• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 Disney Attractions Reach Their End of The Line

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree. The Maelstrom (Epcot), the Studio Back Lot tour and the American Idol Experience.

Article here:

http://www.bostonherald.com/enterta..._disney_attractions_reach_the_end_of_the_line

ORLANDO, Fla. — Within five weeks of each other, three attractions closed at Walt Disney World: Maelstrom at Epcot, the Studio Backlot Tour and American Idol Experience at Hollywood Studios.

While it’s not uncommon for theme parks to shut down attractions and replace them with new ones tied to current movies and characters, closing three within such a short span is unusual.

American Idol, which opened in 2009, closed Aug. 30. The Backlot Tour, one of the original attractions when Hollywood Studios opened in 1989, closed at the end of September. The Maelstrom ships, which debuted at Epcot’s Norway Pavilion in 1988, made their last run on Oct. 5.

A ride based on the movie “Frozen” will replace Maelstrom, and it will happen relatively quickly — Disney says it will open in early 2016 — making it likely that the “Frozen” ride will be built on Maelstrom’s track with new scenery and theming.

Disney won’t say what will replace the Hollywood Studios attractions, and the closings have sparked plenty of speculation among fans: Will Disney take advantage of its acquisition of Lucasfilm and build a whole “Star Wars” land? Will it bring Radiator Springs Racers from Cars Land at California Adventure Park to Orlando? Expand the popular but bottlenecked Toy Story Midway Mania?

Bob Iger, CEO of Walt Disney Co., told Bloomberg TV last year that “there is a fair amount of development going on at Disney Imagineering right now to expand the ‘Star Wars’ presence in California and in Orlando.” He wouldn’t give any details, but it’s noteworthy that Hollywood Studios is home of the Star Tours ride, Jedi Training Academy and annual “Star Wars” weekends.

Disney also won’t talk about the thinking behind the decisions to close the three attractions. A statement about the Maelstrom closure was typical: “We regularly find ourselves balancing the things that guests have always loved about Disney parks with continuing to provide new experiences. We are always focused on making the guest experience the best it can possibly be.”

But guests are often sentimental about attractions and protest closures, whether it be Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at Magic Kingdom, or Kongfrontation at Universal Studios. Universal Orlando closed attractions to make room for two Harry Potter areas — part of the Lost Continent area for Hogsmeade at Islands of Adventure, and Jaws for Diagon Alley, which opened this year at Universal Studios.

“Theme parks are smart. They do a lot of research. They know what’s popular and what’s not popular,” said Robert Niles, editor of Theme Park Insider. “Sure, Jaws had fans, but no one is going to argue ‘No, we shouldn’t have done Diagon Alley and kept Jaws.’ ”

Most of the protests over Disney’s most recent closures were about Maelstrom, a slow boat tour through Norway and its polar bears, trolls, fjords and waterfalls. Maelstrom, located in World Showcase, a part of Epcot devoted to learning about countries around the world, will be replaced with a ride set in the fictional village of Arendelle.

“In this particular instance, the objection is that they are taking what corresponds with real life in Norway and are replacing it with fiction,” said Len Testa, co-author of “The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.” “So it doesn’t really fit into the World Showcase. Arendelle is not a place.”

=

Last edited:

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
“In this particular instance, the objection is that they are taking what corresponds with real life in Norway and are replacing it with fiction,” said Len Testa, co-author of “The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.” “So it doesn’t really fit into the World Showcase. Arendelle is not a place.”

I have to laugh at someone who complains that they're being fed something unauthentic and fictional at Disney World.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have to laugh at someone who complains that they're being fed something unauthentic and fictional at Disney World.

Perhaps ignorance is bliss? If you've never traveled outside the US, Epcot may be as authentic as you're going to get.

I remember going to the world's fairs with my parents and being in awe of all the country pavilions. Epcot probably has the same feel for many.

Deb

dundey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - BLT & WLV, Cliff Club, Bolton Valley, Morritt's, Sudwala
Sorry to see The Maelstrom go. Its always been one of the highlights of going to Epcot for us.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also liked Maelstrom. Usually no lines (which may have caused it's demise). We did backlot tour last year and they had a problem. This might have caused it's demise also. Never went to the American Idol experience, so have no thoughts about it.

Nancy

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
,,,. Never went to the American Idol experience, so have no thoughts about it.

Nancy

Perhaps BIG FOOT PRINT on the space, GREAT location, only 1 or 2 shows per day (if that, as I never have remember seeing any going into the theater), performers who HAD NO interest as a career from age 18 to 35 as a part time talent wasting the best years of their lives, performer reviews were not on the level of the TV shows' performers, judges NOT being the big name TV show persons ...

And did I mention, I hate watching the TV show and shows like that?