• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI New Trading Power

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I don't get the trades I want, I use my timeshares! I guess RCI figured out(duh) SA owners can not easily do this, and they can cut trading power with impunity.
Sounds like an argument for using DAE or another independent!

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian, thanks for checking the value assigned on Durban Sands.

If I could ask either you or abdibile a favor, would you mind checking, from the RCI Europe site, if Durban Sands shows up as a resort option. The reason I ask is that it hasn't been an available trade on the RCI USA web site for some time. So if you can't book a week from the US or Europe, who is able to?

I do not see availability at Durban Sands.

Generally I see much less availability in South Africa than when i started looking around two years ago.

Without other filters and "see all deposit" there are only 327 units in South Africa. (My last deposit expires may 2013, do not know if that matters when shosing see all units)

But I think "RCI Europe Site" is not really different from US.

I acess it through RCI.com website and after logging in it just is in German as this is set in my preferences.

wdaveo

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I go to Manage Accounts it shows me three weeks (2010, 2011, 2012) and a link to "Deposit Now". Does this mean my weeks were never deposited or am I reading something wrong? I did instruct Dikhololo to deposit my weeks as soon as they were paid for.

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I go to Manage Accounts it shows me three weeks (2010, 2011, 2012) and a link to "Deposit Now". Does this mean my weeks were never deposited or am I reading something wrong? I did instruct Dikhololo to deposit my weeks as soon as they were paid for.

It sounds like they were never deposited. On that same page, at the bottom under "combine your weeks" it shows the weeks that have been deposited.

dundey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - BLT & WLV, Cliff Club, Bolton Valley, Morritt's, Sudwala
Sounds like an argument for using DAE or another independent!

Exactly right! I use 3 of the weeks I own every year for ski and beach vacations. The others are traded, or given to family.
I've contacted all my resorts and asked them to dual affiliate with II.

My VRI week will go to variety next year.

Less options for SA weeks, but DAE is worth a look. Its also possible to sell or even rent SA peak weeks, since these weeks are in high demand for European travelers.

Last edited:

JACKC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sudwala Deposits

For comparison my 1br Sudwala peak week deposits for expiration 2011,2012,2113 are respectively 18,18,14 pts. Looking at possible exchanges for next year, I'm surprised how well they pull! Had planned to "dump" my week, but maybe I'll hang onto it and go to some nice places I hadn't counted on.

Jack

tedk

TUG Member
Reaction score
After Black Sunday i could see how badly RCI were downgrading the South African resorts and decided to cut my losses. I am glad i did, when i see how they have all been hammered. As a earlier poster said South Africa is limited availability ALL YEAR yet they get rated so bad. The resorts i owned were hardly ever shown on line available, so why are they so badly rated. What i have been told is that most locals do not exchange their weeks or are points members. That is not much cheer to others who own there. On a more personal note buying into the UK has proved a good move for me, as my resort weeks have done OK.
Ted

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The RCI Europe website has much the same look as the US site. The main differences you note in the English version is the use of British English instead of the US version (''holiday'' instead of ''vacation'' for example), contact numbers being in Europe rather than the US, prices in pounds sterling instead of dollars, and when you get to searching for avabilibility, the fact that at least in Europe, you suddenly see more than using the same deposit(s) from the US site. I have not added any weeks since transfering my account to Europe, but I recall from dealing with a resort earlier, that to add a week to an RCI Europe account, there was a fee unlike in North America. I also find that pricing on Extra Vacations, while usually close to the same, is sometimes wildly different that what it is on the US site at exactly the same time. I have found some that floored me and called a friend back in the states to look it up there. The home page on RCI.com is the same, and it is once you sign in that it shoots you to the correct RCI site.

I do not see availability at Durban Sands.

Generally I see much less availability in South Africa than when i started looking around two years ago.

Without other filters and "see all deposit" there are only 327 units in South Africa. (My last deposit expires may 2013, do not know if that matters when shosing see all units)

But I think "RCI Europe Site" is not really different from US.

I acess it through RCI.com website and after logging in it just is in German as this is set in my preferences.

Last edited:

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
After Black Sunday i could see how badly RCI were downgrading the South African resorts and decided to cut my losses. I am glad i did, when i see how they have all been hammered. As a earlier poster said South Africa is limited availability ALL YEAR yet they get rated so bad. The resorts i owned were hardly ever shown on line available, so why are they so badly rated. What i have been told is that most locals do not exchange their weeks or are points members. That is not much cheer to others who own there. On a more personal note buying into the UK has proved a good move for me, as my resort weeks have done OK.
Ted

Stouts Hill did not get hammered like SA, but is still undervalued given its supply / demand situation as the only timeshare in the Cotswolds, Gold Crown, and with a limited number of units. Especially when they give a Myrtle Beach timeshare that is a long way off the beach a 60. Or a 1BR at Vacation Village at Parkway, the resort with the biggest oversupply in the entire RCI system a 50.

jdetar

TUG Member
Reaction score
...Or a 1BR at Vacation Village at Parkway, the resort with the biggest oversupply in the entire RCI system a 50.

