• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 88.1%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I finally received a response. The person handling my request is no longer with DRI. To date they have been unable to locate our deeds. One week I know has a deed and I'm nearly 100 % certain I have the paperwork in my files. The second was an upgrade from a suites to villas unit. The salesman to,d us not to worry about the closing costs since it was an upgrade. I never received a deed. I recall contacting DRI and was told not to worry about it. Since it wasn't a problem using our week, I followed their advice and didn't worry about it. Once again listening to a timeshare company appears to be biting me in the butt.

So, here's a question. If there are no deeds to my "deeded" weeks, do I even own them? Can they foreclose on a deeded week if DRI never properly transferred the deed into our name? I don't think I like this rabbit hole we appear to have fallen into.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this possible? Doug, can you asked for a copy of the deed from the court house?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I finally received a response. The person handling my request is no longer with DRI. To date they have been unable to locate our deeds. One week I know has a deed and I'm nearly 100 % certain I have the paperwork in my files. The second was an upgrade from a suites to villas unit. The salesman to,d us not to worry about the closing costs since it was an upgrade. I never received a deed. I recall contacting DRI and was told not to worry about it. Since it wasn't a problem using our week, I followed their advice and didn't worry about it. Once again listening to a timeshare company appears to be biting me in the butt.

So, here's a question. If there are no deeds to my "deeded" weeks, do I even own them? Can they foreclose on a deeded week if DRI never properly transferred the deed into our name? I don't think I like this rabbit hole we appear to have fallen into.

Most states let you search for deeds online. You may have to use different search criteria, the property name, you last name, etc. If you can locate the deed online, you may also be able to order a copy online and download it at a minimal cost.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Most states let you search for deeds online. You may have to use different search criteria, the property name, you last name, etc. If you can locate the deed online, you may also be able to order a copy online and download it at a minimal cost.

I did an online search using Clark County's site. I can't locate an recorded deed in our name.

I found the one Grant Deed I knew I had along with the title insurance documents. I've sent them the information from that Grant Deed. We'll see what happens. My bet is they never recorded the deeds appropriately. Which begs the question, where these weeks ever mine or did the deeds remain in DRI's name? If that's the case, is DRI the legitimate owner of these weeks? If DRI is the recorded owner, can I just stop paying MF's on weeks I don't own?

What I fear is that I'll need to get a property lawyer involved to find out what my legal rights may be, which could make this a much more expensive problem all the way around unless I can get some sort of relief from DRI for their mistakes in completing the transaction.

dude-luv

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does US Notarization bypass authentication requirements?

The process has started and I expect to receive the surrender package within a few weeks. Reading the thread, it seems as if Canadians not only are required to have their documents notarized but also 'authenticated.' As a Canadian, can I cross over the border and have the notarization process completed by a US notary (and therefore bypass the 'authentication' requirement)? Note that 'authentification' is done through the Canadian government and takes time.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did an online search using Clark County's site. I can't locate an recorded deed in our name.

I found the one Grant Deed I knew I had along with the title insurance documents. I've sent them the information from that Grant Deed. We'll see what happens. My bet is they never recorded the deeds appropriately. Which begs the question, where these weeks ever mine or did the deeds remain in DRI's name? If that's the case, is DRI the legitimate owner of these weeks? If DRI is the recorded owner, can I just stop paying MF's on weeks I don't own?

What I fear is that I'll need to get a property lawyer involved to find out what my legal rights may be, which could make this a much more expensive problem all the way around unless I can get some sort of relief from DRI for their mistakes in completing the transaction.

Doug, did you search under the following information?
Clark County's
Name: Polo Towers Masters
Tax District...470
Acct #: 114645

kalima

TUG Member
Reaction score
Notary

The process has started and I expect to receive the surrender package within a few weeks. Reading the thread, it seems as if Canadians not only are required to have their documents notarized but also 'authenticated.' As a Canadian, can I cross over the border and have the notarization process completed by a US notary (and therefore bypass the 'authentication' requirement)? Note that 'authentification' is done through the Canadian government and takes time.

When I bought my resale Hawaii unit I had to get paperwork notarized by a Notary that was recognized by the US Consulate. I did NOT need to go to the States to do this. You can phone some local notaries and ask if they are recognized by the US Consulate. That was my experience buying anyway:)

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Doug, did you search under the following information?
Clark County's
Name: Polo Towers Masters
Tax District...470
Acct #: 114645
I have now. No help. What's weird is I have one Grant Deed in my possession. The other unit I know I never received a copy of the deed (I keep all my deeds in a file cabinet and know where they are). My bad for never following up on the one I don't have.

However, having the one in hand and having sent photo's of it to loss mitigation I would expect to have the one unit out of my possession in the near future. How the second unit needs to be handled with no deed in my name is another issue. I do have a copy of the original sales contract but that's about as far as it goes.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Loss mitigation said they were putting our case on a priority basis as it's taken so long already. Hopefully this can be concluded by the end of the year. They also mentioned there has been a lot of turnover in this department.

gsagan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finalized?

Our check was cashed by Diamond and we don't seem to be in the system anymore. Hope this is final!! So you all that have done the paperwork. Hang in there.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got email on 10-30 that they would take our weeks, but still waiting for the paperwork. Sent an email earlier in the week asking for an update.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Do your records show that you paid for title insurance on the upgrade transaction? If you did, contact the title insurance company and let them deal with it; that's what title insurance is for.

gand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this buy back also apply to Los Abrigados units not owned by DRI?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not sure, but if its not a DRI property...i doubt they would take it back.

the only cost involved to find out is an email, id give that a shot.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
email them and ask, nothing really to lose!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
We received the paperwork to give back the Suites at PoloTowers week that we were issued a deed. In the end I had to send them photo's of the deed and then they were able to locate it.

As to the Villa's week, we were never issued a deed and I find no record of our paying closing costs. That week was a "trade in" upgrade from another Suites at PoloTowers week. That week remains in limbo. At the moment I'm in doubt that the take back offer from DRI can be completed before the end of the year.

Last edited:

farmgirl56

Reaction score
Check Cleared and no acct access on website

An update on my inventory takeback. As of today, my check cleared the bank and I no longer have access to my account on the Diamond Resorts website. I sent an email requesting written confirmation that my account is closed, but all things are pointing that I am free and clear of Diamond Resorts.

Has anyone received any other confirmation of a closed account other than a cleared check and no website access?

Thank you TUG!!!!

And a huge thank you to Bill4728 for directing me to this thread in the first place!

Last edited:

chuck0799

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI is very slow in responding to deedback requests

You need to be persistent with them -- it took them almost a month to get back to us and that was after several calls. Cost for deedback is roughly $250 per contract.

WarHorse47

Reaction score
An update on my inventory takeback. As of today, my check cleared the bank and I no longer have access to my account on the Diamond Resorts website. I sent an email requesting written confirmation that my account is closed, but all things are pointing that I am free and clear of Diamond Resorts.

Has anyone received any other confirmation of a closed account other than a cleared check and no website access?

Thank you TUG!!!!

And a huge thank you to Bill4728 for directing me to this thread in the first place!
Yes. I sent them an e-mail requesting confirmation on our deedback. They responded with a scanned copy of the recorded Warranty Deed filed with the county.

--Tom

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
love to hear this is still successful!