilton for 2017, so the options as I see them:

1) Try to book something and rent it out this year. (unlikely, IMO since Thanksgiving and Christmas dates are already all gone).

2) Deposit into RCI, but I think it's like $106 to deposit, then it gives me 2 years, but then I think I also have to pay the $219 fee when booking with RCI at that point?

3) Book a cruise (I have found a few that are either the same as my MF/point or actually a little better).

4) Try to get an RCI Exchange and then have RCI pull the points so I don't end up paying the deposit fee plus the exchange fee.

5) I have 2 other existing reservations that were booked previously with Hilton, so some of my 2017 points were used for those. Can I call Hilton and have them somehow "move" the points around without cancelling the 2 previous reservations? In other words, I would cancel my sister's reservation, get the points deposited back into my account, then call Hilton and say: Can you re-allocated Reservation XYZ so that it uses all the 2016 rescued points instead of borrowing from the 2017 points?

Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This is giving me a headache, but I think your best bet is in the last paragraph.

Can I call Hilton and have them somehow "move" the points around without cancelling the 2 previous reservations? In other words, I would cancel my sister's reservation, get the points deposited back into my account, then call Hilton and say: Can you re-allocate Reservation XYZ so that it uses all the 2016 rescued points instead of borrowing from the 2017 points?

BTW... Option #4 won't do it for you becuz RCI does not pull the points, HGVC does, and they go back into your HGVC account as they were before. IOW, 2015 rescued points return with eggasactly the same status.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is giving me a headache, but I think your best bet is in the last paragraph.

BTW... Option #4 won't do it for you becuz RCI does not pull the points, HGVC does, and they go back into your HGVC account as they were before. IOW, 2015 rescued points return with eggasactly the same status.

Thanks! So if I cancel the reservation, I have 5000 points in 2016 (that were rescued from 2015), and you're saying that if I do an RCI Exchange, they won't use the 5000 points from 2016 to book the exchange?

I guess by "pull" I meant that RCI would use points from my HGVC account (oldest first?) for the exchange.

I figured that (of the RCI options) would be the cheapest?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Thanks! So if I cancel the reservation, I have 5000 points in 2016 (that were rescued from 2015), and you're saying that if I do an RCI Exchange, they won't use the 5000 points from 2016 to book the exchange?

Not what I meant to say...

First: HGVC has changed the term "rescue" to "save" in its Rules + website.
Why? Only the hoseheads at HGVC know.

When booking RCI for whenever, points are drawn in this order:
1. Points deposited to the RCI Program (to keep them from expiring).
2. Points rescued ("saved") from a prior year (your 2015 points).
3. Current-Year points.
4. Future-Year Points (up to the next two).

So, the RCI booking you made in 2016 used 'saved' points. If you cancel that booking by 12/31/16, the points return as 'saved' points. They expire on 12/31/16, unless you do one of these things before then:

1. Make another RCI booking.
2. Ask that another existing booking be adjusted to use these points, instead.
3. Deposit them to the RCI Program for future use.*
*"On or before December 31 of the current year, members may deposit any remaining 'saved' ClubPoints into RCI for future reservations. Saved Points deposited into RCI are valid from the date of deposit through an additional calendar year." -- The Rules.

I know... Clear as mud.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

I think I understand your situation. You have three 2016 reservations remaining this year. One reservation used rescued points and the other two reservations may have used borrowed 2017 points.

If I got it right then I agree with Talent312 that your best bet is option #5.

Call the HGVC Service Desk first before you cancel and explain your situation but keep it simple.
For example "I currently have three 2016 reservation. One reservation used rescued points and the other two reservations may have used borrowed 2017 points. I want to cancel my 2016 reservation that used rescued points. Can you reallocate my points so that my other two reservations use all of my rescue points first instead of borrowing from 2017?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not what I meant to say...

First: HGVC has changed the term "rescue" to "save" in its Rules + website.
Why? Only the hoseheads at HGVC know.

When booking RCI for whenever, points are drawn in this order:
1. Points deposited to the RCI Program (to keep them from expiring).
2. Points rescued ("saved") from a prior year (your 2015 points).
3. Current-Year points.
4. Future-Year Points (up to the next two).

So, the RCI booking you made in 2016 used 'saved' points. If you cancel that booking by 12/31/16, the points return as 'saved' points. They expire on 12/31/16, unless you do one of these things before then:

1. Make another RCI booking.
2. Ask that another existing booking be adjusted to use these points, instead.
3. Deposit them to the RCI Program for future use.*
*"On or before December 31 of the current year, members may deposit any remaining 'saved' ClubPoints into RCI for future reservations. Saved Points deposited into RCI are valid from the date of deposit through an additional calendar year." -- The Rules.

I know... Clear as mud.

ah I see. Perhaps then I wasn't clear that my sister's reservation was via Hilton directly, not via RCI. So if I cancel her HGVC reservation it's HGVC points that go back, but they were "rescued" 2015 points, so if i was going to use RCI to "save" them was the scenario I was trying to convey.

But given AlwaysOnVac reply below, that's 2 votes for seeing if Hilton can re-allocate the existing reservation points which seems the best.

Too bad the website doesn't give you a points "history" so you can see what points were used for which reservation and how much.

But I'll call and see what can be done, but probably don't do that for 2 more weeks (I have time).

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, #5 will work. Just do it on the phone with them. They will actually cancel your 2016 reservation. Your 2017 points will go back. And then they will immediately re-book the identical 2016 reservation and it will pull from the 2015 rescued points. I do it all the time to make sure I'm always using the "oldest" points and not get stuck in your situation.

KathyA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, #5 will work. Just do it on the phone with them. They will actually cancel your 2016 reservation. Your 2017 points will go back. And then they will immediately re-book the identical 2016 reservation and it will pull from the 2015 rescued points. I do it all the time to make sure I'm always using the "oldest" points and not get stuck in your situation.

Hilton will not let you use 2016 points to make a 2017 reservation. I have tried this on numerous occasions. Even when I've had current year points left, when I have made a reservation for the following calendar year, they use the following calendar year's points, leaving me with the remaining current year points.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Hilton will not let you use 2016 points to make a 2017 reservation. I have tried this on numerous occasions.

You are correct... for HGVC bookings.
For HGVC bookings, you'd need to rescue ("save") 2016 points to 2017 (for a fee) to use them for a stay in 2017.

For booking RCI thru the HGVC-RCI connection, however, the system draws previously deposited, rescued, current and future points by age w/o a rescue or deposit.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct... for HGVC bookings.
For HGVC bookings, you'd need to rescue ("save") 2016 points to 2017 (for a fee) to use them for a stay in 2017.

For booking RCI thru the HGVC-RCI connection, however, the system draws previously deposited, rescued, current and future points by age w/o a rescue or deposit.

Just an update, that is NOT how RCI does the point buckets, or at least they didn't when I made the exchange last week. They drew the old NOT saved points. I called and spoke to Crystal at HGVC and the only way to get RCI to pull saved points is you have to deposit them into RCI first. In this case, the rep said my only option (since the RCI exchange was already booked) is to deposit the points, wait a week or more for them to process into RCI and then call back and HGVC will "redo" the point bucket.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yeah... I realize now that the expiration date of banked points is a controlling element which cannot be avoided by booking stay in a future year. I have been duly educated.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I realize now that the expiration date of banked points is a controlling element which cannot be avoided by booking stay in a future year. I have been duly educated.

No worries. No harm done. The website isn't the easiest to figure this out. But all solved in time, and they'll get it straightened out. Still better than losing that many points.

Have a great day!