I remember taking a tour at vacation village at parkway from David Siegel's next door neighbor. It was one of the more memorable tours we ever took. One thing I do remember him saying was some very strong political ties between RCI and that resort. I imagine that is why you are seeing that...

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
2010 DIK, week 12, 17 points (this use to be a Tiger)

2011 DIK, week 12, 16 points (average-to-weak trader before)

2010 Tenbury, week 27 (a Peak week), 8 stinking points (use to be a Tiger too)

Very sad. I'm combining all 3 in January, which will give me 2 years to find an awesome Hawaii week. Then, bye-bye RCI. TPI is getting most of my deposits now.

freedom53

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not see anyone reporting on Castleburn yet. I have a Red 2bedroom week expiring Nov 2011 that has 24 trading power. I am quite happy with that.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a 'freebie' Castleburn week for a 1-time exchange when I first purchased SA. Got me to Aruba. :) I think you have a winner in the scheme of things. Who knows what happens in the future.

jbrunson

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was always a little disconcerting to have the peak-2 Sudwala week vary dramatically tear to year. The new system may shed some light. 2010 had a 20, 2011 down to 14. It looks like RCI values two spring weeks at 20, but which two vary. For 2011 it is 15 and 16, for 2012 it is 13 and 14. Are these supposed to be the "peak" weeks? If so they are out of sync with Sudwala. The paperwork form Sudwala says the school calendar isn't finalized until August the previous year. It may be RCI just guesses when the weeks are deposited in March.

kiyotaka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sudwala just deposited my 2012 week (1 br, H20), it gets only 14.

Gary

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points for deposit vs points lite

Years ago, I bought a local points TS so I could do Points for deposit with my SA weeks. I have a Port Alfred Sands 3BR week 6 red week which I happily get 57,000 points for each year. In this new system, it only gets 16 points in the weeks system! So here we have RCI valuing the same week in 2 ways with very different valuations.

On the other hand, I have 2 Silversands 1BR, week 9 and 6 which get only 8 points, and only 18,000 PFD. Given the increase in levy over the years, it makes me doubt that these are worth keeping anymore. I do sense that this might cause a lot of us to dump SA weeks, and in this economic climate, might hurt the whole SA industry.

Reaction score
Gary, you are abolutely right. I have 3 with no place to go. I may give back 2 of the 3 and just use one for trading in the 45 day window.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting in the 45 day window seems to be more cost effective than using a low value week to trade then. Points lite is going to encourage bailouts of low value weeks owners under the new regime, and not just in South Africa.

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then and Now

I used to have 2 Durban Sands 1BR units that currently have 8 and 9 TP.

Here are the current TP required to obtain 10 trades I made with those units:

21, 18, 22, 18, 22, 14, 30, 12, 16, 19... an average of 19.2 points per trade.

I obviously couldn't make those trades today. It looks like TP has been devalued by around 50%. Thank God I was able to dump the SA.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
SA is not the only place that has had its trade power whacked. My summer weeks in southern England did as well. The points lite RCI awards now would not make the trades I have made with them in the past. And my resort is one that seldom has availibility online any time of year. Lots of areas got hosed so that RCI could overpoint the overbuilt areas. Those turkeys will never get my UK weeks ever again.

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
My "peak" (week 27) Tenbury 1BR dropped in TP to 8. It use to be an awesome trader. But since it's in the First Resorts family, and they're planning either a. a large SA or b. converting the place to apartments I'm getting out. I emailed the resort and they are sending me the paperwork to deed the unit back to the HOA assoc.

I hate to get rid of it because of the low MF/levy but the future does not look good. "Bullfrog" Lamont is a dastardly man. Look what happened to The Seapointer. :(

Last edited:

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's great they are willing to take it back, Phil.
However, with DS, it's probably a different story--I've heard they're not willing to take it back.

mtforeman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember taking a tour at vacation village at parkway from David Siegel's next door neighbor. It was one of the more memorable tours we ever took. One thing I do remember him saying was some very strong political ties between RCI and that resort. I imagine that is why you are seeing that...

A 2 bedroom at Vacation Village at Parkway runs 9-25 depending on time of year.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
A 2 bedroom at Vacation Village at Parkway runs 9-25 depending on time of year.

Try week 51 or 52. For a 1BR, RCI gives them 50 points lite to deposit but only requires 10 to take it in a trade. That is deliberate overpointing, and it also shows that they also know what it is really worth.

Given that the 2BR are L/O's, I doubt any will get deposited as 2BR. They will be split into two 1BR's and those totalled up add up to a lot more points.